In-ear Monitor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Sep 7, 2015.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I tried searching but couldn't find a solid IEM thread. What's the current hotness for IEM's? I was thinking about picking one up since I can never hear the floor wedges when playing live.

2. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

1964ears have become very popular. I have the triple driver, plus a Sennhiesser radio system

crambone likes this.
  3. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I have a set of triple drivers from 1964ears. I love them. There are many ways to get sound there. Carvin has a system that's hard to beat for the money (250$), shure and sennheiser have some really nice systems that are incredible, but they're quite a bit more. Or you could send the signal from the board directly to your snake, then come out of the snake into a headphone amp (rolls pm50 works great for this), then out of that to your IEMs. I bought an extender cable for this purpose to give a longer leash.

4. 3dognate

3dognate Member

You mean entire system? Transmitter/Reciever/Ear buds? What's your budget? You can spend anywhere from a

There's been a ton of threads.

IEM Systems
    Shure PSM900 is tour grade Shure
    Shure PSM300 is the newest prosumer grade Shure and their entry into full featured stereo IEM
    Shure PSM200 is Entry Level Mono IEM
    Sennheiser EW300 is prosumer grade Sennheiser
    Audio Technica M2 and M3 systems are good prosumer grade (M3 adds detachable antenna for use with a combiner and a bit more transmitter power.. features are otherwise the same.)
    MiPro 808 - On par with the Sennhieser and Older Shure PSM700 series... Very nicely featured and reliable... a bit of an outlier though asit's a Tiawan company and there's not a big US presence (I use one and it's fabulous)
    MiPro 909 - Their newest Digital IEM... Specs are bad ass and if the build quality is as good as my 808... they'll be amazing.
    AKG makes one that hasn't gotten a ton of traction.
    Carvin EM900 - Entry level stereo IEM system... We have some for my band mates.. they are okay... have been reliable... but are fussy about input signal but are serviceable.
    Galaxy ---- Steer away unless you are flat broke. their stuff only extends to 80hz on the low end...yuck.

IEM Molded Ear Bud companies
    Ultimate Ears - (Good deal on a 4 driver universal, but their molded solutions are $$$)
    Alien Ears - (Good reputation.. I have a set of remolded universal 4 driver Ultimate Ears arriving tomorrow... I can report back. I have friends that love thiers
    1964 ears - I have a pair of dual driver models that I've used for the last 4-5 years and they have served me well.
    JH Audio - Great reputation not cheap
    Westone - Prepare for sticker shock for molded buds

IEM Universal ear buds
    Ultimate Ears
    Shure
    Westone

ceeinwa likes this.
  5. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

The above is good info, although I'd put the Sennhisser EW300 into Tour Grade, not prosumer category. I've never used the MiPro, but I reckon digital has got to be good.

6. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

I'd also add Sensaphonics to the list of custom molded IEM companies.

7. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

What would a basic IEM setup cost?

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I'd probably budget $350 or $400

9. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

I am assuming you just mean the earbuds, I don't know of many complete systems with earbuds worth listening to that sell for $350-400

crambone likes this.
  10. griggsterr

While I'm at it Try the Galaxy Audio AS1100 or the AS1800 the 1100 is one of the least expensive frequency agile systems on the market, and the 1800 specs out better than almost any other IEM system
    but do be prepared to buy decent earbuds with anyone's system, the ones that come with an I phone won't cut it.

11. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I was figuring 300ish for the wireless and 100ish for non-fitted buds. You can probably get to the lower end of that range buying the wireless used.

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, double that for bottom of the barrel used. (and watch out for used because lots of the transmitters are now on illegal frequencies!)

and earbuds that are anything less than dual-driver will be mostly miserable and a waste of money.

thing is, once the OP has all that, what will he do with it? you need a complete PA with a monitor mix just for him at all times, and if that monitor mix is off it'll still be miserable, so it means real soundcheck time spent.

(one way around that is with a little personal IEM mixer like the rolls PM351 or the shureP4M. you can rig up your own guitar, your own vocals, and maybe get a feed from the PA or even an ambient mic on stage.)

13. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

I wonder why they stopped making the P4M? You'd think there would be a ready market.

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

oh man, i didn't realize they had!

that's OK though, 'cause look what i found:

[​IMG]

cheap too at like $220.

tonyhay likes this.
  15. jaf0206

jaf0206 Member

This is exactly what I do. I found a Shure PSM600 (with legal frequency) used, a P4M that I run my vocals and guitar through to the board, and get a monitor feed from the mixer into channel 3 and a ambient mic into channel 4. I can control the levels on all 4, and I can pan the mix from the board and my guitar to give the mix some "space" in my head. It works very well and sets up in minutes.

And I will second the notion that you need at least a 2-driver ear bud setup.

Going to this system has really tightened up my vocals and guitar playing. Much better than wedges.

16. makefast

makefast Member

I'll add Alclair as decent price/quality balance on the molded earbud companies.

17. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

1964ears are awesome. I have a set of V6-Stage's. My receiver is a Shure PSM700 that handles everything extremely well.

Before this setup I was running a set of Shure SE102's out of a simple Rolls headphone amp (without a limiter). It was wired and it sucked. But it was cheap.

18. griggsterr

Just a funny observation, I'm pretty certain most of these earbuds must be made in China by a few of the same, if not the same company and just built to whatever spec they can and will build them to. Every time I talk about Earbuds someone mentions a different company name that they think is the greatest thing.
    The market for these things while decent, isn't huge Certainly not worth dropping a few million on tooling etc, so that you can build your own from the ground up.
    somewhat similar to the boutique guitar pedal market.

19. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

^not sure what company(ies) you are referring to but 1964Ears are all custom-built to order in Portland, OR.

20. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I went to Musicians Hearing Solutions in NY yesterday and directly compared 3 & 6 driver models from 1964 Ears and JH Audio.
    The demo units are universal fit.
    From JH Audio I listened too
    • JH13-6 driver
    • JH7-3driver
    From 1964 Ears I listened too
    • V6-Stage-6 driver
    • V3-3 driver
    If you compare theses ears based on cost alone 1964 wins hands down. If you go by sound quality things become very even.

The 6 driver models sounded pretty much identical. My opinion is they have a very rich 3D wide soundstage and the detail is unbelievable. I couldn't tell a difference between the JH13's or the V6-Stage.

The 3 driver models couldn't have been more different. The JH7's have two low frequency drivers and one high frequency driver. They are clearly colored toward the low end. A good option for Bassists and Drummers. Not for guitarists or vocalists. The V3's have one low, mid, and high frequency driver, were more even but definitely on the thin side. They lacked low end when compared to the 6 driver models.

The Audiologist did say she thinks all the drivers in these ears all come from the same place but each company assembles and tunes their ears in house.

In the end I ordered the 1964 V6-Stage. At $699 it's just no contest.
    And the wait begins!!!