In honor of Herbie Hancocks Headhunters '05

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Normster, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Normster

Normster Member

Been playing with Reason all night to try to get a Toto feel into Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage." It didn't come out quite like I'd hoped, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Maiden Voyage backing

I layed down a quick melody, but the solo part is just scrap. I'll probably try again tomorrow when I'm not so exhausted. ;)

Maiden Wreckage

If anyone could throw a decent solo over this it would be much appreciated. :D

Edit: Just uploaded a new version of the backing. I threw a rock beat over the solo section to get it a little closer to the Toto version I'm shooting for.

BTW, here's a remix of Toto's take that I've been playing with:
    Remix of Toto's "Maiden Voyage" - NOT Norm playing!!!

As you can see, I've got my work cut out for me. ;)

2. Normster

Normster Member

I'm done beating myself up over this one.

Lessons learned:
    1. I don't have the skills to produce a backing in Reason that sounds as good as whoever produces Toto. ;)
    2. Steve Lukather makes it sound easy to play slow. It's not! He embellishes every note.
    3. I suck at covers! (I'm not even gonna mention my improv limitations) :(

Maiden Voyage, final take...for now

BTW, I just uploaded the final version of the backing also. Same link as before.

3. allthumbs

allthumbs Member

don't beat up on yourself Norm. Yah done good and thats a tough one. Even knowing the chords, I can't get anywhere with it at all.