In Market For New Guitar, need advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by baklavaa, Dec 6, 2016.

1. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

Hey fellas,

I bought a helix, and it has allowed me to sell all of my other gear, which puts me in position to buy my first truly nice guitar. Up to this point, I have bought a MIM strat and changed the pickups, epiphone les paul, changed the pickups, and a MIJ nash 1995 tele (which I love) and changed the bridge to a lollar. All of these are ~$500 guitars with about 200 dollars of pickups.

I am looking at a 1500 to 2500 dollar type guitar, and I was wondering what the consensus on a good fender style (probably tele style), sweet playing (little vintage, little shred) type guitar is. Maybe dual humbucker? Looking at stuff like the fender elite, suhr teles, maybe fano type stuff? What is good and worth my hard earned teacher dollars?

thanks in advance.

2. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

Used Suhr would be fantastic. If it were my money I'd split the budget and get a used American Special Tele and a used Les Paul (recent Trad or a 90s Standard or Classic).

If you're sold on the idea of one T-type, consider a Nash or K-Line. I know they're relics, but I've never played a bad example of either one.

3. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

baklavaa likes this.
  4. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Just to be honest, what you have is awesome and enough of a selection to cover about everything.
    If you insist or really want a super nice axe, Suhr is an awesome place to start-stop.

David Garner likes this.
  5. stevel

stevel Member

Well, you say you want a Tele style - but are you simply interested in the body shape? IMHO, a dual humbucker tele kind of takes the tele out of it (same for a dual hum strat).

You also say "somewhat shreddy" - does that mean a Floyd Rose Trem? Or with a Tele, "country shred"?

I'd think you want a "modern" neck radius as well.

Do you think you'll stick with the stock pups this time, or are you the type who's more likely to trade them out? If so, I'd factor that cost in (especially if you'd want to do it sooner rather than later) and not worry too much about what brand pups come with it.

That said, I'd go straight for a MIA Fender Tele with the specs you want. The American Elites are $1,800 ish. Then you can compare everything else to that (I understand that if you want the hums, that lets out the Fenders except for the less expensive stuff).

Remember that the Elites are somewhat new, and the American Standards are being replaced by the American Professionals soon if not already, and that means that may drive the price of the older American Deluxe and American Standards down a bit (the new guitars are listing $100.00 more out of the gate I think).

I'd say a "Standard" is absolutely fine - especially if you're going to change pups to suit. No need to go much over $1,500 there.

If I had my druthers, I'd love a Thinline, or a bound Tele, but my feeling there is, the differences are more visible and "feel goodie" than anything else - see through finishes (thus Ash rather than Alder), F-Holes, binding, and so on - if you're not out and out rich and this is going to be "the guitar" - then you will want to pay for what you want, but you also don't need to pay for junk you don't need...

I see on Sweetwater there's a "Friedman" brand and they're just outside of your price range, as is 1 custom shop! Suhr T-styles can also be found within your range:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=Telecaster&sb=low2high&pn=6

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/collections/suhr-alt-t-pro

Tom Anderson Classic T could be in your range if you can stomach a bit more:

http://davesguitar.com/products/tom-anderson/t-classic/

But I think when you get the basic tele with the basic specs - at around $1300, you're starting to pay for things like builder name/reputation, bells and whistles you may not want or need (gold hardware...though of course you may want that), tiger stripe tops (again, you may want that though), etc.

So it all depends on what aspects of the guitar you want to sink the money into.

I would think for your "dream" guitar you'd want to go new, but I don't know, some people are cool with used, and of course that opens up a world of possibilities (and the bother of trying to find that great deal and then buyer's remorse, and so on...)

baklavaa and David Garner like this.
  6. TrevorW

TrevorW Supporting Member

Whatever you do consider buying used! The market is kind of in the toilet right now and there's killer deals to be had if you're patient... Go Pack Go!

7. Bogner

Bogner Member

Suhr is a splendid choice. If I were in your position I would go that route without hesitation. I have several and absolutely thrilled with each one of them. You will not find better value than Suhr in your price range. Good luck!

baklavaa likes this.
  8. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

My favorite guitar is my Melancon Custom Artist T. It would seem to fit your criteria. Spalted top and in-lays are of course optional. There are many, many options here and almost as many great options. I also love Red Rockets (if you prefer distinctive to copy) and Grosh and Suhr (if you prefer more derivative instead).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

theon and baklavaa like this.
  9. Roxy

Roxy Member

baklavaa likes this.
  10. baklavaa

baklavaa Member

thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I shall now buckle down and do research.

11. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Suhr Alt T Pro. You are welcome.

12. mystixboi

mystixboi Supporting Member

Used suhr alt pro!!!

thiscalltoarms likes this.
  13. guitz

guitz Member

Suhr is probably the one , maybe only brand that I've never heard someone say they were disappointed with

thiscalltoarms likes this.
  14. AlanH

AlanH Member

Get an SG. You'll love it.

15. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

17. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

18. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

no problem with the suhr recs, do look at g&l. i think they are under loved. odd, considering the lineage.

19. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Roll your own! Warmoth neck, MJT body, Fralin pickups.

Done!

20. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

You MIGHT be able to find a used Thorn Junior Ninety near the high end of your limits. http://thornguitars.com/jr90htm/home-jr90.htm They are well worth the extra cash & if you're set on buckers, you might be able to find one with them. I have Hot Rod #7(of 10 made). Everything about it is superlative!

Tony
    PS - Sorry, I couldn't resist a chance to show her off!
    [​IMG]

Moby Dick likes this.