In ear monitors --- point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Eskimo_Joe, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller

I want to scope out in-ear monitors for my band to use at gigs. Can you help me with the following:

1) What price range do these types of things go for?

2) Even if my bandmates did not want to invest, can I get a set just for myself?

3) What brands are the good ones?

4) Where's the best place to purchase them (quality product, service, price, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

2. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

ENTRY LEVEL SYSTEM (SHURE):

SHURE PSM®200 Wireless Personal Monitoring System Includes:
    (1) P2T TransMixer (1) SCL2 Sound Isolating™ Earphones
    (1) P2R Hybrid Bodypack Receiver (1) 9V Premium Alkaline Battery
    (1) 20' ¼" to ¼" Cable (1) Single and Dual Rack Mounting Kits
    P2TR115LCL- PSM®200 Wireless Personal Monitoring System with SE115-CL Earphones
    $599 http://www.shure.com/americas/products/personal-monitor-systems/psm200/index.htm

PROFESSIONAL SYSTEM (SHURE):

SHURE PSM®900 Wireless Personal Monitor System Includes:
    (1) P9T Rack Unit Transmitter (1) Bulk-Head Adapter for Front Mounting Antenna
    (1) P9R Bodypack Receiver (1) Receiver Carrying Zippered Bag
    (1) 1/2 Wave Antenna
    (4) Protective bumpers for Transmitter
    (1) Receiver Antenna
    (1) PS41US Power supply
    (1)Single and Dual Rack Mounting Kits
    (2) AA Premium Alkaline Batteries
    (1) 2' Back to Front Antenna Cable
    P9TR425CL- PSM®900 System with SE425CL Sound Isolating™ Earphones
    $1330 http://www.shure.com/americas/products/personal-monitor-systems/psm900/index.htm

Shure also makes some wired systems that fall, price wise, right in between these two systems. If you want a system, I can work you up a better price than I listed here. The prices here are MAP (minimum advertised price). I am a legit Shure dealer, and recommend Shure over most other brands, but in all fairness, Telex, Audio Technica, and Sennheiser all make systems as well.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Member

MiPro 808 t/r is a really nice set between the two that rockPunk suggested. High build quality, and sounds absolutley fantastic. Outperforms the recently discontinued (700mhz ban) PSM400 for sure and Ear Buds are probably the only thing that would keep it from hanging well with the PSM900 as the Mipro is a single driver bud (Bud Perform very well for a single driver).

http://www.ineargear.com/wireless/mipro808tr.html

4. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I like the Shure PSM 900 and Sennheiser G3, both around the 1K mark, both pro quality. It's also worth getting so custom ear buds, dual for triple driver.

My IEM setup cost me about $800 - $400 for a second hand Sennheiser G2 system, and $400 for a pair of custom 1964-T in ear monitors.

5. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Here's another vote on custom molds from 1964Ears.com
    My Mipro 808 t/r + 1964 ears Duals... got me in right at $900 (new)

6. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

+ three on the 1964 custom ears. I have a set of dual drivers that are absolutely killer. Awesome people to work with as well.

7. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Member

I bought a used Shure PSM400 that included 2 bodypacks (great for attaching to different straps to facilitate quick guitar changes). I needed to buy some new in ear buds (bought Shure E3's), and I'm looking into getting custom molds done.

All told, I'm in about $500 for a mid-level system. I'm happy.

8. 3dognate

3dognate Member

PSM400s operate in the 700mhz band that just got restricted... people are dumping these like hot rocks... you can get them cheap right now and are generally a good unit, but don't bitch when they get interference or you get asked to power them off. I'd not expect to get more than a year or so before recieveing or creating interference. Caveat Emptor...

9. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

i don't mean to knock the mipro systems, but i'd really stick with a more "professional" brand system. just my .02.

10. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

stay away from the 700mHz range. not only are they technically illegal to use, but the fcc is actively scrambling this range to keep people off of it. not worth the headache just to save a few bucks.

11. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Do you feel these systems allow to hear things well without issues? In particular I'm interested because i'm hoping they could protect my hearing from loud band practices.

12. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

WHAT? can you speak up please?

13. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

well, that's a loaded question. if you have them cranked to 11, with one ear in, and the other ear out, you are going to destroy your hearing, quickly, but if you keep the level to a modest amount, and keep your stage volume down, yes, they can help protect your hearing. only put in your monitor mix what you NEED. putting "everything" in your mix will get very frustrating to listen to, both with wedges and with in ears. start with vocals only (ok, and keys/acu guitars) in your monitors. much better to start out with not enough than with too much in your mix. at least, that's my suggestion.

14. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

NOT ENTIRELY TRUE.

After the FCC changes, Shure released a new line of PSM400's that operate in the 500/900mhz band. I own 4 of them. They operate just fine.

Although I do believe Shure has discontinued the wireless PSM400's, but still offer the wired PSM400. You can still get PSM400's on ebay. Just be VERY careful not to get the 700mhz band units. The newer ones have an "X" in their model numbers.

15. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller

Guys, when you're quoting prices, is that a per person price?

Looking for a system that would support 6 musicians total.

16. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Yep... Per person. A system. Would consist of multiple individual systems.

Individual mixes is the only way to go...

17. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

Your going to need a desk with enough prefade aux sends on it to run those different mixes unless some of the band are happy to share mixes. for example drums and bass, who are likely to want to hear the same thing.

18. 3dognate

3dognate Member

Nobody said that proper monitoring was cheap... But once you experience it, it's tough to go back.

19. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

the allen & heath mixwizard monitor board will give you 6 stereo or 12 mono mixes. that's generally enough for most rock bands. if you are going to spend the money to do this, do it correctly with each band member on their own mix...no sharing. you could set up a nice little rack that you roll into every venue with the board and all your in ear systems rack mounted, with a built in splitter to send to front of house. once it's all set up and everyone is happy with their mix, it shouldn't take much more than a little tweak here and there at each new venue.

20. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I love my triple drivers from 1964ears!