In Praise of RYRA (Rock Your Repaired Amp)!

Desert Blues

Just because you don't care for something doesn't mean it sucks. Just because I like it doesn't mean it's great. These are opinions. Preferences. I've played some real Klons and the RYRA sounds very close enough to me. I understand it might not be exactly the same. Not that big a deal to me. Nothing mystical. To me, Klons -n- Klones are a tool to tweak your amp. I use it in different ways in different situations and the simple 3 controls offer a wide range impact depending on how the amp and the way the amp is dialed in. If I only bring one pedal it's the RYRA. I don't don't doubt that it sucks for you in your situation though. I dig your videos and respect your knowledge.

Thanks bro for checking the videos - yeah I just am honest about stuff I dont like - I dont mean it like Im insulting someones mother - just a piece of guitar gear thats not working for me but I maybe have a different touch - I use 11s or 12s and so maybe thats why the piece of gear just dosnt work in my situation. Its a high quality unit and the guy obviously puts a lot of effort into the build so kudos to him for that and also - That Pedal Show and Andertons both seem to love the pedal and say its the closest - so its my opinion against these youtubers - so Im not saying people should necessarily listen to me but Im straight up telling you my experience after using them for a few years now.

thanks and hopefully Ive not offended anyone!

TelePrankster

Like I said, I don't have a RYRA but always used Klons to add that "something" to my amps. It works good with some amps, it doesn't work at all with others in my experience.
As a standalone overdrive, the only one I liked (and kept) is the Bondi Sick As.

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
It still remains, the RYRA, one of my favourite pedals ever...

sNK6gCt.jpg

Buck Woodson

I just picked mine up from Austin Guitar House. Glad I did because I got to see them all up close and personal, except for the gold one which I had eliminated anyway because I also have a gold MO on the way and I wanted something different.

I was torn between black cherry and seafoam green as they are both beautiful. Both look very different from pictures. The black cherry is sparkle purple metallic and the seafoam green has silver metallic sparkle. I chose the seafoam green as I have nothing like it, it looks better with the centaur graphic colors, it's easier to read and I think it just looks best of all of them.

I'm learning to like pedals more, even with amps that have dirt. This RYRA Klone works so damn nicely with my Vox AC30! Now mind you the Vox doesn't need it but these Klon Centaur copies are great for nuanced tones and walking the breakup tightrope. And it's really a boost as well as an OD pedal so you get 2 for 1. They make a dirty amp more of what it already is, same for guitar, same for player. I wouldn't expect it to make a mediocre amp sound great but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm not much of a single coil guy (except for p90s) but I would consider a klon klone mandatory with a strat or tele regardless of amp.

Last edited:

nater9

Since these have been out a while, and so have the Archers... has anyone compared the two? Archer vs. Ryra Klone?

I've had an Archer for a few years now and I've had a love hate with it. It's the only Klon(e) type I've ever played, so I'm curious to try another one just to see if I like it better than the Archer, or maybe I'm just not a Klone guy to begin with. I'm playing a tele into Princeton Reverb.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Since these have been out a while, and so have the Archers... has anyone compared the two? Archer vs. Ryra Klone?

I've had an Archer for a few years now and I've had a love hate with it. It's the only Klon(e) type I've ever played, so I'm curious to try another one just to see if I like it better than the Archer, or maybe I'm just not a Klone guy to begin with. I'm playing a tele into Princeton Reverb.

I a/b’d an Archer and RYRA at Matt’s Music a year or so ago. The RYRA came home with me and has been on my board pretty much ever since.

nater9

I a/b’d an Archer and RYRA at Matt’s Music a year or so ago. The RYRA came home with me and has been on my board pretty much ever since.

Cool. What was the main difference that you could tell? I think I would prefer the Archer if there wasn't such a nasal-ness to the EQ. Again, until I try another Klone, I really don't know if that's how it's supposed to sound? Or if the Archer is just more pronounced that way?

It’s taken me a few years of going back and forth between the centura, mo vsmo, and ryra. I’ve heard 3 good demos now that tell me the ryra is for me. Pete thorn’s sounds great.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Cool. What was the main difference that you could tell? I think I would prefer the Archer if there wasn't such a nasal-ness to the EQ. Again, until I try another Klone, I really don't know if that's how it's supposed to sound? Or if the Archer is just more pronounced that way?

This was awhile back so it’s hard for me to pinpoint the subtle differences. It was definitely just something where you connect with one over another.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
It’s taken me a few years of going back and forth between the centura, mo vsmo, and ryra. I’ve heard 3 good demos now that tell me the ryra is for me. Pete thorn’s sounds great.
Centura is closest to a real Klon IMO but the RYRA is also damn close & is of course more compact. Both are closer than the Archers.

nater9

RYRA Klone inbound....

This was awhile back so it’s hard for me to pinpoint the subtle differences. It was definitely just something where you connect with one over another.

Fair enough... that's all you need sometimes...

I'll be able to do my own comparison, hopefully tomorrow night.

Dannyz

Scored one of these in silver sparkle/oxblood knobs/Blue graphics. Gotta try it with my 50w Plexi. Any recommended setting? The pedal is not here yet, it will be on monday.

PS: also, it will be my first "real" Klon clone lol.

LordThurisaz

Scored one of these in silver sparkle/oxblood knobs/Blue graphics. Gotta try it with my 50w Plexi. Any recommended setting? The pedal is not here yet, it will be on monday.

PS: also, it will be my first "real" Klon clone lol.
Experiment. It's 3 knobs, a guitar, and an amp.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
Anyone compared the Ryra with the gold J Rockett Ikon? Which one is more Klone-ish?
I’ve not compared side by side but I’ve had both Rockett Klones and the RYRA and I felt that the RYRA was clearly closer to the Silver Klon I owned for 6 or 7 years. Maybe the Centura that I now have is a smidge closer again by memory perception but once again I haven’t directiy compared them.

Ben W

I got one back in Dec. # 279. I have a Gold Horsey KLON that I bought in '97 for $350. It's gotten so expensive I don't want to take it to clubs anymore. We often play multiple days in the same club and leave our stuff. It's a pain taking the KLON of off the board. Anyway, I have tried several different klones in an effort to replace it. None really work that well for me. The Mythical OD came pretty close but not enough clean headroom. It did find a permanent place on my board as a light/medium OD, fantastic in that regard. I've actually played a couple of thousand gigs with the KLON in the 17 yrs since I got it, it's never been off of my board until Dec. so I'm pretty familiar with what it does for me in my rig and the sound I'm going for. It's an always on pedal. I played a long weekend with both side by side on my board and to my ears there's no difference except size and the RYRA has a little more headroom. If your lookin' for the KLON experience but don't have the money or you're just not willing to pay that much, (no, they're not worth what they go for now) this is the one. A lot of the others do KLON like along with other things such as switchable diodes etc.... The RYRA doesn't do anything except KLON, and it does it better than all the others I've tried. I haven't tried them all but now I have no desire to. Best part is I paid $169. although I think the price is up to $180 now. I got to pick the color, I went with gold and the oxblood knobs 'cause I'm so used to looking down and seeing my KLON but the available color selection is varied and pretty darn cool. I bought my direct fm Shane and he was super easy to deal with. If you want KLON, this is your pedal.
Thank you for this post. Very helpful. I ordered one earlier today, and am now in a "looking for validation" phase. ;-)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom