In-Law stories

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Moxsam, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

I thought this might make a good Pub topic and bring out some interesting stories.

I'll go first, I have a few.

I'll start out by saying that I'm very lucky to have the in-laws I do. They are both great and I get along well with both of them. However they are completely different from my own parents and some of the stuff they do just baffles me.

The New Car
    My wife and I have a young family. Two daughters, ages 4 and 1. We are in desperate need of a new auto. I drive a small pick up and my wife drives a 2 door hatchback econo-car. Getting the kids in and out of the hatchback is a back breaking experience and we are packed like sardines in there. As they grow it's getting worse. We aren't totally struggling financially but we definitely can't afford a new or even newer car right now. What we have is very reliable so it's a tough situation to give that up for an unknown. Anyhow we are on the hunt for a different car and both our families know it.

The in-laws are doing very well financially. They are actually loaded. They buy fancy cars brand new and drive them for 5-10 years and trade them in for something new. They maintain their cars at the dealership and regardless of the age they seem like new cars. If there is the slightest problem it gets fixed no matter the cost. They also barely drive anywhere so the mileage on their cars are always very low for the year.

Anyhow out of the blue they show up at our house in a new car that they are test driving. They wanted to come by and see what we thought of it. (Not sure I believe that) Anyhow it's an over $50K car and it's beautiful. I asked what they are doing with their old car. It's a 4 door luxury sedan about 8 years old and is in absolutely perfect condition. They tell me they are going to trade it in. I tell my father in-law that whatever the dealership offers them on a trade-in we will match it. He agrees.

So they leave and we get a call about an hour later with the number the dealership has offered them. It's quite a bit lower than what that model car sells for on Craigslist so I say great we'll take it. Hang up and tell the wife we are buying their car. A few minutes later another call. Father in-law says Mother in-law doesn't want to sell the car to us because it will be "awkward". I say to him "Are you nuts? We are family! We want that car." I can hear him in the background talking to Mom in-law and she is standing strong. I tell him we will pay $1000 more than what the dealership offered. He says OK and hangs up.

An hour later they show up in a different, even more expensive car! "What do you think of our new car?" they ask. I tell them it's great and ask what happened to their old car. They traded it in to the dealership! Mom in-law says to me "You guys didn't want that OLD crappy car anyway. It was 8 years old and on it's LAST legs." It only had 60,000 miles on it!

The next day I looked on the dealership's website and their old car was listed for $4000 more than they got for it on trade. It sold the following day.

This story happened over a year ago. We are still looking for a family car. :jo

Scrapperz likes this.
  2. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Not defending her but the MIL has a point (to some degree). Let's say you get the car but a month later, the transmission blows, some people might flip out and go as far as saying stuff like "you knew about this!" or "you sold me a crappie car!"

Only playing devil's advocate. Nevertheless, some people are so locked into their world that they can't see the reality, which is that you could've made much better use of it rather than enriching some dealership.

3. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I'm not a grudge-holding type, but that would have taken me a while to forgive and never forget.

mango and Lt Dak like this.
  4. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

That reads like petty power trip nonsense to me.

The mother in law doesn't have a point. You're not asking for a hand out, just a square deal that would afford her daughter, the man she's chosen, and her grandbabies a bit more leg room.

I grew up poor, but I've got wealthy family. Could have used their help at various points in my younger years. Everybody kisses their butts but me, the "black sheep." I don't look good in brown lipstick. Took the wife a few years, but she gets it now. It hasn't been easy, but I respect what I see in the mirror.

Out of curiousity, what does your wife think?

rhp52 likes this.
  5. 335guy

335guy Member

They should have sold you their old car. Sounds like you needed it. Poo Poo on the in laws.

6. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

My inlaws are the normal ones... my actual mom is the problem in our family:messedup

Like the time my wife and I got back form the honeymoon and my mom, who we hadn't seen since she decided to leave the wedding early, showed up with my ex girlfriend from college???:facepalm

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Washburnmemphis and Blues Power like this.
  7. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

my inlaws got blown out of the mountains of Greece during the WW-II invasion. somehow they landed here, I wish they blew 50 miles in another direction. it would have saved me 30 years of grief. as the old man puts it one mountain or another, it don't matter to me but yall dooo tawk funny arun hiya.

