in need of two fuzzes. help me.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smitty.west, May 28, 2015.

1. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

my long winding overdrive search is coming to an end as i acquire some choice pedals that yield terrific results, but my fuzz search is just commencing. a long time ago i was a fuzz fiend the likes of which would make a "strictly fuzz" poster turn white... but it's been years and i've been totally out of the loop. i'm ideally looking for two fuzzes-- well, ideally just one-- to help cover a broad sonic range. i'm looking for one that'll give me those huge muff type rhythm and lead sounds and one for a more farty, square wave rude sound. budget would be up to $350 for each, though would prefer to stay well under. i was thinking- if going with one- that i'd splurge for a cornish p-1 having had an ng-2 in the past that i loved, but then thought i could have a few equally killer boxes for less. basic audio stuff is appealing, but so is plenty of other stuff. help. where should i be looking? playing single coil fenders into el84's. gilmour, frusciante, tame impala, etc.

2. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

You say Tame Impala... in a recent post the Scratchy Snatch really caught my eye(ear)...

nkt275 likes this.
  3. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Supporting Member

If you like Gilmour style, you should check out the reviews on: http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=3389
    No single fuzz pedal can cover all the variety.
    Wren and Cuff pedals sound very good.
    Jext Telez Dizzy Tone is a crazy fuzz.
    I recently bought a Keeley Black Silk OC75 that is a very full and strong fuzz that surprised me with its heavy bass emphasis - a lot like a muff. Not readily available.
    Certainly a zoo of fuzz pedals available these days. I maintain a small zoo.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I just got a Biyang Fuzz Star. It's less than $50 (I paid $35 including shipping) and it's a pretty much an exact copy of the reissue Muff with a micro switch that turns on a couple of typical Muff mods. Plus it's very well built with quality pots and switches, a lot more sturdy than some other cheap pedals with plastic cases.

5. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Take a look at Buffalo FX for the first flavor. Either the Ram's Head or the Patriot may work for you.

For the other flavor, I think the Devi Ever Hyperion may fit the bill.

This route would set you back only about $345 total.

A single pedal to cover both needs, that may be tough, but an HBE UFO may work for both.

6. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Muff style with lots of variations I would choose Basic Audio's Alter Destiny. My favorite fuzz at the moment.

radiomanjh, twp and BAN like this.
  7. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

$700 budget? I would get a Fuzz Factory 7, a Deluxe Big Muff Pi, and maybe some type of tone bender.

8. manasquanto

manasquanto Member

I don't own one, but the EQD Hoof Reaper looks good. 2 fuzzes and an octave.

9. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Yes, that's a good one with plenty of flexibility.

-bEn r.

10. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I really liked my Blackout Blunderbuss for the muff tones. The Basic Audio offerings are very good too, he has 3 muff types, Tri/Ram, Alter Destiny and the Foxey Lady. all have good features, just voiced different. The other fuzz you should try a Trombetta Mini Bone, pretty cool pedal.

11. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Blackout Effectors Seriously Special Twosome. Fix'D on one side, Blunderbuss on the other, stackable in either direction.

NorthernLights and DryBones like this.
  12. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

I had a Twosome, still kicking myself for selling it. It's a Swiss Army knife of fuzzes.

NorthernLights likes this.
  13. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Me too, man... Me too.

14. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Member

I can confirm that the fuzz star is a great-sounding muff for cheap. It's built solid too - quality components, real switch. Not quite as severly scooped (but still totally a muff), and I've read it's closest to the ram's head version.

For square wave and other ugly fuzz sounds, nothing has beaten my wolf computer. You could voltage starve a fuzzface - particularly one with an exterior bias pot - and likely get similar sounds.

Cheap fuzzes can sound great - I'd sooner buy a handful of well-regarded cheap ones and keep the ones that worked for me than gamble time and money on boutique fuzzes (some are worth it, IMO, others are not). Fuzz is a category of effect unlike, say, delays or loopers - most are so simple that great sound and function can be brought to market for low cost.

That said, if I was going to drop some coin on a fuzz, it would probably be the fix'd deluxe. Had one as part of a twosome a few years ago, very flexible fuzz.

15. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

Still have mine. Was my first fuzz.... i've been debating whether to sell it or not. I should probably go back and try it out again. I just didn't like the size but i did enjoy both sides.... hmmm....

coltonius likes this.
  16. tuj

tuj Member

^^^ this.

17. Sean413

Sean413 Member

I'd go with a skreddy lmmd and a bearfoot candiru. Shop used and that should fit your budget! Good luck with the search.

Sociophile likes this.
  18. DryBones

DryBones Member

Sounds like you are describing exactly this pedal. I've only had the Fix'd though.

19. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

For the buzzy farty fuzz, check out the Devi Ever US fuzz. It's well under your budget!

20. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Check this video out:

NorthernLights likes this.