• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

In 'Pedal' Retrospect ~ Think I may have bought more I disliked than Liked.

jota

I have a list of all the pedals I have/had.
From the 45 pedals I have/had I liked most of them but I only keep about 10.

Dave2512

For sure most didn't improve my sound compared to a previous version. IME pedals are about ease of use and not introducing noise to the signal.

The Captain

I have not bought that many. A couple that I didn't love included a Supa-Trem. NOt that it sounmded bad, but if there is a brown note, it's square-wave tremolo. I needed to take a dump every tiem I turned it on.
I also have an Electroharmonix Electric MIstress that hasn't worked out. It's a two knob one, which I bought to get the "jet-plane" flanging sound on ARe YOu Going MY Way. It sounds nothing like it. I had a Boss ME-33 that nailed it perfectly. I think it's a BOss or nothing sound.

$tratcat

I've got many that are not as useful in a live setting as they are for home recording. Some of my very old pedals color the bypass tone too much or are battery only. I keep buying more pedals though.

soundmuppet

Platinum Supporting Member
I've got many that are not as useful in a live setting as they are for home recording. Some of my very old pedals color the bypass tone too much or are battery only. I keep buying more pedals though.
I was going to add that it also very much depends on the amp too. I found that a pedal may sound absolutely fantastic in front of one amp and just plain suck with another.

I'm guilty of buying pedals that I liked the idea of.....if that makes any sense. I discovered that I'd read about a pedal having infinite tweak ability and a billion sounds, just to get the pedal and realize I tend to set it to one thing and leave it there. At least I learned something about myself in the process: I'm a plug in and play kinda guy, not a knob-tweaker.

I just write it off as the price of learning what I like and what I dislike.

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
The two most important things to me about pedals are articulation and tone. Too often the pedals I buy fail in one of these two categories. I have found that with pedals that can be run at 18 volts if I run them in the amp’s loop rather than into the front end of the amp they sound much better. I started using a Gigrig G2 switching system on my main board that makes this really easy to do.

not me...ive kept 99% of all the pedals Ive bought over the past 12 years. I probably have 200+...mostly dirt pedals

I just recently put my marshall guvnor II back on my board...tweaked it, and it sounds AWESOME...loving it...its like I bought a new pedal...it booted my barber direct drive, which was my favorite marshall in a box pedal for YEARS

I love going pedal shopping in my closet...lol...I could probably make 4 or 5 complete pedal boards and like them all equally

pedals are about variety, especially dirt pedals...for the most part they ALL get the job done

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
The interesting thing I've found is that a lot of "Foundation" and Distortion pedals do not work for me at all. They work well at low volumes, but when I run them through my cranked rig, they actually seem to diminish its presence and punch. I have to use things like a Klon, a FDII, an EP booster alone or in combinations to give me incremental ramp ups in gain. None of those pedals diminish my overall sonic "footprint", but many other pedals, that I loved from a tone perspective, did.

EDIT: Having said that, I have successfully used some of these pedals to get a "different, distinctive second guitar tone" on some recent recordings, so I still like them and use them in that way, just can't use them in my basic, live rig.

Last edited:

muzishun

Time based pedals I have been generally happy with, but distortion or od pedals are tricky. It's all about how they work with my amp at gig level.

I am pretty picky about distortion, and so use pedals to push or flavor the amp's drive. It's much simpler to do the pedal platform thing, but at a gig I am never happy with boxes alone for dirt.

I was surprised when I first used a boss ds1 at a gig. Had other pedals that sounded much better at practice, assumed I would use them. But ended up using the boss. It sounded great with my amp at volume.

Dave2512

Definitely have bought many where I later thought why do I need this and turned out I didn't, talking to you Uni-Vibe. I'd be good with just a decent small tube amp and a wah, say SFDR and an old Cry Baby. And wah's were one of the pedals I chased forever to end up back at the beater CB I've had since the 80's.

Harryq

Silver Supporting Member
not me...ive kept 99% of all the pedals Ive bought over the past 12 years. I probably have 200+...mostly dirt pedals

I just recently put my marshall guvnor II back on my board...tweaked it, and it sounds AWESOME...loving it...its like I bought a new pedal...it booted my barber direct drive, which was my favorite marshall in a box pedal for YEARS

I love going pedal shopping in my closet...lol...I could probably make 4 or 5 complete pedal boards and like them all equally

pedals are about variety, especially dirt pedals...for the most part they ALL get the job done
Dude, you must be the Dirk Ziff of pedals!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom