In Ear Monitors for Guitarist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TRUEMAN, Oct 9, 2006.

1. TRUEMAN

TRUEMAN Member

Hi guys I'm looking into buying a set of in-ear monitors. I'm a guitar player and play in a 5-10 piece band. I've been looking at the Ultimate Ears UE-7....

Any thoughts?

2. mild

mild Member

I would be keen to hear what others are using too... (good topic John ;))

3. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

trueman,

I've been using the shure E3 ear buds for a number of years now, and they work pretty well. I could not see springing big bucks for the E5s. The E3s have better low en response than the first issue E1s. I would recommend getting a triple flange type earpiece as with using in-ears, isolation is key.

If there happens to be a house PA system when we gig, then I usually just use what ever wedge moniotrs they have and go with it. The debate of whether to use in-ears or wedges is a whole other issue. Personally, I like the in-ears as I can control my own volume and protect my ears as I see fit.

Let us know what you decide.

4. Lefty

Lefty Member

http://www.westone.com/music

I highly recommend the UM-1's (around $100.00), and splurge to get the custom ear molds made they work/sound GREAT! When I'm not using them as monitors they double for ear buds for my iPod.

FYI up unitl recently Westone made the Shure IEMs.

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

Whatever you choose search around for price. Most of the High end stuff can be had for half of what the going rate is. I recently picked up some Shure E4's for $155, they are $299 at Best Buy and many other stores.

Check out these links for more info:

http://www.earphonesolutions.com

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/isea.html

http://earplugstore.com/inearapps.htm

I also recommend the Comply Tips http://www.complyintheear.com/ unless you go with custom molds. I tried all of the other tips and these were the only thing that worked for me.

6. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

they all break and develop shorts very easily, its a real pain and they are stupid expensive. i like having my own mix, but its just another thing to worry about when onstage, these days i'd rather just use wedges and have someone else do the mixing.

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have Westone UM2's. They sound great and I've had no problems with them, have been using them for about a year now. I had whatever the standard Sure E2's I think, the Westone's sound considerably better.

No matter how good you're in-ears are, they (of course) can't sound as good as your amp. The most ideal would be to have your amp at a moderate volume next to you so you can somewhat feel the amp. You still keep the stage volume in check, but can hear and feel your amp.

My amp is usually under the stage, so I only hear my in-ears. But I'm able to keep my hearing...:p

8. TRUEMAN

TRUEMAN Member

Cool thanks for the feedback so far guys I'll check out some of the sites you guys have mentioned.

I play at a church with a stage that has alot of 'spill' off stage into the audience. So far we've removed the guitar amps off stage AC30 and DC30 and into a amp room. They are running nice and hot in there! Sound great! This has made a huge improvement. Next step is to get our whole band on in ears. The drummer has made the move already. Has improved his timing dramatically.

I'll keep you guys posted what I decided. I've already had a offer for a9 Nady PEM-500 in-ear system for $100 usd + shipping. Any good?

9. TRUEMAN

TRUEMAN Member

These UM2's look good. Where did you buy yours from? I'm in New Zealand bearing in mind :) Thanks.

10. Thepilot

Thepilot Member

i've got a pair of um2s as well- phenomenal sound quality. plug them into a portable cd player and you'll hear things on recordings you had no idea were there. i agree with the fact that it sucks not being able to feel your guitar amp, but it sure can make for a good sounding, even mix.

i got mine off of ebay from a guy who had a bunch of open-boxed ones he was blowing out. the first case was empty, the second case had a dead driver in one ear, but the third case was/is awesome- recommended.

11. Chadley

Chadley Member

I play at a church mostly and we put our amps under the stage and us IEM for everything.

It takes a while to get accustomed to them, but once you do, they are amazing. Mic placement becomes a lot more important than before. It is also a good way to make sure that the house is getting a signal from you that is consistent to the tone you hear in your head, and not just the tone that you feel coming from your amp.

One thing that will make or break IEM for a player is whether or not they are able to get a good consitent mix. We use an Aviom system for this along with a digital console to get very consistent results from week to week.

As far as brands go, Ultimate Ears are incredible but pricey. We are currently using Shure E2's (which I have been somewhat happy with for the last several years) but we just recently began looking into custom molds with at least dual drivers. We are looking into Westone as well.

12. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

I've been using the Sensaphonics custom molds for about 4 years now and they sound really good. The key for us is to get all the instruments on stage at an even volume with the drums. This means I use a 50 watt amp on about 6 with the tubes pushed perfectly. I put that on a stand at my back so I'm enveloped with my tone and then use the IEMs to mix in the other instuments, vocals, and my miked signal.

Whoever said that Mic placement is important is right on the money. For me, I find a good miked sound mixed in with my amp sound really helps me articulate the notes accurately. Sometimes I'll pop one ear out and leave the one next to the drummer in if I want to get a feel for the room sound and make sure my levels are good relative to the rest oif the band.

IEM's are invaluable if you sing, they really help you hear yourself and simng more on pitch. Also the sound onstage is very pure with no wedges, just amps and drums and maybe a little vocals in a wedge or two...

The big difference for me in the custom molds versus the Shure's is the bass and mid response. I haven't tried the E5's but I've tried the E3's and they are pretty sweet, just a little less definition in the mids and low mids when compared to Sensaphonics. Some of this is due to the drivers in the Sensaphonics and some of it is die to the way the molds fit in your ear such that the bass is transferred efficiently to you ear canal (if that makes sense :) )

I think Westone makes an IEM that has an adjustable filter that lets in some of the room sound. This is a pretty interesting idea that I'd like to check out sometime but I think they are only available in Custom molds...

Hope this helps...

13. TomK

TomK Member

I bounce back and forth between the UM-2 and E5..either way I use them with custom U56 molds from Westone. The E5 have a pretty stiff wire over the ear so i find them a little less comfortable. I also recently tried the new Futuresonics and have to admit they sounded great for 1/2 the price of E5s!

14. TomK

TomK Member

Chadley - what church do you play at? I'm in the DFW area but I am also the sales manager for Aviom.

Thanks for using our stuff and Im glad you dig it!

15. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Aviom :AOK. We have a Shure wireless setup and a few Sennhiesers and they are both good but the Aviom is where it's at if you want top of the line, night after night performance. We are currenty in the process of setting up a portable Aviom rig for our 9-piece P&W band.

16. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

A large church I play at is trying the Aviom system. I thought it worked great although those who don't do music for a living had a learning curve. I hope they keep using the system!

Buddy

17. TRUEMAN

TRUEMAN Member

Our church is based in Auckland, New Zealand. Chrisitan Life Centre Auckland is the name. We've been using the AVIOM system for 4 or so years now. We want to take it one step further with IEM. For me I'd rather have a killer sound out front than on stage hence looking at IEM.

18. Chadley

Chadley Member

I am a pastor at Big Valley Grace Community Church in Modesto, CA. We have a pretty sweet Aviom rig.

We have the Aviom card in our digital console which goes to two distribution racks which power up to 16 aviom boxes on stage.

We also have four rack mounted controllers which send their signals to Sennheiser wireless transimitters. They rack mounted units are remote controlled from stage. The cool part about these units is the stereo aux in. Each worship leader has his own rack unit and the aux in is used to feed his vocal mix. They are then able to use the remote controller to build his mix around his vocal. Works really well for us.

19. TRUEMAN

TRUEMAN Member

Were you using the UM56 moulded ear piece with them?