In My Time of Dying

Go Cat Go!!

I saw this one posted here sometime last year. It has since become one of my favorites. I thought it was worth re-posting. I love how haunting this version is.

Can you guys answer some stupid questions? I've looked for a Job Cain band but cannot find any albums or MP3's. Was this a one off session? I would love to here more.

MJR

That certainly looks and sounds like Audley Freed, who incidently is not only a helluva player, but a super friendly guy to boot. I was in Fat Sound sometime in 2000, having just played around in the acoustic room, when I came out into the main room to find him jamming through some Dr. Z amps. We traded licks back and forth for a few. :rockin

todd richman

It is and he is also on the version on Motivational Speaker which I was listening to this A.M. for the 5,000th time. I love AYH! Haven't heard from him here in a few weeks?

Go Cat Go!!

Is that Audley Freed?
yes it is. From the youtube post -

Alvin Youngblood Hart (guitar vocals)(currently touring with Bo Diddley)
Audley Freed (guitars) (Black Crowes)
Robert Kearns (bass/ vocals) (Bottle Rockets)
Ed Michaels (drums) (Blue Stone Project)
In My Time of Dying
Live in Blackpool, UK
April 2003
From the blues collection of The Library of Alexandria. Not filmed, but posted with permission by Mitch at www.fantasyva.c

Alvis

Can you guys answer some stupid questions? I've looked for a Job Cain band but cannot find any albums or MP3's. Was this a one off session? I would love to here more.
It was somethin me & Audley decided to throw together in early '03.Our 1st gigs in the USA were pretty exciting ,great energy ,rock guitar jams (not jamband noodlin):hide2
Basically lasted from the end of February until about June/July.We played from Australia to Norway and all points between ,using my booking resources (which were not much) also using my shoestring logistical resources.
Things were movin along OK until London . Robert got mugged and the van was broken into .I lost a 2x12 Marshall cab,ashdown bass head,Iron Cobra kick pedal ,my pedal board and one of my leather jackets
We got the gear situation fixed pretty fast ,but the morale was gone to hell. THEN days later in Holland, I slammed my left index finger in the van door.Now I should've quit and went home ,but I wanted everybody to get paid somethin ,so I continued on with a big throbbing black n blue finger

I had songs I was savin for Job Cain and asked the other guys if they had stuff, but no one seemed to into it ,so I had to move on and Motivational Speaker was made .As it stands now , the only studio recording of that band is the song Stomp Dance on motivational spkr. (and the bass part still aint right).Could be the cry o love guys were lookin for somethin more steady,lucrative and easier travelling than being a 40 yr old guy humpin Marshalls in&out of a van.Me , I have no choice .....
We never really talked about it .We're all still pals
They both live in Nashville and have found great opportunities there.Audley since toured with Chris Robinson's New Earth Mud,Dixie Chicks,Frampton & Jakob Dylan. Robert had a about a yee haw Nashville country gig with Chris Cagle.Now he's with what's called Skynyrd.
Ed, the drummer continued to play with me until about 2007.He was last workin with the harmonica player Jason Ricci

Oh yeah I forgot Sheffield ,before London .Shoulda been a sign of bad things to come .I think all the members of the troupe ,except me & Freed got food poisoning from some English meat pies backstage.The incident is recorded in the Job Cain journals as The Sheffield S**ts

BTW, the band was named after Elvin Jones' character in the 70s cult film,Zachariah.We are all rabid James Gang fans and were just payin respect ....

A shot from our 2nd gig,Starkville MS Feb 03

The album cover that wasn't. Can you find the James Gang references?
Ah,good ol' Red ,my favorite horse ever
Ed wanted to call the record Gas ,Grass or Ass,but I didn't think my or Robert's mom would like that too much .......

Two-Octave

I'll try to list some James Gang references.

The horse on the cover is one. Jesse Come Home had a horse on it.

The word 'rides'. (James Gang Rides Again.)

How you spelled 'for' as 'fer'. (Yer Album.)

EDIT--- James Gang Live had horses too. :D

Go Cat Go!!

Wow! I never thought my post would actually be answered by any of gents in the vid!! Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed info!!! I wish the band would have survived. It was a supergroup as far as I'm concerned. I love your vocals and slide work on this one. They're incredibly haunting and soulful. It's nice to know you are all still friends. Maybe we can hear some more collaborations in the future.

