In my search for a Singlecut - J Nunis vs. Trussart one stays one goes on the block!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by r9player, Jan 19, 2006.

1. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Right up front both are top notch guitars, one suited me better then the other.
    Trussart: Steel Deville holey back, stained Maple neck (vs. KOA) Ebony Board, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Pick ups.
    J Nunis: 1 Piece mahogany body and neck Brazilian Board, Flamed Maple top, Seymour Duncan JB (Bridge) and Jazz (neck)

The Trussart is heavier by about 1 LBS I think compared to the J Nunis.

One of the reasons I looked for a J Nunis was that the modern style J Nunis has one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played, this also true for this one. The Trussart neck is incredibly smooth and faster then the J Nunis. The stain I think makes it look nice to match the body.
    The J Nunis is very comfortable and a little thicker then the Trussart, has a carved top where as the Trussart is thinner and has a light arch. Of course both look incredibly cool, just depends what vibe you dig more. The Trussart .. is pretty darn cold when you first grab it though!

Sound: Now to be honest I am a Tele/Strat player and was looking to fill it out with a bit more growl and bite from a Les Paul (style) guitar.
    The Trussart has excellent type balance and sound in both neck and bridge, no muddy sounds or anything like that. I think the maple neck helps make it sound a little brighter because, the J Nunis did favor the bass more (which my earlier Nunis with maple neck did not). However the Trussart lacked "power/punch" turned all the way to 10 I was getting sounds that I feel I can get from my Strat (Strat is hollow Alder with Maple top and Lollar pick ups). The J Nunis though sounded .. BEASTLY with a lot of grit and growl. The Trussart is almost "strat twangie" in the bridge, the J Nunis has that sharp bite. In the Neck the Trussart has a really nice balanced sound the Trussart has that typical Les Paul added bass.

Fiddling around I settled in on keeping the J Nunis since it fits me better, I proceeded to drop in a set of Rolph 59s and auch it is one nasty beastly guitar now with bark, bite and growl. Love the sound and it is a welcome change at times from the Tele/Strat

Look for the Trussart in the Emporium soon

Here are some pics.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. r9player

Sorry for some reason you can't resize pics as you are posting .. and I couldn't get to the html either...

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

How big is the Trussart neck? I've read that they are similar to Gibson's 60's slim taper. would you say that that's a reasonable comparison?

4. r9player

Hi enharmonic 60's sounds about right, I believe it starts out a little thicker / rounder and the taper on the neck isn't as strong as on a 60's.
    One thing for sure the way the neck is finished, it is super smooth and fast.

5. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

I liked my first Nunis so much, Ive got a Koa Double-Cut in process right now. Love Jim's work!

dave

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Diggin that Nunis. I'm not familiar with them...is that relic'd or 'authentic'? Looks like it's been used, but maybe it was built that way. Like it either way. Has a more organic appearance, and hopefully the sound to go with it. Enjoy. AC

7. r9player

The Nunis is excellent, I also like his current rendition as well with the multi laminated maple necks (a bit brighter sound)
    This is not reliced but it does have that "authentic" older look on the finish. Has great acoustic sound unplugged, ton of sustain, and is monstrous (in a good way) when plugged in.
    Kinda like the Trussart is an Englishman and the Nunis a Yankee ...

8. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

9. r9player

can't get to the text can someone put it up here?

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Yeah! With a lead in like that, the suspense is killin me!

11. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

It has been reported that Jim Nunis has stage 4 kidney cancer, which has spread to his lungs. He is undergoing experimental treatment, which may give him 2-3 years. Otherwise, the estimates are 4 months.

Let's pray that this isn't the case.

12. r9player

Aw man that is nuts :( Pray he's going to be allright.

13. r9player

BTW looks like the finish no my Nunis is the Vintage Fade.

14. r9player

Woah part of my HC review entry is on J Nunis' reviews page haha never knew that!

15. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Damn. Very sorry to hear that Mr. Nunis is battling cancer :(

As for the Trussart, I wish the neck was bigger. I can't work with those tiny 60's style necks.

16. drjenkins

No doubt!! I was just up at his house in September. Im trying to get onto the LP Forum but it's like pulling teeth.I need some info asap,Im getting pretty damn worried here. Jim has gotten to be a pretty close friend. I thought he was just swamped with his backlog of work. He told me he had an appt. with his Doctor, but didnt hint at it being this serious. Thoughts and prayers go out to him. And any info you guys can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

dave

17. bailnout

bailnout Member

Hey guys,

I'm real close to Jim. He is a VERY good friend of mine. I'm the one that took him to his first round of tests near the end of last year. I was devastated when he reluctantly told me the results. I broke down right in the middle of Lowe's. I think he would like to keep his medical situation private so I will ask on his behalf that we all be respectful of his privacy on an open forum like this. Let's just all keep him in our prayers.

I can tell you first hand that Jim is a lurker on this forum as well as many of the forums on the web and he really appreciates all the nice things people have said about him and his guitars. I think he not only used an online statement from r9player but from drjenkins as well on his web site. If you guys want to email me a good picture of yourself with your Nunis, I'll get it up on the site. We need to update the photo gallery anyway.

Anyway, Jim is a very big hearted guy and all of the positive press has inspired him. Before we found out about his condition, we were in the planning stages of moving him to a larger shop, retooling, and taking the company to the next plateau. Of course, now things are on hold. WHEN he gets better he WILL resume his passion of making is customer's dreams come true. He made my dream a reality and I am forever grateful to him.

Here's may baby:
    [​IMG]

18. r9player

Thanks Bailnout! That btw is an awesome Nunis, I like the string thru idea!
    As for a picture with my Nunis .. I'd just scare customers away!!! :D

19. bailnout

bailnout Member

Yea, that was one of the pain in his ass requests I made that he did for me. It took a second to get used to the feel of the increased angle behind the bridge but now I actually use that space that wasn't there before to put my hand in a position that I could never do with any of my Gibsons. I can get a tone out of my pick I never could before! And the increased resonance I feel I'm getting out of that design is just dynamite!!

That's a one piece limba neck and one piece back BTW. In fact both pieces are from the same board!!! I just can't get enough of that guitar. :)

20. drjenkins

Hey, Not a problem at all. Like I said, Im just really worried since I saw this news. I consider Jim a good friend, and a hell of a guy. So needless to say, I was more than concerned. Is it cool if I email you some things I d like to get along to Jim? Just lemm know.

Thanks so much for the info, It is much appreciated

dave calhoun

my baby:[​IMG][​IMG]