In Praise of the Fuzz Factory

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hofnarr, Mar 20, 2020.

1. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I’ve had a few including a Reverse Fat Fuzz Factory, but my favorite is the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Fuzz Factory 7. Only 11 of these were made. I’m so lucky to have snagged one.

It sounds.... otherworldly. :D

[​IMG]

2. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I wanted one of these so bad, ugh!

your name here likes this.
  3. pyna

pyna Member

it's so good

fat fuzz factory is even gooder

fuzz factory 7 is even extra more so good

and yeah, some of the custom FF7s are amazing. the astronaut is fantastic. this one was on reverb a few days ago and haunted my dreams until it sold thank god
    [​IMG]
    and then when i look at sold listings to find a picture of it i see this one :love:
    [​IMG]

4. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

As near as I can tell, it's impossible to take a picture that captures it in all its glory, but I keep trying.

Hofnarr likes this.
  5. your name here

Yeah, it’s just not possible. Lol

That was the best I could do before I got frustrated and gave up.

6. cbm

The one that was on the ZVex site was pretty good, but I was still surprised how much better it looked in person. Yours is a little better than mine, but still nowhere as good as real life.

your name here likes this.
  7. zhivago

zhivago Member

I think this is my 5th FF...absolutely love it. I've been a bit obsessed with Zvex pedals over the past 20 years and have owned probably about 30 of them...some incredibly rare ones too. :)

Born August of 2000:

[​IMG]

Windup 43, sahhas, Hofnarr and 2 others like this.
  8. p.j.

p.j. Member

mulekicker, sahhas and Hofnarr like this.
  9. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Love the FF, have a really crazy older one, red sparkle Myrold painted and it’s off the chain crazy. Really been wanting to try the FF7.

10. jgyn

jgyn Member

Have a number of these. MFF (my favorite fuzz.)

tapeup and Hofnarr like this.
  11. TheSpricket

TheSpricket Member

It's one of the best fuzzes ever! Most accurately named pedal. Once you finally understand the controls it does feel like you can really manufacture any fuzz sound. Many people try these and get rid of them because they're just so hard to control.

I played in a surf band with a guy who was a great performer but really didn't know how to use gear. He loved his FF but never took the time to learn how to use it. So many gigs I remember him setting it arbitrarily then turning it on for a solo, releasing the most obnoxious cacophony of sound. Then he'd forget he left it on and try to play the rest of the song, big open chords, it it just sounded dreadful.

So I always had a dislike for it. Until one day in my store I heard a guy getting the sickest octave fuzz sound and I looked over and he was using a Fuzz Factory.

So I learned how to keep the stab knob turned up all the way to avoid unruliness. I keep the gain basically all the way down. And the shining stars of the FF are the Gate and Comp knobs. Just using those two, sometimes adding more gain, I feel like any fuzz tone I'd want to create is going to be right there.

That and a Big Muff and I'm alllll fuzzed up.

Tbone135, WWW, Hofnarr and 1 other person like this.
  12. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

The exploration continues. Had a pretty wild time earlier today doing a simple non-Euclidian crumbling quantum foam finger-style arrangement of "Scarborough Fair". (Strange choice? Maybe. It seemed right at the time).

Fuzz Factory into filter or EQ with parametric mids is superb! (Using the CB Condor for this). The other way 'round doesn't work quite as well (FF kind of just eats up and neutralizes whatever you throw into it).

All this talk of the FF7 has caught my attention, god help me. I'd never really looked at it before now, but ... 9-way rotary switch for different degress of fatness, and a tone control? Nice, but so expensive.

Pretty recently there was a thread about collaborations that people would like to see Chase Bliss engage in, and several people mentioned a CB/Zvex Fuzz Factory. Now that would be something! Throw in the Condor circuit and you'd have a really powerful and sublime tool of tonal degradation/inspiration.

All right, I'm going to check the lock on my bunker door, and then ... back to it.

13. cbm

It's absolutely overpriced, at least from an added hardware over something like a Fat Fuzz Factory P.O.V.

That said, there's nothing quite like it and I'm really glad I bought one.

Hofnarr and WWW like this.
  14. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Do you find that the 9 "fat" positions offer substantially distinct tonal differences?

15. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

Yes, the FF7 is pricey. I got mine new for $330.00 and it’s worth every penny. I love the 9-way rotary knob for making it way more versatile than the standard FF or FFF, by miles.
    [​IMG]

I also have the Fuzz Probe, 1 of 1 Pink Sparkle.
    [​IMG]

And last but not least is an X23 Fuzz Factory clone that has 7 knobs, but is not like a FF7. It does have a Tone knob, but the other knob is a Pre Gain. It bridges the gap nicely between the FFF and FF7 to a degree.
    [​IMG]

ZepFuzz05, sahhas, JJ321 and 3 others like this.
  16. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

The ‘98 Reverse is awe inspiring, it just has a fatness about it that’s unmatched by any other that I’ve owned...and thanks, The Cramps! :D

whateverdude likes this.
  17. Windup 43

I missed the initial release somehow, I’ll find one of these someday! Too cool!

18. your name here

I’ve been kinda keeping an eye out and have never seen one pop up used. I’m kinda curious how much one would go for. Probably not much more than retail, as FF7’s tend to be slow sellers anyway due to their high price, but you never know.

Windup 43 likes this.
  19. Windup 43

I’ve seen some very nice FF7’s go at relatively cheap prices lately, I was contemplating the floral one @pyna posted above...but yeah, would love to find an Apollo eventually at a decent price.

20. whateverdude

whateverdude Silver Supporting Member

That Apollo FF7 is smoking hot, I foresee a FF7 in my future before this years over with.

fishleehooker and Windup 43 like this.