BTW - I never want to experience the Sheffield S***S.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
Great song, one of my faves from Motivational Speaker. I am totally bummed I am missing you tonight at the Maple Leaf, Alvin. I have kid duty. :-(

Mike

waylon

I caught 3-4 JoB Cain gigs. Even so much as driving one way 12 hours (Penhook, VA to Memphis, TN) to catch one. Probably one of the best musical performances I've ever seen. Great band that unfortunately didn't last very long.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
This thread is perfect as I've been playing Motivational Speaker to death this week! Throwing Start With the Soul in once and a while for good measure!

Wish I would have seen Job Cain live. Audley and Alvin...DAMN!

Last edited:
It was somethin me & Audley decided to throw together in early '03.Our 1st gigs in the USA were pretty exciting ,great energy ,rock guitar jams (not jamband noodlin):hide2
Basically lasted from the end of February until about June/July.We played from Australia to Norway and all points between ,using my booking resources (which were not much) also using my shoestring logistical resources.
Things were movin along OK until London . Robert got mugged and the van was broken into .I lost a 2x12 Marshall cab,ashdown bass head,Iron Cobra kick pedal ,my pedal board and one of my leather jackets
We got the gear situation fixed pretty fast ,but the morale was gone to hell. THEN days later in Holland, I slammed my left index finger in the van door.Now I should've quit and went home ,but I wanted everybody to get paid somethin ,so I continued on with a big throbbing black n blue finger

I had songs I was savin for Job Cain and asked the other guys if they had stuff, but no one seemed to into it ,so I had to move on and Motivational Speaker was made .As it stands now , the only studio recording of that band is the song Stomp Dance on motivational spkr. (and the bass part still aint right).Could be the cry o love guys were lookin for somethin more steady,lucrative and easier travelling than being a 40 yr old guy humpin Marshalls in&out of a van.Me , I have no choice .....
We never really talked about it .We're all still pals
They both live in Nashville and have found great opportunities there.Audley since toured with Chris Robinson's New Earth Mud,Dixie Chicks,Frampton & Jakob Dylan. Robert had a about a yee haw Nashville country gig with Chris Cagle.Now he's with what's called Skynyrd.
Ed, the drummer continued to play with me until about 2007.He was last workin with the harmonica player Jason Ricci

Oh yeah I forgot Sheffield ,before London .Shoulda been a sign of bad things to come .I think all the members of the troupe ,except me & Freed got food poisoning from some English meat pies backstage.The incident is recorded in the Job Cain journals as The Sheffield S**ts

BTW, the band was named after Elvin Jones' character in the 70s cult film,Zachariah.We are all rabid James Gang fans and were just payin respect ....

A shot from our 2nd gig,Starkville MS Feb 03

The album cover that wasn't. Can you find the James Gang references?
Ah,good ol' Red ,my favorite horse ever
Ed wanted to call the record Gas ,Grass or Ass,but I didn't think my or Robert's mom would like that too much .......

I was at that show in Starkville at the State Theater (Bistro or whatever it was called) -- the three guys on the left in the pic holding the beers are some of my Kappa Sig fraternity brothers, and I'm behind them about 4 feet. I saw that pic and had a bit of deja vu!

chrisr777

I love the Danelectro. Same guitar Page was playing when I saw Zep do this in '77. I would love to have seen this too.

trisonic

Alvin,
Can I just say that I'm impressed that you even tried an English meat pie.......actually most of them are very good and one of the things I miss about England......

Best, Pete.

Alvis

Alvin,
Can I just say that I'm impressed that you even tried an English meat pie.......actually most of them are very good and one of the things I miss about England......

Best, Pete.
I actually used to like 'em before that incident.Back in '89 there was an English bartender at a place called Puffy's Tavern in NYC. That was my "headquarters" when I was in US Coast Guard electronics school. That guy used to make the killer pies .That's when i got turned on to 'em

Bluedawg

Yeh .. a nice take on one of Blind Willie Johnson's great songs.

And one of my coworkers just left our office late last year ... last I talked he is trying to set up a small business making English meat pies ... including some with a southwestern touch ...

he brought in some samples some time back ... very yummy

:banana

Trending Topics