in praise of el84s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by oscar100, May 1, 2008.

1. oscar100

oscar100 Member

after a lifetime of 6l6 and 6v6

ive suddenly discovered el84s

what a joy - the tone, compression and syropyness (?)

what do you all think?

2. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

they are indeed a beautiful contrast/ compliment to the 6v and 6l's- I love the shimmery mids from 84's.

some folks feel that in a band situation a 2xel84 is not enough w/ a heavy handed drummer- they just can not put out the low end the a 6l6 can and subsequently get buried.

but hey - that's why they invented mic's and P.A.'s and yelling at drummers rite?

Anyway- thousands of vox and Marshall users cant be wrong can they?

I miss my club royale!

3. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    I used Orange, Mesa and Fender before I got my Top Hat CR...I love the sound of the 84s....

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

The AC30 was the only EL84 amp I ever bonded with. But I do love that sound. Something special about that circuit methinks !

5. starjag

starjag Member

I love my Zinky Blue Velvet 25-watts and have a Winfield Cyclone on order. Great tone on those little bottles!

6. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

just got a BM ac30 and am completely blown away at the tone...clean and driven. this will be one long honeymoon.

after reading I have to agree that my VOS Jr. just sounds heavenly through the 84s and Alnicos.

7. darkarbiter7

darkarbiter7 Member

My only EL84 amp is a peavey classic.
    Nothing special of an amp, but the cranked tone of the clean channel, when the 84's start to overdrive, is nothing short of fantastic.
    I'm thinking of picking up an AC30 once my bank account recovers from my recent purchase of a chicago blues box roadhouse.

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Two favorite amps were EL-84 based amps,

Marshall Studio 15 and my current Marshall DSL401, just something about the EL-84 that other tubes don't have, but I will say the 6V6s in my Mesa Mark IV is a tone as well, let me sell the Vibralux, the Mesa sounded better, which amazes me.

9. LHanson

LHanson Member

Just entered the EL84 world, with- of all things- a Crate V32 combo. Truly an amazing sounding amp, the cleans are worth the price and the overdriven tone is very, very nice as well. It likes P90s best of all, HBs just fine, and Strat-style, eh, I haven't found the Strat tone just yet.

10. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

just loaded NOS EL84's in my buddies 1974x and it sounds absolutely dead on. killer marshall clean and dirties up so nicely when prompted

11. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

I've got a Lil Dawg 18 watt clone that the builder Jim calls "The Pug".

For the built chassis and tubes it was around $475.00!
    Built like an amp that cost 3 x the price.:crazy

This thing is a killer. I've got a super reverb and a 25 watt 5E3(running 6L6's) of his.
    I love 6L6's but my el84 'Pug' is my go to amp for playing at home.
    Into a 2x12 with weber 1230's. It can get very loud, I haven't gigged with it yet, but that's not what I got it for. I use it mostly for recording.

I've got a 10in weber silver bell coming to build a 1x10 cab for recording.

Love the el84 tone.

- Don

12. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I like having both on tap. My Champ gives me clean and brilliant simplicity with one 6v6. My Winfield is a EL84 chimey assed brute (currently being modded). I've also really liked my Vox AC15 handwired head but I had issues with that one.
    Something about EL34's didn't work for me (Fargen miniplex).

13. soldano16

soldano16 Member

It's a tube with great tone. Needless to say, I love my 63 AC30. Desert island amp? That would be the one.

And my Soldano Atomic 16 is a total kick-ass amp that's a mini 1/2 stack in a small than a Deluxe Reverb package.

I did want to have a 6V6 amp and was thinking of using them on my Germino Classic 45 but the KT66's are so classic sounding, I'm leaving things that way.

No 6L6's in my life these days but I had decades of Fender Super Reverbs and Vibrolux Reverbs and Bassman's.

14. MartinC

MartinC Member

Yep. I just upgraded from a quad EL84 amp to another quad EL84 amps, after a long search that included amps of all tube types and numbers.

15. dickysofa

dickysofa Member

I giged with 2 Dr. Z Maz-Jr's for several years. EL84 goodness...

16. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

They sound phenominal combined with a pair or quad of 6L6's In my Road King. I dumped the EL34's for 'em. I'm using them with Yellowjackets, of course.
    Tonal bliss!

Tony

17. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Yeah pairing the el84 yellowjackets with a bigger tube does make for some complex sounds :AOK

I'm happy with the amp(s) I have now but I swear I'll get a Maz38 again someday. I had two at the same time for a while one definitely sounded better than the other. Something about quads of 84's that I prefer over pairs..YMMV