In need of a versatile delay and "pitch wobbler"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by protoangel, Mar 24, 2006.

1. protoangel

protoangel Member

Hey guys --- help me out!

Which vib and delay pedals do you recommend?

I don't have much to spend but will not >completely< ignore expensive suggestions :D

I heard some lovely clips from the ZVEX loop junky... Those delicious warm LFO type wobbles and that warm echo are great.

Shame you can only use tose FX on the loops you create.

Personally I much prefer these sounds to boring old Chorus, and I'm not about to rush out and get a ch***s pedal any time soon!

Are there any smaller pedals that do that kinda thing?

>>> I understand the new Marshall EH-1 Echo Head imitates tape wow and flutter on the delays (probably an LFO on the wet signal?) <<<

Has anyone tried one out? they're around the £58-60 mark in the UK, not beyond my pocket.

I suspect I may have to get 2 pedals for what I want though... how 'bout dual pedals?

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The Line 6 Echo Park does a really nice Tape and Analog Echo sim. Plus you can use these settings for the Reverse sim. Coolest reverse effects I've ever heard.

3. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

ditto the EchoPark....!

4. erksin

erksin Member

The new Jacques Prisoner Analog Delay has modulation...

www.ts808.com

5. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Most modulated delays will do it -

EHX DMM, Digitech PDS 20/20, Jacques Prisoner, Diamond Memory Lane, Digitech DigiDelay,Boss DD20, etc,

If you're mostly looking for the wobble, warble, pitch shifting thing you might check out pedals that do vibrato -

DLS Chorus~Vib, SIB Vibromatic, Rastop Phaser/Vibrato, DOD Vibrothang, Rocktron Deep Blue

have fun!

6. msp

msp Member

regarding the fact that you have little to spend.....i will leave out my most earnest recomendations

but the jacques prisoner is a great econo analog delay with modulation (its actually very impressive for the price)

i owned the boss dd-20 for a while and it really does a good job emulating other types of delay (and a ton of features to boot) definately can find lots of warbly delay noises in there too

also just for the vibe there is the sweet sound mofaux vibe that is very affordable and well has a really sweet sound (nyuck nyuck) highly recomend that one for a budget vibe

7. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

The vibrato "setting" on my SweetSound Ultra Vibe connected to an analog delay is very tasty.

8. protoangel

protoangel Member

Splendid!

Thanks guys... I have an impressive list to research!

AbbeSauniere and chrisr0712 RE the echo park... I read that the line 6 pedals thin the tone due to the AD>>DA process. What's been your experience with that?

In fact, are you finding any detrimental phase shift with the new digital pedals (either straight into the pedal or when you use them in a looper or A+B?) I have an old DigiTech multifX, and I can't use it blended with my dry sig because of the scooped sound. Even if I have the signal completely wet, there's som eserious phase issues.

I presume this may be fine with newer stuff?

9. drolling

drolling Member

It's a funny thing that I don't have ANY *swirly* pedals except for a Sweetsound Ultravibe - but I can't get enough modulated analog delay.

I've yet to hear a digital delay that does a really, really convincing job simulating bucket-brigade chip echo, and there's something so lush & organic sounding about about the quality of the mod. circuits in analog pedals.

They're ALL different, too. That's where the true 'personality' of analog delay makes itself felt.

The Memory Man's 'chorus/vibrato' mode's probably the sickest I've heard. At extreme settings, this one's almost too weird. The most thick & seasick modulation I've heard.

The Memory Lane's considerably more controlled & polite - more 'musical' sounding in a hi-fi sorta way.

But I just got my hands on a Jacques Prisoner today, and the modulation's very cool - just about half way between the DMM and the ML, but it's only got about 300ms of delay time available, which may be too short for some applications.

Unlike the other two, it doesn't self-oscillate, which was initially a bit dissappointing, but I've decided I like the delayed tone (no EQ controls, but its voicing's a nice balance between crisp & clear/warm & blurry) and the unique sounding modulation enough to keep it. It's also much smaller & cheaper than the ElectroHarmonix or the Diamond pedals.

10. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

drolling,
    Looking forward to your complete assessment of the PRISONER once you've played her a bit.
    Good to be back here!

11. erksin

erksin Member

I picked up a Prisoner about two weeks ago (replaced my Arion SAD-1). REALLY dig this box!

Much like drolling said - perfect balance of crisp and warm repeats. The modulation is great for adding a tape delayed type flange to it.

I'm not a huge delay freak, I don't need long delay times or self oscillation so it's perfect for my needs (slap-back, Echoplexy Page/Bolin tones).

The only thing I didn't like at first was the switch - it's a Boss style latch thingy that has a VERY short travel (like a 1/16th of an inch). I'm used to it now, but if I was a lead footed stomper it would have to go back.

12. drolling

drolling Member

Ahh, yes.. Nice to be home again..

As I said in the *other* Prisoner thread, that clicky li'l plastic switch is almost identical in design to my old DigiTech PDS series pedals from the mid-80s - are they're still going strong. Presumably sturdier than they look/feel.

The more I play w/this one, the more I like it. Unlike my old EH MemoryMan, it stands up to a good battering w/a fairly hot signal without degenerating into ugly clipping.

So far it's playing nice w/every other pedal I've paired it up with, and Jacques unique take on modulation is growing on me by the hour.

If "true" bypass, runaway oscillation and tap tempo aren't on your essential-feature-list for an analog delay/modulation pedal, I think I could recommend this one w/confidence.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I still like my Deluxe Memory Man. It's got stereo outs, true bypass, and you can add chorus or vibrato (pitch wiggle) to the wet signal. Go E-H! I already got a POG, too and unfortunately have my mind set on a HOG and 2880 looper! Arg!