In praise of Dunlop Primetone picks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by naveed211, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Really love those picks.

Not cheap, but worth it IMHO.

fretless likes this.
  2. monty

monty Member

Agreed, found they wore pretty fast which I was disappointed in considering the price.

YYZ likes this.
  3. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

After many years of Jazz III's, the Ultex Flow 1.5 is my new pick.

4. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I used the blue tortex from when they first came out until about 15 years ago, when my son suggested I try the green gator grips.

At this rate, I’m not due for a change until about 2029.
    But, I’ll keep these in mind ...

5. MLaVache

MLaVache Member

I've got Primetones in all of the thicknesses from .73 to 1.4. I also use a 1.4 large triangle for mandolin.

I enjoy all of the sizes and it really depends on the day.

This is the only pick that I do that with. Before this I was Tortex purples all the way.

naveed211 likes this.
  6. mrdannyboy

mrdannyboy Member

Im really digin' the .88 tusq jazz pics

7. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

I have like 500 picks, just because I’m a loonbag

I’m not trying those- glad you like em though, they seem cool

teleman1 likes this.
  8. Warlag

Warlag Member

Gonna have to give these a try! A lot of cool new picks out there and got me wanting to try some of them out. I usually use the tortex picks and sometimes Tusq picks! They are cool picks but don’t seem to last as long as the tortex.

9. HesNot

HesNot Member

I'll jump on board the Primetone bandwagon - I use JazzIII XLs in .88 (acoustic) or 1.4 (electric) pretty much exclusively now... I will periodically use the Petrucci Jazz III which is closer to an XL size as well. I slightly prefer the Primetone to the Petrucci but it may be the better grip.

I've mostly used teardrop shape pickups from way back and struggle a bit with standard picks (did try to use them at various points) and have tried different materials - the Primetones are my favorites by a long shot.

They are pricey however so I do have to exercise some effort to not leave them in pockets or in random spots around the house... also keep my son from pilfering them.

Not much fun from a TGP perspective, but picks have a dramatic impact on your tone, attack etc... doesn't get discussed much but it is the single most affordable way to experiment with your sound.

naveed211 likes this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Member

They’re not super cheap, but compared to some specialty picks they’re definitely not expensive either. About $1.50 a pick or so? The tonal improvement is totally worth that to me, at least.

I don’t pick especially hard, fast, or often, not trying to be the next Paul Gilbert. I do legato way too much. So my picks probably don’t wear out as quickly as some guys.

11. el34power

el34power Member

I have been using the Tusq .68 for a while now. Sharp with solid attack..How would the Dunlops compare?

12. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

I love this pick and wish they made more picks in this Small Tri size.
    Do you know of any other triangle picks in this smaller size? The normal Triangle like the Tortex Triangles are way too big for me.

13. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

To my knowledge, the Primetone small triangles are the first picks that Dunlop has made that size... but I agree - to me it's perfect!

Turnipfarmer likes this.
  14. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

I love em. The difference in tone is really noticeable on acoustic of course, but I use em for electric and even bass since I use a pretty thick jazz 3 xl. Nice grip, sounds great, feels great, not so expensive that losing one is a disaster.

naveed211 and fretless like this.
  15. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Everytime I try something different I end up back with my V-Picks.
    1980, Mummy or Freakishly large rounded.

I was a tortex guy for a long time though.

Drew66 likes this.
  16. Drew66

Drew66 Member

I like the 207’s and the Andy James picks, I think they are just a little bit bigger than the 205’s (which I like too). I’m digging the delrin 500 prime grips as well when I want a thinner pick, I have a couple in .71 that get a fair amount of use.

ddog likes this.
  17. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

I keep them in a container on my desk but I sort of lucked out. My 2 year old likes to return any stray pick to the cup.

Unfortunately if I set down the pick I'm using it gets immediately returned, and occasionally one gets snatched from my hand while playing and deposited too.

Juan Tuthri likes this.
  18. megawzrd

megawzrd Member

To each his own...went back to standard ultex after thinking primetone grips would be the end all. I like the (grip) feel of the PTs but they sound darker/muffled compared to standard ultex. They are pretty pricey picks as well.

19. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

I got a set of the regulars and a set of the grippy ones, both in medium. Love them. Will purchase again.

fretless likes this.
  20. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

These are GREAT picks. However, for guys that play a bit hard on them like me, they chew up like yesterday’s newspaper. I was using the 0.96 model with the raised grips.

I ended up switching to the Dunlop picks that the guy from Meshuggah uses. They also have the grip but last a much longer time. Same 0.96 thickness.