In ear Monitors...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dingdongbell070, Oct 7, 2008.

1. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

I need to go to in ears at the church that i play at and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on ear buds that you have used or are using. Im willing to spend the money if its worth it, id like them to be custom molded to my ears

so far all I've heard about are ultimate ears and this website called www.livewiresforyou.com, the livewires seem insanly inexpensive for what their advertising so that makes me kind of worried, on the other hand the ultimate ears seem pretty over priced..anyone have any input?

ps. I figured this could go in this forum because, i want "that tone" in my ears too and good buds are the way to do that.. :)

2. 95strat

95strat Member

Shure SCL5 are a good, but not cheap, dual driver in-ear. Bought my wife some...she's a worship leader and she likes the. I'm going to see if I can borrow them myself.

3. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Westone are the best hard molds, and Sensaphonics are the best soft. It's just preference in what you want.

And yes, molds are worth it.

4. tjmicsak

tjmicsak Member

I have contemplated these for using an MFX into the house system and using the in-ears for monitors but was REAL curious about how well the base response is and how true to overall sound they are. I just think a good stage monitor mix should be giving the performers a good representation of the complete house mains, or are these just to keep everyone on pitch and in time and the performers are expected to hear garage band quality and fly by the seat of thier pants with the faith that the house is getting the studio quality mix????

5. Ringwraith

Ringwraith Member

Is it possible to use custom molded musicians ear plugs with these in ear monitors??
    I'm curious because they have a hole that goes right through them & you cap them off with their db filters.

Sean

6. DavidE

DavidE Member

Etymotic makes some earphones that will work with their ear plug molds (many brands use their filters, so I'll be they'd work too). I tried them but didn't think the earphones sounded very good, so I returned them.

7. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I'm curious, if your church is going to the new systems, why do some of you have to buy the earbuds? Personnel choice?
    Ours did the switch and we had them provided, and assigned.
    When or if they were shared I just had a seperate foam plug on the end.

8. rikvee

rikvee Member

Best generic ones I know are the Shure SE530, on eBay for less than $300.
    Two-way, triple driver (double bass) these are hard to beat, different attachments help them to fit your ear (this type actually feels good, great on planes or for IPod use).
    Being non-moulded you can sell them, and they sound similar to, some say better than the $400 Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro, which arguably ARE the best, but stick out of your ears more and consequently are not quite as comfortable.

9. hbentley

hbentley Member

i have westone molds and have been really happy with them. i had one problem which they fixed promptly for free. a couple of my friends have sensaphonics and love them. i think they're a bit more dough, but i don't remember exactly what the price difference is.

10. tjedmond

tjedmond Member

If I'm not mistaken, the guy that makes and sells Livewires is a friend of a friend of mine. Said friend plays at several very large contemporary churches here in Atlanta, and the Livewires guy came down and did custom molds for a lot of the musicians at those churches. From what I've heard of people using them, they've been good. the guy just had a better design, I think, and wanted to capture market share through lower price and grass roots sales. They have a 30 day money back guarantee, so I wouldn't be too scared to try them.

But then I could be thinking of a different guy.

The guy just had a better speaker design idea, I think, had an audiologist contact to make the molds, and wanted to capture market share through lower price and grass roots sales. They have a 30 day money back guarantee, so I wouldn't be too scared to try them.

11. snacker

snacker Member

do any of you us in ears for gigs where you only have vocals in the pa - i do a ton of gigs that get pretty loud onstage but the venues aren't loud enough to mic up everything - i have molded plugs, but singing with them in is really tough - in ear monitors a good option?

12. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I've had Shure, Ultimate E. Futuresonics are my favorite.

13. marsodude

marsodude Member

I bought Live Wires a year ago. I think they are awesome! I use them to play and with my iPhone. I have had them in on flights from the US to Tokyo for 12+ hours and almost forgot they were in.

Excellent value, especially for the price.

I just ordered another set for a spare.

14. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

I bought UE-10 pros some time ago.
    They are very comfortable and much better then generic In Ears (especially if you have different sized ear canals like me).
    They are not only great as monitor devices but also act as very effective hearing protection.

...and they are very nice with good MP3 players!

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. Go to an audiologist and have custom molds made. Only way to go. Also throw up a few ambient mics to help cure the isolation issue.

Aviom personal mixer solutions are amazing as well if the budget allows.

16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Those Livewires do look quite cool. I'm using some Westone single drivers that are still pretty cool, but I think they're starting to wear. The replaceable cables are a plus on the Livewires.

Anyone else using these?

17. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I only have experience with the shure line. SLC2's will get you by but the SLC5s sound great and let you hear everything. The churches I play all provide inears and put my foam inserts in a baggy for next time I play.

Biggest tips for inears - 1) make sure there's a good ambient mike, 2) get a stereo mix so you can pay things left and right... makes a HUGE difference.

18. topher60

topher60 Member

I did a lot of research, sound tests, noise cancelling tests and long time comfort.
    I decided on Etymotics. er6. Been using them for over 3 years and still love them.

19. Snap

Snap Member

I used the E2's for a couple of years, and then upgraded to the SCL5's and have used those for about a year. For the price, the SCL5's (or E5's) are great. And btw, you can get molds made for any of the shure line.

I play with a guy that uses the Westone ES3's and I've also heard good things about the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi.

20. drod1985

drod1985 Member

I work for my church, and they sprung for some UE-10's for me. I couldn't be happier with them. Before that I used Shure E3's and E5's. These definitely beat them both out, and work great as hearing protection.