In my head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ytsejam777, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Ytsejam777

Ytsejam777 Member

So, this may be a strange question, but one that I have fought for some time now.
    I have noticed that playing live, in the venues where I am asked to either turn my amp&cab away from the stage, or have it off the stage pointing toward the stage, that I generally hear things differently. I seem to have a better grip on how my playing really sounds especially playing very fast licks, sweeps, etc. If the amp is on stage, and especially if it is close, it seems like I hear the notes die very quickly, and I can't "feel" any nuance in my playing. Fast runs and intricate playing becomes very laborious for my and it frustrates the heck out of me. So...am I imagining all of this? Is it some sort of frequency dispersing issue?
    Thought I would turn it over to the forum experts and see if any one else experiences this. My rig is an H&K Triamp MKII w/4x12 cab and a GSP1101 in the loop...

Thanks!

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

When you're standing up off axis to the speaker cab, most of the sound goes out front
    right past you. Tilting up or cross stage it will act more like a cross stage monitor.

3. memiller

memiller Member

This. Onstage, amps are usually being fire straight into your ass. Unless you're a politician or banker that's not where your ears are. :rimshot