1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

In need of a "Vibe 101"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dave Wakely, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I play pretty clean most of the time, but use a lot of modulation-based fx (chorus, tremolo, delay) as my musical style is modern jazz with an impressionic approach (forlack of a better description). (If you want a rock-typeplayer who sounds I love, it'd probably be Gilmour).

I'm attracted to the idea of a vibe pedal, but know very little. I have a Line 6 Rotomachine, which can do a great Charlie Hunter but generally I'm not found of it. (Often muddy, noisy, sucks tone ....) I also want a pedal that I can apply a touch of, rather than suddenly turning into an organist o swirling down a musical plughole.

So, recommendations please! :)

2. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

What is Vibe?

Leslie is a rotating speaker effect designed fro use with electric organs - specifically the Hammond B3. There is one speaker for the higher frequencies and one for the lower frequencies. the rotate independently and you can speed up or slow down the speed of rotation to a preset limit at a preset rate.

Univibe is an effect designed to replace the big heavy Leslie cabinet. It does not sound like a Leslie. It is a form of 4 stage phaser with the addition of a set of light dependent resistors (LDR's) and a low frequency oscillator (LFO). A 100% wet signal from this circuit produces a pitch modulated sound which is labelled "Vibrato." A wet/dry blended signal from the univibe circuit generates an asymmetrical sweeping phased effect with a notable throbbing quality. This Univibe tone is often labeled "Chorus" even though it isn't a chorus effect.

I'm going to stop here, because it's giving me a headache.

;)

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think it is possible you won't be crazy about vibe...

It doesn't have to be organist-swirly-hole...in fact, vibes rarely (to me) sound like that. Leslie simulators do, the Whirl-i-gig does, but most vibes I have played don't.

But they also lose a lot of the sound of your guitar, and replace it with vibe'ed sound. On Gilmour, you can hear vibe on Dark Side of the Moon, in a lot of places. That is clean vibe. If you have Hendrix's "Band of Gypsys" specifically machine gun, or versions of "Hear my train a'comin" those are vibe sounds at their best I think.

The problem you might run into, just guessing, is if you want a slight vibe effect. Often turning the intensity down, ends up brightening the sound quite a bit...turn it up and you tend to get a thick "whup-whup" kind of sound, darker...

I found out for myself, vibe is one of those effects that you have to have on quite a bit (I'm talking about in the chorus setting now...in "vibrato" (which is actual pitch changing vibrato) setting they can be less effecty) and have to let the sound you get dictate more what you play...certain things sound then better...

To start out with the best, I would say either a Mojo Vibe, or a Ultravibe II (both made by Sweetsound, Bob Sweet's company).
    Mojo if you want pedal sized and run 9 vdc from a power supply, but if you want the real deal with it's own power cord (I think...the old ultravibe was) but bigger, the Ultravibe II.

4. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

good place to start would be a tonefactor/mojo hand nebula.
    not a vibe per se, more a phaser, but it will give you a rough idea of what a proper univibe is like.
    it has more of a tremolo behaviour to its modulation where as a phaser is more swirl and a chorus more shimmer/warble.

ive had/tried some good vibes (foxrox, fulltone, sweet sound) and while they sound very very cool, its a pretty boring effect after a while.
    i much prefer chorus, especially to spice jazz things up.
    single note jazz lines with a chorus running around the same tempo you are playing is quite cool.

5. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

The Mojo Vibe is great. As someone that uses a lot of modulation, you may also find the vibrato setting useful. It doesn't "phase" the sound like the vibe, and can be dialed in with just a touch for a barely noticeable wobble.
    Nice. With the Mojo Vibe, you really get two effects in one.

6. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Looks like I asked everyone to open a can of worms - sorry! :) To stick with the adjectives that are getting used, I like shimmer and swirl, but I don't like warble! (Well, volume warble has it's place - I do like tremolo in moderation: it's an effect 'for effect' rather than a 'leave it on for the whole song' thing!). I do run a Morley FX Blender, so having 'some' vibe without turning down the pedal's intensity is possible with my existing set-up - effectively, I have a controllable FX Send in the middle of the board. Does that help.

