In ear monitors --- point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Eskimo_Joe, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller

Can I buy my own without depending on the rest of the band to do the same?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yes, but only if you have your very own aux out on the mixer to create your monitor mix. (remember, sharing is right out with IEMs, i'd rather have no monitor at all.)

3. GTechNick

GTechNick Member

You can also look into getting "ambient ports" in your IEMs. They don't completely block out sound like most IEMs and some companies make them adjustable so you can change the outside "noise" to your liking.

4. boltrecords

boltrecords Member

I just switched to a stereo sennheiser system. Ew300iem.
    In my opinion it sounds better than the Shute systems and easier to use. I owned the shure 200 and 600 system

5. boltrecords

boltrecords Member

I had in ears with an ambient port and for a live setting, as a guitar player, it seemed to cut out a lot of the low end which I didn't like.
    Unless you're going to get the adjustable sensaphonics, I'd pass on getting an ambient vent. Unless you're mostly going to be using it for vocals. The the vent may be better suited.

6. Icegator8

Icegator8 Member

Check out the Audio Technica systems. Rock solid, sound great, ability to mix in a lav ambient mic, and reasonably priced on the used market.