In Ear Monitor Problem w/ Sennhieser EW 300 IEM G2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drod2045, Jun 24, 2008.

1. drod2045

drod2045 Member

my lead singer is having an issue with his in ear monitors. This is how he describes the issue:
    "Fuzzy response, low end (bass) drops in and out, gain level has been reduced GREATLY since first purchased. Tried fooling with all the settings to no avail."

the model is: Sennhieser EW 300 IEM G2

any help out there?

2. drod2045

drod2045 Member

13 views no reply? anyone???

:hide

3. Smü

Smü Member

- Battery? 'Scuse the question, but hey, nothing I haven't seen yet. Is the battery fresh?
    If he uses rechargeables, well, any green party guy will jump me, but they are a no-go in high energy sucking devices as a wireless belt pack. Unless you are about to get yerself a Fischer Amps power station plus matching rechargeables, go with normal batteries, high energy preferrably. Nothing with "VOS", "NOS" or "vintage" as a marketing tool advertised.

- how are the antennas applied? Up front the case or without the front panel, sticking out in the back of the case? If they make contact with the metal fittings, there might be a significant signal loss. Additionally, sometimes they interfere with other devices mounted in a case if applied as mentioned.

- Mind the distance between receiver and antenna. Not too much distance, but too little. About 8 to 10 feet should be maintained.

- frequency / -ies: Any other wireless device working whilst the problem occurs? This includes old mobile phones. If any other instrumental device is active, check the frequency and lay some distance between 'em. 800.000 and 800.100 MhZ are pretty tight with each other. If there is a Nady System running THROW IT AWAY!!! It will make you grow little itching warts on your nose and you lose the ability to speak AND to mate. Seriously! The brother-in-law of a school mate from my uncle's postman has seen this happening to an acquaintance of his. Or so ...

- Antenna, pt.2: Upon the receiver, is the little antenna tightly secured?

- reset it to stock settings. Fooling around with threshold and gain is mostly a mother to do right, Sennheiser still has some decent stock settings than will normally make you ready to go.

- Could the headphones be the reason? He should try and get some other in-ear-phones to exclude this. Those mini jacks are a PITA.

Hmmm ... must think. Maybe I will come up with something more.

4. drod2045

drod2045 Member

thanks for all your info Smu. Ill pass this onto him. He uses a senheiser wireless guitar, and I use the X2 wireless also. I wonder if either may be causing the issue. Illl see if he tested them on his own

Thanks!

5. Smü

Smü Member

My pleasure. We use 6 (yeah, that's SIX!) wireless devices in our band, all Sennheisers except one and haven't had any major issues that couldn't be labeled as "user mistake".

Come to think of it ... we only had one major issue, and that was a broken plug upon the receiver.

6. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Smu thanks again. It turned out to be the ear buds. He tried a different set and it sounded as it should. Somethin is up with them. He'll take it from there.

thanks!
    :banana

7. DAB

DAB Member

How are you feeding signal into the transmitter? I had a problem once that ended up being phase cancellation. I was taking a separate left and right signal off of the board and combining using a 2 into one stereo plug and feeding that into the IEM transmitter. When combined the left and right signals cancelled each other out causing the sound to be cut in half or less and it sounded very hollow with no bass.

Anyway something to check out.

8. DSmith

DSmith Member

He should check the frequency that he's transmitting on? Those units transmit from 518 MHz to 866 MHz depending on the requency group he purchased (There's A, B, C, D, E). The FCC has started selling the 700 MHz range which is a very common range for wireless music gear and I've got a friend with wireless that experinces similar problems now in that range. See the current link for some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/700_Mhz_wireless_spectrum_auction