In-Ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PLAYLOUD, Dec 29, 2014.

1. treeuh

treeuh Member

I've got UE7s as they are said to be a bit of the "industry standard." That said, I've got friends that have gone with 1964s and JH Audio... The Westones I've seen look a little dodgy, but those were being toured rather heavy...

Depending on which brand you go with, you can get molds for the same price as universals... The trick with any IEM is fit. If it doesn't fit well, you won't be comfortable and they won't sound as good as they could... so you could have quad-drivers or better, but if the fit/seal isn't good, it won't matter than much.

For that reason, I strongly suggest going for molds by the aforementioned brands if you can afford it-- stay away from "affordable" alternatives (i.e. Alien Ears, etc.). You get what you pay for, and when it comes to this sort of thing, you want to be able hear everything as much as possible. Don't skimp.

2. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

What he said ^. My current IEM's are made by a former associate of the AE guy, and they're utter garbage. Plus, the molds weren't made correctly. You're supposed to have a biteguard in (if you do ANY amount of singing, even backups), so that the mold is made without your jaw in a locked position. That movement changes the fit so its important to get the mold right.

Ultimately I wish I had just spent more money up front, but...live and learn.

3. rhythmicist

rhythmicist Member

I have a set of Westone UM-1 from 2008 and just recently, I have to wiggle the cable down near the right angle connection to get a signal. I sent Westone an email to see if that is even repairable.

4. derekstudt

derekstudt Member

My first set of molds are Futuresonics. I've had them for about 8 years now...way too long to keep a good seal.

I'm in the market for some right now and am looking at triple driver 1964s. I've got lots of friends who use these with great results.

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have a pair of E-3's, but don't use them anymore.

I like my $19.99 Sony Ear Buds from Best Buy - they have more low-end, and are smoother in the mid's. They don't stay in as well, but, they sound better.

I've used Westones in the past (that were supplied), and liked them.

6. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

1964Ears V6-Stages. They had a Black Friday sale and I got them for the same price as the Qi's during a non-sale (which is what I planned on getting from the get-go).

These things sound AMAZING. I haven't even used them in a live situation yet (waiting for my PSM700 to arrive) but just on Netflix and music it's night and day. The sound isolation is key, gotta get those custom molds.

[​IMG]

7. Jettrock

Jettrock Silver Supporting Member

JH Audio.... The best

8. Blakemore

Blakemore Supporting Member

I use ClearTune Monitors (CTM) Same monitors that Pearl Jam and countless other artist uses. Ive got the quad driver. Just an incredible sound.

9. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

I know some have already mentioned that you get what you pay for and not to go cheap, but I would like to take that one step further. Make sure that you don't cheap on your ear buds OR your IEM system that you will be plugging them into! I've said it before and I will say it again, "you can plug a $1000 set of ear buds into an AM radio and it will still sound like an AM radio!"

I've seen numerous posts here on TGP where someone will talk about how they spent a lot of money on ear buds and they don't sound any better than the ear buds that came with their iPhone. Well, if they are plugging into a cheap IEM system or didn't get custom molds (or both), the results will me be marginal at best.

I've been using IEMs for about 12 years now and cannot imagine EVER using a wedge monitor, no matter what the gig is! I sub with various bands and even when they are using wedge monitors, I still use IEMs.

Good luck and ROCK ON!

Steph

10. tuckman-lp100

tuckman-lp100 Member

I'm thinking if getting some westone um pro 10s for practice and sometimes for daily uses e.g. listening to music and when quite is need. Would these benefit me for that and what about a wireless unit, what to look for?

11. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

These. They sound fantastic. Instantly cured my lust for 1964's too.

12. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

I'm sure those Westones will be fine. You might want to look into getting custom molds for them. The better seal you get, the better the fidelity of those ear buds will be.

I use an AKG IVM4 IEM system. Used many systems over the years and this one is my favorite. I bought a second one for my backline rig I like it so much!

13. b80

b80 Member

Shure SE215 for two years now. Love them live or in the studio!

14. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

+1 for Sensaphonics 2X-S. Pliable material provides a better fit/easier insertion than the hard custom molded ones I had before.

15. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

Exactly!

16. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

been using UE4s for a while. They're great. Seeing all these other brands is peaking my interest

17. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

I have JH audio dual drives and sound great.
    It all depends on your budget. Dual drive hit the sweet spot price/quality for me.

18. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

1964 Ears Triples V2. Love them!

Eventually will get the V8 from them. Highly recommend.

19. joshuanick

joshuanick Member

Used a Westone UM3x before, IMO although it was a really good pair of in ears, it can't beat the seal you get from a pair of customs in ears!

So here's my 1964 v6s!

[​IMG]

20. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Just got a set of these too and really like them. I was using a set of Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s before but they started having some issues and needed repair.

The Shure SE215s are really great little earphones for the money.