In praise of Dunlop Primetone picks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by naveed211, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I tried a whole bunch of picks recently, for several months. Different shapes, materials, thickness, etc. Some lasted longer than others. In the end I went back to the D'Andrea .71mm 358 picks. Nothing works better for me.

jmp likes this.
  2. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

I recently tried the Primetones, but felt they lacked the clarity of the black Ultex 2.0. The primetone feels better, but I really like the sound of the Ultex.

3. el34power

el34power Member

A little update. Decided to try the Dunlop Ultex Sharp .73. Oh yeah! It's going to be those for a while.

4. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I just got finished with a month long pick experimentation project that I may post about. I tried the Primetone standards (no "grip") 351 shape in both .96 and 1.0mm thicknesses. I like them and will probably use them, but they were not my favorites. They are made from Ultex and I found that the material, in general, is a bit too hard and bright for my tastes and results in more pick noise than other materials such as celluloid, nylon and Delrin. I did find that the thicker 1.0mm versions were slightly warmer and less glassy sounding than the .96mm, so I preferred them.