In praise of cheap pedals: E-H Soul Food!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Burstbucker, May 5, 2015.

1. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I was going through my considerable pile of dirt boxes, fuzz boxes and even my Diamond Compressor and just for fun, I hauled out the Soul Food pedal that I bought last year or the year before.

I've got to tell you that this little cheepy is a whole lot of bang for the buck! Excellent sounding pedal, I could swear that it sounds like something much more expensive. Wow!

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Agreed. I still love it too

3. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I have had several EHX pedals break, so I am afraid of the Soul Food.

If it weren't for that I would try one.

4. Big_ryan

Big_ryan Member

I just got the b9, I don't consider it "cheap" but it sure is a bucket of fun

5. Coda11

Coda11 Member

I agree for the soul food, it is a very very nice overdrive for the price!
    I use it as a clean boost for solos or important rhythmic patterns that have to be heard in the mix.

Regarding the fiability, I do not think it will break soon. Potentiometers are super cheap, but it is not the part that break often. The switch is a classic 3PDT, and most of the components are reliable SMD.

6. petty1818

petty1818 Member

When I first got the Soul Food I was impressed but I quickly lost interest. I have tried pulling it off the shelf a few times to try it on my board and it just doesn't come close to my other boost/overdrive pedals. It's "okay" IMO but nothing special. I also find it to be a bit noisy for a low gain drive.

I love my B9 but I can't get rid of the modulated white noise that's always in my signal, even when I am not playing. I might try to replace it because I do love the pedal, I just hate the added noise.

7. champster

champster Member

I had one and tried to make it work for me. Compared to the real thing it just sounded horrible to me. Then I tried to mod the SF and found out how lousy these pedals are made. It ended up in the trash while my Klon stays on my board.
    I will never buy another pedal made by EHX.

8. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

Having modified / repaired hundreds of Soul Foods, I can tell you the pots are the weak link. People try to remove one of the knobs (or step on it with their foot) and snap the shaft off. Replacing them requires some delicate surgery. The part is not a standard 16mm pot. I had a difficult time sourcing them in the past but Small Bear now stocks them. The 3PDT switch is connected by a ribbon cable - making replacement a bit challenging. The charge pump IC can fail on occasion when the pedal is powered with an inexpensive "daisy chain" type power supply. I was able to successfully replace one on a Bass Soul Food recently but it's not for the shaky handed amateur solderer, that's for sure.
    It's a great sounding pedal for the price but the trade off is compromises are made with component selection and circuit design.

9. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I love mine. It kicked a Walrus Voyager off of my board!

I use it as a lower-gain OD. A Little Green Wonder is my higher-gain OD and I do not stack them.

10. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I couldn't return mine back to the store fast enough. Well, I did keep it a couple of weeks and tried to love it. It didn't work for me.
    I just got a Klone from Shane at Rock Your Repaired Amp. GREAT JOB SHANE!!! I love this pedal.
    Just goes to show what good components and quality building will do for sound.

11. demea26

demea26 Member

If you like the Soul Food, you'll LOVE the Mythical Overdrive. I'm A/B'ing them at the moment and the SF is going back this weekend.

I know the MO is 2x the price and they're both Klones...but its no contest at all. Different league

12. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I absolutely love my Soul Food.. I use it as a light OD at times, but usually as a clean boost. I love the colour it adds to my tone.. but it's probably very rig related, and I actually didn't like it so much when I first got it as I do now.

13. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Picked one up yesterday, after 10 minutes I realized it was a keeper,
    so off came the knobs & on went the velcro.
    Running it in buffered, it's louder & my fuzz actually sounds better.

[​IMG]