1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

In Memory of Freddie King

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Guitar Dave T, May 20, 2011.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    It's been 35 years since his death in '76, and I still miss him:

He was a regular fixture in Dallas, and I was fortunate enough to see him a number of times at Ma' Blues, The Electric Ballroom and free Sunday shows at Lee Park.

The man could take one note and make the most unmusically inclined patron in a club stop whatever he was doing and take notice.

One of the most take-command, awesome talents I've ever seen.

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I didn't know Carlos Santana played organ! :omg

Freddie is the best!

3. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Love Freddie!

I was 7 when he died, so never had the pleasure.

I'm glad (and kind of surprised) there's a good amount of footage of his shows.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Looks like a cranked Twin Reverb! I love that tone, so real and honest and powerful.

5. Balok

Balok Member

He played Fender Quads a lot. It's a twin with 4x12s. Too heavy to get very popular. And you can tell he dimed them. Incoming!

6. Balok

Balok Member

I love his style of waiting for the note to come to him before he plays anything. If it doesn't come you wait... when it comes you play. It goes away for a second you stop. Total dedication to honesty. No filler, no BS, no razzle dazzle, doodling or wanking.

7. jzilla

jzilla Supporting Member

nicely put balok.

8. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Bill Marshall who played drums with Hank Williams Jr. for over 25 years tells a funny story. Back in the 70's Bill toured America with lots of bands from Memphis Tn and this one guitar player/ singer he was touring with, his amp always sounded like crap. Freddie King sat in with them out of the road and just plugged in and played through the guy's amp and never touched anything. After Freddie was done, He said they all looked at each other and said.."WELL, IT"S NOT THE AMP"..;)

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

saw freddy in the summer of 72, live outdoor concert blood rock, johnny nitzing and bugs, freddy was playing in a suit, in the hot afternoon, never forget the 335 on his back move,

thanks for the thread dave

10. SteveGaines

SteveGaines Member

Read where Freddie Used Metal finger picks and would go through strings like nobody's business. While during a tour of Europe he sent the guitar tech for one of the headliner bands to get him some strings. When the guy asked "WHAT GAUGE"?..He replied.."THE BIGGEST THEY GOT". Can you imagine what can of power that guy had in his hands?:omg

11. guitplayer0321

guitplayer0321 Member

Looks like Boston's own Dave Maxwell on piano around 1:53.

12. urbanhiker

urbanhiker Member

In 1975 I saw Freddie open for Clapton in Houston. At the end of Eric's set Freddie came up and they played together; Mr. King brought the house down.

13. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I've been a fan of the three King's my whole life four counting Martin. Thanks for the reminder Dave. I know what I'll be listening to today. Hmmmmmmmmmm Texas Cannonball! My fave is still Burglar. Burglar to me is like Second Winter it never gets old, unlike me.

14. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

You can hear the strings squeaking from the attack in sections of this. Nice collar on the shirt, huh? That baby could take flight in a strong wind.

15. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I love his '70s clothes. He's got that great polyester jumpsuit at that Sugarbowl show. I take it this is one of those Fender Quads someone mentioned. This is a kickass show. Ya'll gotta buy this DVD!

I did a couple of his tunes with a student a few years ago, finger picks and all. So fun!

16. gstan

gstan Member

He didn't just play the guitar with his hands, he played it with his whole body and energy, and the man could work up a sweat. I saw him in Tuscaloosa in '73 or '74 and a friend of mine captured a picture of him right at the moment he stung a note and in the lights, the beads of sweat exploded off of him in all directions like a cloud of diamonds.

17. senseofrelief

senseofrelief Senior Member

So did anyone notice his voice on 'Have you ever loved a woman'....

Pretty incredible...

18. Agitator

Agitator Member

Do you have a copy of the photo? That sounds great.

Thanks for all the Freddie talk, everyone.

19. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Freddie absolutely was an amazing guitar player AND singer both.

Deacon Jones. He's still playing, appears around here in LA, and I think lives here. I actually played with him for a couple of songs once a few years ago. I was King for a Day!

20. gstan

gstan Member

Unfortunately no. That was the 70's. The friend did have the picture blown up and framed but I lost contact with him after college. And of course I never thought about getting a print made for myself. Must have been the fog.