Really just looking for suggestions of pedals I could go on and research. (By way of anologies with what I already have, I use an old Boss Dimension-C pedal (the one with four pots rather than just buttons), which gets regular use as a kind of "non-warble chorus". Nice for a touch of shimmer. Kind of looking for the same kind of idea but with a touch of swirl (and maybe the merest hint of whoosh). God the language is a minefield here, isn't it!

7. gregory49

gregory49 Member

What kind of tones would you be going for if you were to get a univibe style pedal?

8. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

You may want to check out the Danelectro Chicken Salad they can be had for $30 bucks on Ebay.Just to find out if you need a vibe or like it.Here is the pedal I am very curious about.This could very well be a chicken salad with true bypass, metal casing and metal jacks :)

http://www.coolcattone.com/vibe.html

9. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

Hey, without true vibrato, you're just going to third base.

10. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

"Hey, without true vibrato, you're just going to third base."

To which the witty answer is that I'm English, and us Englishmen are just made that way :)

And the more sensible answer is that a touch of flutter is ok, but a full on lurch isn't really my cuppa. I'm thinking more ethereal than visceral here: more Jim Hall, less Royal Albert. (There's a really strained onward pun about intensity, knobs and Prince Albert, but I've not had a drink so I won't try to figure it out ...)

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Which is why I warned, I don't think you really DO want a vibe. They're visceral if nothing else. They are sometimes downright naughty...
    Seriously, vibes can get the "Who's That Lady" (Isley bros.) kinda thing...at least my Deja-mini can. But I don't really want or like that.

Vibes tend to mess seriously with your basic tone...again the intensity knob changes this a bit, but often they are very picky about placement in the chain, and other buffers, and such and tend to either sound thin or blobby...like a muffled bass...or flutter.

Ethereal...haven't heard a vibe yet do that unless you mean like Band of Gypsys...but that was pretty "earthy".

12. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

For your playing and listening pleasure, I give you Smoke and Mirrors

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=&uzc=&command=link--awsm

13. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I was on a clean kick for a while last year and found that I loved my Deja 2 with the depth very low and the effect on very slow. It added a subtle shimmer to the guitar and it wasn't totally obvious. It can get a little mechanical sounding though (the danger with phasers, flangers and chorus also) but for certain regal sounding chord riffs, it seemed like the right thing. That hard core deep throbbing thing that the rock guys want it for goes too far for me though. I'm just saying that there's some subtleness in the pedal that you may find rewarding. Having the treadle on the Deja 2 meant that I could vary the speed for certain ideas. This helped keep it more organic sounding.

14. drolling

drolling Member

Hey, you're a pretty funny guy, Dave.. I've chuckled my way thru' your posts to arrive at, I think, a possible understanding of what it is that you just might be after..

I'm gonna suggest the only *swirly* I used for those many long years that a real Univibe was out of my reach;

an *MXR Phase 90*.

They're been around since the '70s in one watered-down, bastardized form or another, but your timing's excellent, as the OEM's finally released a truly accurate reissue of the one I used at every gig until I was finally able to retire it in favor of a 'vibe clone.

The "hand-wired" *script-logo* '76 RI's a classic effect that's been featured in one form or another on countless recordings spanning just about every genre of modern rock music from funk, thru' country, to psychedelic, blues/jazz, fusion and even shred.

You can add a delicate touch to crystal cleans or schmear it on thick atop an amp in the final stages of fission..

Best of all;

Not a trace of WARBLE, WOBBLE or LURCH! no dimenhydrinate required.

As you've said, you've got chorus, tremolo & delay covered, and we pro guitarists have always known that flanging's best left to the qualified thumbs of licensed recording engineers.

So, seriously, try some variable comb filtering!