In love with your new gear!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kludge, Feb 25, 2009.

1. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Don't you love that feeling of falling in love (or at least in lust) with a new piece of gear? Where you're playing the new guitar or amp or pedal and getting great sounds that you weren't able to get before?

I'm in love right now... I recently got a '76 Boogie Mark I, and I think it's the best amp I've ever owned. Took a bit of frustration to get it dialed in, but... WOW. It has this weight and authority and clarity that I just haven't found anywhere else. Playing at band practice last night, it just sounded the way I've dreamed of an amp sounding. I can't wait for its first gig this friday!

Are you in love with new gear right now? What is it?

2. cram

cram Member

I'm still there with my LP and 2204. I just love the sounds. I steal every moment away to play.

3. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

No money, no new gear... but still in love... the closest thing I have to new gear is an old guitar with some fresh pups... I love it and I still love my amp

4. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

It's a thin line between love and the emporium.

5. Joe Gamble

Joe Gamble Member

ha!!!!

6. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

In a perfect world, we could recoup most of the cost of our exes...

7. bynt

bynt Member

Yeah, I was really fortunate to be able to score a new Les Paul. It's totally different from my old one. It's a beast!!! Waiting on a Soultone JTM 45ps and then I may just get rid of everything else (save my Strat and Tele, if you ladies are listening. Don't be jealous).

8. skullfunkerry

skullfunkerry Member

Yeah, I'm still feeling it every time I crank my Rockerverb up :D

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

There's that "honeymoon" phase, (sometimes preceded by that "guilt" phase), and there's that "level of comfort" phase, and then the "I'm sick of this" phase, sometimes the "there's got to be something better" phase...

I've had the same main guitar amp for 16 years, the same main guitar for 8 years, the same main bass amp for 7-8 years and my main all around gigging bass for 11 years.

I'm still happy with all that stuff, and it's become *my* measuring stick of how I view or hear other equipment.

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I used to get that way...I like all of the gear I have right now (that's why I have it) but it's been awhile since I felt that way about any equipment. Similar to Goldilocks above...

11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I just got a Forshage Ergo (1 year wait), and am just digging this amazing instrument. It is everything I had hoped for.

12. torgeot

torgeot Supporting Member

I like it when you haven't played a guitar or amp for a few months because another one has been the fav for a bit, then you re-fall in love with the one that has gotten no attention...

13. somedude

somedude Member

A good amp will treat you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out.

14. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I'm kind of rekindling the fires with some gear I put on the back burner, since I took a break from playing regularly.

pedals: eternity, zendrive
    amps: pro jr, rambler

15. somedude

somedude Member

I'm in a mixture of Golden Boy's honeymoon and level of comfort stage. Nothing I have is really so new that I'm still honeymooning with it, and to tell you the truth, now that I'm more comfortable with what I have I like most of it more now than when I first got it.

16. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I felt that way about my Egnater Mod50 when I got it, but it's kind of old hat now.

HA!!!! What am I saying? I love this amp more every day. Had it for 13 months now, and I still have absolutely ZERO G.A.S. for another amp. :dude

17. orangekick

orangekick Member

I recently splurged and bought 2 new things that are really making me happy. I bought a Bogner Shiva and it is so inspiring to play. I also bought a Budda Super Drive 80 and that amp makes me simply want to play more.

18. Lance

Lance Member

Well, I am still really enjoying my '89 Boogie Mark III blue stripe combo. I was playing a buddy's P-90 equipped Koll Jr. Glide into an Ethos pedal into the Boogie, and it was...a cross between good ole Robben Ford, but had a really accurate copping of Gilmour's Another Brick part II tone! Especially the pick attack!! Unfortunately, I had to give the Koll back. But then I got to play his Koll Tele for a while, and yeah...that was a lot of fun too! After this little jam session, I dl'd most of the backing tracks that are available on Gilmourish.com. Broke out the mixer, and set up a vocal mic, and some effects, and am running the Ethos pedal direct to the mixer. So now I have the ultimate, bedroom volume David Gilmour karaoke station. Loads of fun!

19. somedude

somedude Member

Although I had bought my Mark III (red stripe) because of Metallica I never really liked it with humbuckers. However, it was one of the best amps I've ever used when combined with single coils.

20. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I get cooked for it, but I'm just nuts for the Axe-FX. Thing just gets updated and reinvented and teaching me things and never stops amazing me. The deeper into the rabbit hole I push it, the more happy carrots it gives back.

I've been called a shill, lambasted all over this board and others for it. I don't care. Proof is in the pudding. (FWIW, I am not a shill, nor an employee, nor given favors, discounts or any other anything from Fractal. I've no connection to them other than paying full price for something back in mid-2007)

The other piece of gear that just ruined my GAS-happy merry-go-round is my Melancon Custom Artist. Since mid-2004 this thing just has been my perfect match as a guitarist. I need other tools (acoustic, backup Melancon, parts Strat) but this one guitar just does it all for me personally. In fact, it's been refretted twice now; I just play the snot out of the thing.

It's gear that simply keeps on giving.