In Praise of the Inexpensive Fender MiM Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paulvcarter, Jun 3, 2019.

1. scott123

scott123 Member

I've got 3 MIM, a lake placid blue tele, sonic blue HH strat, and a traditional strat thats disassembled at the moment. Im perfectly happy with them.

2. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Does anyone have a lighter weight MIM Standard Stratocaster?. I have an Oly White Wayne's World II model that has an old set of Duncans on it (SSL-1 in N/M, bridge is SSL-5), my only criticisms are the "modern C" profile neck, which is a bit too thin for my tastes, and it is kind of heavy. Most of the ones I've checked out were heavy like mine, I just wondered if there are lighter ones out there?. I'd like to change out the neck one of these days to one with a rounder profile (something close to the '63 Strat I grew up playing), if I can find a Fender neck that has that profile and isn't too expensive.
    Al

3. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

The classic series 60s has that, but it’s vintage spec 7.25 radius. Sub 300$ all the time.

4. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

I have a Classic Player 60s Strat, and I liked it so much I got rid of an American Standard.

shadow mask likes this.
  5. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I've got one. Love it. The whammy stays in tune. Maybe I like it more than the last one I had which was a 70s one, though that was nice too. I think it's an 02. I did change the pickups.

6. Zakkary123

Zakkary123 Member

I just got a MiM Deluxe Roadhouse Strat in Olympic White. Vintage noiseless pickups. Absolutely perfect guitar. I was inspired to get it because of how happy I was with my Baja 50s Tele and was not disappointed. Incredible what you get for the money at this price point.

Matt L likes this.
  7. dazco

dazco Member

Not a big fan of MIM standards, But i AM a big fan of the classic series.

8. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

here is me from the weekend playing a Leftie MIM strat:
    [​IMG]
    it was actually a pretty nice guitar....i debated buying it and turning it into my Joe Perry lefty played righty guitar ..... here i'm doing my best to play like Albert King and failing...

rauchman likes this.
  9. Keith Kline

Keith Kline Member

I wholeheartedly agree. I just bought a mint condition MIM standard for dirt cheap. After I set it up, it plays wonderfully. As an intermediate player, I struggle to tell the difference between this and a couple of American strats I've played in the store. With some upgraded pups this thing is going to be awesome! ...and all for less than half of what I'd have paid for a new American Performer with stock pups.

10. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The gap between the MIM and MIA has never been more narrow. The Player's Series are killer.

11. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I love the Deluxe series MIMs....great specs and hardware. Love the 12” radius necks.

b80, NiteGoat and doublescale1 like this.
  12. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    I got a special edition opal white MIM Strat with a matching headstock new on Reverb last year when some ship had one left over and they accepted my lowball offer. I'm more of a Tele and Les Paul guy, but I wanted a cheaper Strat because I wanted another single coil guitar for playing with fuzzes that wasn't as bright as a Tele. Wound up installing Lace Sensors and I love it. Killer guitar for sure.

b80 likes this.
  13. coyoteaz

coyoteaz Member

I just picked up this Baja Tele yesterday and I'll be damn'd if it doesn't hang with my Les Paul R8. Not saying I would give up my Les Paul for it, but for less them 1K it kicks ass!

[​IMG]

14. DHart

DHart Member

I will chime in also... having a number of MIM Teles... all I can say is that these are AWESOME guitars.

I usually swap in some fine quality pickups like Cavaliers and Bootstraps, perhaps a change of pots, but I have no qualms whatsoever about MIM Teles, and making mods to them to bring them to your idea of "perfection".

Here's just one of the many that I have. It started out as a Fender Player HH, which I have converted to SS. Bootstrap Pretzel neck pickup and Fender CS Fat '50s Strat bridge pickup - yeah, it sounds incredible!

[​IMG]

porrohman and b80 like this.
  15. NiteGoat

NiteGoat Member

I love both of my MIM Strats, and my MIM Tele.

2015 Classic Series 60s:
    [​IMG]

2012 Deluxe Player's:
    [​IMG]

2013 FSR Satin Series:
    [​IMG]

b80 likes this.
  16. +NRG

+NRG Member

When I first looked at the pic, I thought the Tele (body) was holding up the amp! B)

17. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I've had a couple of MIM Strats, including a Player. The Player in particular was, well, a player. But for me there are two fatal flaws with MIMs: 42 mm nut and not having jumbo frets. Those aspects mean I can't have a MIM as a #1.

18. b80

b80 Member

Digging the finish on that Deluxe Player! I have never been into gold hardware, but that one looks amazing. Love my Transparent Crimson Deluxe Players Strat.

jordans0nly likes this.
  19. b80

b80 Member

Same. 12" radius is more comfortable, for me.

20. lost sailor

lost sailor Member

I have 3 MIM's and 2 (stock) MIAs
    None of the MIMs have the original pups in them.....my '92 (played upside down) has an American vintage '57 in the neck, and two Humbuckers in the
    middle and bridge.....The '00 (also upside down) has 3 dual rails in it and the '12 (lefty) has a right hand American Pro in the neck, and dual rails in the middle and bridge.....all have full sized trem blocks and CTS full size pots. I found a HHS config really works well for my sound.