In-Ears - what do I need?

stevel

I've been thinking I need to buy the "buds" - that is, the two buds with a 3.5 mm stereo mini-plug on one end, as well as a transmitter and receiver.

But I've run across a couple situations lately where the PA is provided and they have everything you need - just use your own "buds" so you don't Cornona virus theirs.

Is this common (or getting more common) because if all I need are a decent set of what equates to nicer "ear buds", that's way more cost effective than a whole transmitter/receiver unit.

If they don't have the units themselves I can still use a traditional wedge, but like I say, I've encountered this a couple more times recently than in the past so it appears to me that more people are providing the wireless units and all I need are the wires.

Is my perception accurate?

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
I use earbuds or IEM's all the time.
You don't need the wireless / transmitter set-up.
I've played through:
Aviom
Behinger
Allen and Heath
and Yamaha ( where you use your phone to "mix" )
I play pedal steel, keys and acoustic / electric guitars.
I use Westone triple driver / universal fit.
The cost of IEM buds are dropping.
Look at Sweetwater and Amazon.
And you could drop a lot of money of 64 audio, etc.
Those are 6 to ?? drivers.
It can get crazy.
Have fun!!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
But I've run across a couple situations lately where the PA is provided and they have everything you need - just use your own "buds" so you don't Cornona virus theirs.

Is this common (or getting more common) because if all I need are a decent set of what equates to nicer "ear buds", that's way more cost effective than a whole transmitter/receiver unit.
if more providers are bringing IEM systems that's a good thing, especially with digital boards where the player can adjust their own monitors with their phone and leave the soundguy out of it; no heavy wedges to lug out of the truck, no blasting wedges to throw off the stage sound, and no having to fuss with a player's monitor while he's busy trying to get it right out front.

so yeah, a decent set of earbuds is a good idea, at the very least a dual-driver something from the likes of shure or westone.

if you're depending on the luck of the draw for soundguys and you don't want to drop the coin for a setup like your own shure PSM300, you can use wired solutions like the rolls PM59 or PM351. you'd need a long headphone cable, or even one of those cables with guitar and headphones bundled together.

this guy lets you patch your own vocal and your own mic'ed guitar amp through to the PA unaffected while also sending them straight to your earbuds, along with getting a feed of whatever type from the PA, even if it's just a copy of the main mix.

if there's a digital board and you have your very own mix then great, send it to this box, pipe it to your ears and adjust with your phone. if you don't have your own mix and need to "rig up" something, then you pass through your own voice and your own guitar and balance them with whatever mix you can get. if you can get a mix of the band in general and then have "more me" guitar and vocals on top then you can get through the night.

if you're rocking a direct modeler of some sort (or playing bass) the PM351 is the same idea except the instrument part is 1/4" in and has its own built-in direct box out instead of a pass-through.

i long ago put together a little wireless in-ear rack bag so i can use my IEMs no matter what, monitor wedges are dinosaurs!

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on how much you want to spend? Cheaper universals? Mee M6. Custom? 64Audio, Alclair, Alien Ears, Empire Ears...lots of options.

As far as a wireless rig I’m using the MI-Pro MI-909 system. I have psm600 in my rack with it and have used quite a few sennheiser systems. I like the MI-Pro system.

HellsKitchenGtr

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on how much you want to spend? Cheaper universals? Mee M6. Custom? 64Audio, Alclair, Alien Ears, Empire Ears...lots of options.

As far as a wireless rig I’m using the MI-Pro MI-909 system. I have psm600 in my rack with it and have used quite a few sennheiser systems. I like the MI-Pro system.
I'm also looking at this, as I suspect more and more people are. What's the difference with the MI-PRO? I see the professional hype/ad copy - 'only true digital' etc. What do you like about it vs the Sennheiser? :)

Stokely

If you are ok being wired, I love my little behringer p2...two AAA batteries that last forever and it just hangs on my belt. I also have the p1, which is bigger and has a power adapter or 9v option. I'm keys so being wired is fine for me.

As far as buds...I was just fine with my Shure 215s, which are 90-100 bucks. Single driver, but they sounded fine to me. I now have custom triple drivers (from in-earz locally in central fl) and I have to say in some ways I miss the Shures.

I haven't used my in-ears much when we don't run our own sound. Not sure I really trust sound guys to give me the mix I need with in-ears. They are usually rushing around trying to get things working. To be fair, my band is a "low level" band so we aren't talking super-pro expensive sound companies here LOL! I generally just go with their wedges for those gigs, which are thankfully kind of rare. I really like being able to control the band's touchmix and I have a stereo monitor feed ;)

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
I'm also looking at this, as I suspect more and more people are. What's the difference with the MI-PRO? I see the professional hype/ad copy - 'only true digital' etc. What do you like about it vs the Sennheiser? :)
Yeah, you know there’s definitely market buzzwords. For me it’s the combination of quality and price point. I think it’s comparable to the G3 and PSM3/600 stuff but also cheaper.

bigtone23

That's pretty cool that some venues are providing the IEM system, sans earbuds. At least grab a set of earbuds at this point, the Shure 215 are great, I prefer them to many other Shure offerings, to be honest.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I get a lot of sub gigs that asked me to bring ear buds and I settled on KZ AS10's... 5 drivers, sound great and are cheap. That's for when the band I'm supplementing has IEM, transmitters and receivers, but around me venues aren't providing them (yet). If you're buying those as well, the only advice I have is to not try to go too cheap (like I did). I found a cheap set that looked good on paper, but needed to be sent back because it was so out of balance. At its best I get dropouts and a lot of noise.

Trending Topics