In-Ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sanders4617, Feb 24, 2009.

1. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Ok. I am trying to collect some thoughts about in-ear monitors. I don't have money to invest in aviom. So I will say that first off.

I have heard decent things about Shure's system.

How much would I be looking at paying for an in-ear monitor system that we (band) could take wherever we went. We play at different churches, and would like to be able to take this whereever we could.

We would probably need 4 mixes... How do they work when dealing with different mixes?

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

I'm looking into these as well and as far as I know, you just need to make sure the frequencies are different and of course you need a mixer that can handle 4 different mixes but other than that...

I might call someone at sweetwater, they tend to be pretty good with info.

Chris

3. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

My first-hand experience: Unless you have a good, dedicated-to-the-monitor-mix-only soundman, don't go down this path.

Nothing is worse than an uncontrolled speaker inside your ear.

These devices are wonderful.....if properly controlled.

4. jrm

jrm Member

The band I was in did just this. We created an indpendent in-ear system that we coudl take with us wherever we went.

It consisted of an Allen & Heath Mix Wizard 16dx, a split snake, and two Sennheiser IEM transmitters with 4 receivers. The AH board has 4 auxilary mixes, so everyone can have their own mix if they want too. However, we really only needed two mixes most of the time as our guys weren't too picky. However, the Sennheiser units can be rigged to each send two different wireless signals on the smae frequency by using the different "stero/mix" mix modes, setting it up for dual mono, and then using the "pan" mode on the bodypacks to select the signal you want (still heard in both ears).

So basically we would just roll our rack into the church, hook up the splitter snake, and be good to go. Really simple, and if you buy used, it can be pretty affordable. This might not have made any sense, so let me know if I can provide any clarification.

5. Thepilot

Thepilot Member

i have a setup like you're talking about. I'm running a yamaha 01v96vcm, patch the 8 auxes out into a behringer ADA8000, and then out to a behringer 8 channel headphone amp.

It is awesome! we all have compression on our mixes, which helps out a ton- especially if no one is going to sit there and babysit the mixer. it's totally digital, but it is also totally mono.

You could be into a setup like ours for just over $2k if you got everything used.

Aviom sucks, btw- i have never once had a mix i was happy with, and i've been at this in-ear thing a while. They sound very sterile to me.

The new system that roland has just come out with to interface with thier m400 mixer will be the king of the in-ear hill, unfortunately it will not be cheap- as you'll need the m400.

6. gep

gep Silver Supporting Member

I had the original O1V, I would send out of one of the 4 aux's into a Shure psm 600. Once I got it tweaked, I would very seldom have to touch it, 7-nites a week, any size room. I would play with the mix on my body controller, but would very seldom touch the mix on the board.

gep

7. jrm

jrm Member

Get something that has a limiter... generally, those little headphone amps don't. I've used thme before while we were saving up to get a proper system. Yikes. Save up, do it right, and protect your hearing!

8. Figher53

Figher53 Member

+1. Unless you have a soundman you trust 100% running your in-ears, forget about it. Trying to rip out your in-ear monitors in the middle of a song while the audience is watching because the feedback coming them through is louder than Cream-era Clapton is not fun.

9. Libes

Libes Member

The key to running a good in ear mix is as variable as our own guitar rigs. Everyone wants something different. Here are some things I have learned touring with a separate in-ear system day in and day out.

1. Buy the dual driver plugs. Example: Shure E5. Yes, they cost more. The difference is similar to AM vs. Hi-Def. Well worth the money.

2. Think of in-ears like a floor monitor. You do NOT need every instrument in the mix. You need what is essential and then raise the levels only slightly above the overall volume of your surrounding musicians. You'll be amazed at how much of the rest of the band is picked up with just the vocal mics. Example-- my mix is usually my vocal, my guitar, a touch of every one else's vocal, and that's about it. Depending on the overall volume of the band vs. the room, I may add or take away instruments.

3. The purpose of in-ears is to protect your ears. Don't crank the volume.

4. If you use the same mics, you don't need to adjust the in-ear mix as much. Different mics WILL make drastic differences in your mix.

5. We spend thousands and thousands of dollars on our gear but we're afraid to try in-ears. Why? Are not our ears how we listen to great tone? PROTECT THEM.

My 2 cents.

10. telefuzzfreak

telefuzzfreak Member

I use Shure SCL5's. They're the consumer version of the E5's. I scored them used on Ebay for $279 then I spent $110 to get custom sleeves done so they fit my ear better. Normally, I believe the IEMs cost about $500. If you're going to go with the Shure's, then get custom molds...I'd look at Sensaphonics 2XS, or another entry level custom IEM. They'll run about $750.....but when you break it down, it's just a bit more after getting the custom molds for the E5's.

At church, we use a HearBack system. It gives each band member control over their own mix

http://www.heartechnologies.com/hb/hearbacksystem.htm

Whatever you do....get dual driver IEMs.

11. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

We started using the Carvin IEMs recently with good results.

We are a three piece and have three different mixes. The signal is also split so I can hear only myself or the rest of the band. If I'm not singing, I often turn the volume all the way down and use them as ear plugs.

My ears are less fatigued now as well. Tinnitus is bad enough already.