In Memory of Elizabeth Reed Live

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Guitar Dave T, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Here's one I posted twice before, and both times TGP crashed within 12 hours. If it happens again, I give up.

http://guitardavetaylor.com/InMemory_LBG_11_2005.mp3
    I do solo number 1 and 2, and play harmony on the head. That's my rhythm work along with Skeeter Harrison's guitar solo in the last part of the song.

Guitar is a bone-stock 2001 Gibson SG 61 Reissue (57 Classic pickups). Strings are DR Blues nickel strings, lite guage, .010 - .046. Strings are fed over the top of the stop tailpiece rather than directly down over the bridge and through - gives the guitar a little less sustain, but a whole lot more wood tone. Action is set high enough to easily use this guitar for slide without bottoming out - this also helps overcome some of the tonal difficiences of using lite strings.

Two amps used in tandem: a '93 Fender Tweed Blues Deluxe 1-12 with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a 2005 Fender NOS Tweed Blues Jr with a Jensen C12N. Effects are an Ibanez TS808 Tubescreamer and a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. The Sparkle Drive pushes the Tubescreamer. Tubescreamer settings are: Drive - 9:00, Tone - 9:00, Volume - 3:00. Sparkle Drive settings: Drive - 12:00, Tone - 9:00, Mix/Clean - 9:00, Volume - 12:00.

Recorded live at the Lakewood Bar and Grill in Dallas in November, 2005. Recorded with two condensor mics thrown in the middle of the room.

Peace,

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

One of my all-time favorite songs... sounds great... there is a snippet from it on my myspace page that I did... I learned how to play the harmony parts together to some degree on one guitar... fun, nonetheless... http://www.myspace.com/stephenpolcz ... the fourth song "a rocky road ahead" is a bunch of short things, I think IMOER is the second to last one, and it's just the break after the initial melody. Seriously, you guys sound great on this clip, great job!

3. lhallam

lhallam Member

Good volume swell work. Very nice tones. Fun stuff, thanks.

Now quit crashing the server. ;)

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Not into myspace.com, Steve. I'll need to become indoctinated before my son reaches 'that age'., but in the meantime, is there a way I can listen without registering?

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Moohahaha.

BTW: Volume swell work is done Dickie Betts old-school, with pinky wrapped around the volume knob on the SG.

6. billdurham

billdurham Member

Dave,

Great tone, very nice playing as well.

BD

7. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

8. kram21

kram21 Member

great playing dave

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

You don't need to register to see the page... that URL is a public one. The songs should come up in a Java player.

10. dpote

dpote Member

That was wicked! Betts is one of my favorite players, and you really captured that feeling he gives.
    I would like to get my band to play Melissa, but they are more interested in Metallica at the moment.

Be safe,
    Dave

11. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Mucho gracias! Favorite Allman Bros. jam played amazingly!

12. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Wonderful! That took me back, and in a very good way. Great version.
    Lush drumming, too. Props to the drummer.

Thanks to you and the band for keeping this classic song alive, by playing it as it should be played!

Kiwi

13. gennation

gennation Member

Great tune! Very good redition. Playing sounds great also. Thank for posting.

14. Cb

Cb Member

You guys have a great sound!

Care to share any details on your recording gear & technique? I'd be pleased as puinch to get that sort of of recording quality of my band's rehearsals using a minimal recording rig.

tia,

Cb :BluesBros

15. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

one of my fav's also, nice job!

16. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Drummer on that cut is local drummer's drummer, Warren Dewey, who was subbing for our regular guy, Paul Miller, who was having his pipes worked over after earning an insurance-paid emergency helicopter ride.

As incredible as Warren is, you should hear Paul, who rehearses with us (check out "Commander Cody...Too Much Fun" elsewhere in member soundclips). Paul has recovered from the bypass surgery, BTW, has lost weight and goes to the gym almost daily now.

To record that night, we tossed two AKG condensor mics up on a stand on the table in front of the sound console and went straight to digital on a Mac laptop. We did not mix in any of the PA. Aside from some very modest eq adjustment and a smidge of compression on the two tracks, what you hear is pretty close to what the audience heard. I'm with you - I think it sounds more organic, more real, less clinical, than many of the nights when we mic'd everything on a 16 track.

17. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Nice work Dave. Your tone was excellent, as was the playing.
    :AOK

18. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Nice piece. one of my favourite ABB tunes.:AOK