In praise of Matchless amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Jan 25, 2015.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I recently bought a used Matchless HC30 reverb head. It was one of the early ones and the seller suggested I consider sending it to Phil if I wanted to ensure it was up to spec. I almost decided not to do it, but thought it would be worth the delay to ensure everything was good to go.

I could not be happier. Phil not only checked everything out, but changed out the faceplate and the rear panel to the newest version, installed a light that indicates the channel being used and checked out the internals to ensure they were up to the latest specs. The bill he charged me for this work was laughably small. What a fantastic surprise!

I love dealing with builders like Phil. I have had similar experiences with Greg Germino, Jeff @ Savage, Chris @ K-Line, Don Grosh and company and the Swart crew. Playing guitar is a hobby for me. I absolutely love to play. I am so grateful that there are a good number of truly exceptional companies who do sincerely care about their customers and treat them extremely well. I am not a rock star, but they treat me like one!

2. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

Welcome to the club!

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.

4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Cool. Not too loud?

5. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

We'll see! I heard about the mythical sonic footprint of the DC/HC30 and it is indeed true. It is LARGE, but sounds glorious.

6. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Great story! Phil has been nothing but generous with his time answering all of my questions. We are on a break right now after our first set at church and I absolutely love the way my HC30 sounds and I feel very fortunate to have it and an amp closet where I can crank it up. :bow

7. roadtonowhere

roadtonowhere Member

I agree. Phil's been very generous with his time answering questions for me. Still loving my Spitfire! It's the amp I've owned the longest.

8. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

yup,
    they went over a Lightning (somebody'd altered tone resistors) and repaired a Hotbox for me. Really low charges. Shipping's the worst part.

I replaced the fuse holder ass'y on my Spitfire with a M.-supplied replacement It was tough to maintain the soldering style/quality as originally installed