In praise of the EB/MM Bongo!

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Deaj, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

I've been struggling to practice regularly these days. I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis last year and we're still experimenting with medication to find relief from the symptoms - joint pain. I enjoy the time I do play in spite of the pain. I'm learning to play with a lighter touch and that's helping. Anyway, onto the subject of this post.

I've ad some idle time during the last few days and stuck at home so I spent some time playing along with a bunch of favorite albums and songs, learning new songs, and having fun. I had my two 4HH Bongo's on hand (one with roundwounds, one with flats) and an Ampeg B50-R Rocket Bass 1x12 practice combo. With the amps controls set to 12 o'clock and the basses EQs set flat I stared off with some Beatles and ended up playing songs from many artists and genres (selected several entire genres and set the media player to shuffle playback mode). I'm very comfortable with the Bongo's controls and find it very easy to make quick adjustments and dial in just what I'm looking for. As each song began I'd pause to change basses if I wanted to change string type, adjust the pickup blend, and make and EQ adjustments to match up with the tone of the recorded bass track. I spent almost no time at all doing this, just a quick effort to blend with the audio. The results were consistent song after song - tones and textures well matched to the recorded track. Not necessarily important for practice but it did make the time that much more enjoyable. I learned new songs, a few new techniques, had a blast, and was reminded yet again that there is nothing the Bongo can't cover. Volume / punch is consistent and balanced string to string, string tension is perfect, very dynamic / responds well to a wide variation in playing technique, near limitless sonic flexibility, and exceptionally comfortable to play - very important to me at this time given my current health condition.

The Bongo records wonderfully especially when plugged straight into the board - simple and easy to get great sounding tracks. It's also the best bass I've ever gigged - cuts through nicely, speaks with authority, and there's so much control on board. The controls seem very intuitive to me - on the fly adjustments are easy to make, no endless tweaking, no fumbling.

Thanks EB/MM for the perfect electric bass! [​IMG] My Bongo's are the only stringed instruments I own that remain completely stock (well, except for the addition of straplocks - no mods affecting tone or playability) and I can state with confidence that they'll remain stock. There's no room for improvement IMO. Thanks again!!

Bongo's are te only basses that I'll play anymore. All others have been sold and I don't miss any of them. Now if could just find a way to convince my lovely wife that I NEED a few more Bongo's: a 5HH, a 4H, a 4HS, and a fretless 4HH.

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass Member

Awesome - got any sound samples?

Oh and

:worthless

Just thought I'd put that up too!

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

Unfortunately I don't have any audio to post. Here's a pic though...

[​IMG]

4. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass Member

Nice basses man. I was thinking about picking up one from GC in Tacoma or BassNW...but I'm overstocked right now. Maybe in a few years, after the economy isn't so...fecal. Also, I'm not sure if I'll do a 4, 5, or 6 string - this self imposed timeline will give me a chance to make up my mind!