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Your MIL probably thought she was doing you a big favor. It was the way she was raised. Used is junk. Lots of people feel that way. Most people don't even like used homes. Used anything. We have been inculcated as a society to short expectations of product longevity. Your MIL probably throws out good stuff all the time. Instead of thinking of its benefit to her or others, she views it a problem for her or anyone else she cares for. SO in the trash or off to Goodwill. Its all in your rearing.

9. mannish

mannish Member

My MIL (deceased) had both her legs amputated at an early age so artificial legs most of her life. After we got a swimming pool we removed her artificial limbs, put her in a float, gave her a cosmopolitan to drink. She was 60+ and that was the first time she had ever been in a swimming pool, she was a like a little kid
    -----------------------

my previous marriage my father in law (deceased) was my best friend - He was an audiophile never forget the first time meeting him when I was dating his daughter - Little Feat Waiting For Columbus was coming out the big magnaplaner (sp) speakers.

He died of cancer (did not smoke) I play a benefit for the American Cancer Society tonight and he will be on my mind. I loved that man one of the finest people I ever met

Washburnmemphis and ripple like this.
  10. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

Your MIL doesn't understand your situation, plain and simple. Many people can only view life in their own terms and have difficulty placing themselves in another's shoes.

Have way too many stories about my whacked out in-laws, all too long. You are not alone.

Washburnmemphis and Stratonator like this.
  11. clarkram

clarkram Member

It seems you missed out on a good deal, but for me I prefer to not do business with family or friends.

Only one story, when I was engaged , circa 1970, my father in law to be sold me a 1964 Comet. It lasted one week, engine caught fire on I 285, total loss. My wife to be gave him hell over that and I never got involved buying from family ever again.

12. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I can't get past the fact that that the FIL made a deal and then broke it. I don't care where someone comes from or how they view the world. When you make a deal, you stick to it, and that goes 100x for family.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  13. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I'm in the same situation, unfortunately. My mother has never recovered from my father's death five years ago, and there is always some situation going on with her.

I love my in-laws, they're wonderful. My mother-in-law and stepfather-in-law. We see my father-in-law once a year on Christmas. He divorced my MIL when my wife was 12 and has had next to nothing to do with my wife and BIL since then.

The first time I met my stepFIL, I had been invited to their river cabin by my wife, we had just started seeing each other. I knock on the door, he answers in a tank top, and he had consumed several Miller Lites already. He goes "who are you here to see?", I tell him, and he goes "wrong answer!" and put me in a friendly headlock. We still laugh about that.

14. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Yeah, that's f'ed up. My mom would have given the car to me if we needed it and couldn't afford it. My mil would have sold it to us for a deal. Actually she had a car for us, but I no longer like to drive a stick shift. Sorry man.

15. Campfired

Campfired Member

When discussing family matters, my motto is "Never bring the mother-in-law into the conversation." Both immediate family and I'd be sorry.

16. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

My dad also died a few years back... My mom basically acted like I should cancel the wedding that was a few months off and largely paid for at that point. All no refundable as is usually the case with large events like weddings. I understand she was upset - but she eventually half heartedly apologized for her behavior... But she's always acted strange towards my wifes family for some reason. They're literally the nicest people in the world???

Her new thing is acting oblivious to the fact that my wife is pregnant. She was literally the only person of the hundred we must have told who didn't act excited about it. Like she tried to steal our thunder and was like "I already knew!"

I fact - before that we were trying to do a family vacation to the mountains with my wife's parents and my mom to do the big reveal. Right on schedule my mom flaked out after we booked larger cabin to accommodate, based on her confirmation, and canceled. When I told her my wife and I would be out several hundred dollars for her portion she replied "well if that's the worst thing that happens to you..." And shrugged. She eventually paid us back - but due to timing we had to tell the rest of the family way before her. So it hosed up the whole surprise:facepalm

She recently met some random guy in January and now they've combined finances and he lives with her... They're planning on leaving for California around the time my wife delivers to get a pit bull puppy that she keeps referring to as "her baby"??? I'm pretty sure she's going to announce she's getting married right before my wife delivers. Although I'm sure a big part of it is the guy has cash from just selling his place and my mom has likely blown through all the money she received in insurance after my dad died. Literally $800,000-$900,000 in three to four years...

At first I thought it was my dad who was the nutty one - but after he died it became apparent who had been driving the crazy train all along:messedup

Again - my inlaws are awesome!:love:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Washburnmemphis and mdrake34 like this.
  17. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I guess I'm lucky since my in-laws speak just about no English. So I can't have a phone call with them and Mrs. Lee always has to translate anything beyond the very basics. MIL is a killer cook too. I mean killer. When they stayed with us for a few months two years ago, I cooked maybe two meals in that whole time and I otherwise do all the cooking. Man, that was nice. Since they can't function in the US and Mrs. Lee was always at work, they spent their days cleaning the yard, pool and house. That sure was nice.

18. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

My inlaws are currently squabbling over Uncle Steve's will. My BIL (his cousin) is one of three beneficiaries in the will, as well as the executor. Everyone assumed Steve was a multi-millionaire because he had a nice house, but when the BIL didn't shower everyone with $$$ and prizes, dissension and resentment set it. I told my wife the guy had dementia and a full time keeper his last few years, and that could drain his accounts before you know it. Much ugliness has ensued, and I'm keeping out of it.

Lt Dak likes this.
  19. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

That's a bummer. My mom, to me, is a totally different person in a lot of ways since dad passed. My wife thinks maybe she had some underlying issues but repressed them since dad wouldn't have put up with them, which is probably true. She's let her house fall apart, her health has spiraled downward, and there is constant drama with her mom and two brothers. She thinks I don't want her to date again, but I wish she would, she needs someone to fill that void in her life.

I feel tremendously guilty at times, my brother and I don't do enough to help her, but at the same time we have our own lives and issues to deal with. It's a balancing act, and I constantly feel as if I'm not doing any of it right.

20. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Father in law totaled his beautiful 4x4 Dodge with a .026 blood alcohol level
    He ran off the side of the highway and through the fence and back yards of all the homes that backed up to the freeway. He took out gazebos, above ground swimming pools, kid's swingsets and a bunch of fence. Better that than a head on in traffic I guess. Glad no kids were playing in the yards that evening. And per most drunk drivers, he walked away without a scratch but the truck was a complete total.

The very next day, whilst having a serious family discussion about "Daddy's drinking", my sis in law and my mother in law were actually scanning newspaper ads looking for a replacement vehicle for Daddy. I was like OMG, give him one of those drunkass tricycles with a orange flag on an antenna above it, but no more vehicles. That was about a $30k Dodge Cummins, he had no use at all for that kind of truck, I had been piecing together my old GMC to keep a truck for work. Watching him total that truck drunk was the last straw for me.
    So they went out and bought him another nice new Dodge. But to be safe, they decided to have an alcohol breathalyzer ignition installed.
    Three days later my brother in law gets a call from a bar owner, daddy is in the bar drunk and trying to bribe someone to go breathe sober into the ignition so he can drive it home.

I told my wife, "what are YOU going to do to get this crap to stop, because it is quite apparent, your mom and sister are just enabling him and he is going to end up killing someone"
    She went to him and said, "Daddy, can I borrow your truck to haul some stuff?" To which he handed her the keys. She took the truck to our house, had me remove the fuseable link from the battery to the ignition so it could not be moved. Then when her mom called asking where the truck was, Julie told her, "You don't get it back until you take Daddy to the VA and dry him out and it is NOT open for discussion"
    My brother in law showed up at our house, and jumped her about how wrong she was to do that and was screaming at her in the driveway when I pulled in from work. Needless to say, he and I had an argument he not only did not win, but learned the Japanese word "Kotegashi" in the process of. Then he got an explanation that I had called my dad, (who was on the bench as a District court judge in Oklahoma at the time) and he called the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and "Daddy", got a visit from the OHP drunk driver intervention team who showed up at his house with pictures of drunken carnage and said, "you will not do this any more". Julie shed a bunch of tears over all this crap, but he did not end up killing anyone in a drunken stupor