In praise of the Keeley BD-2 phat mod - my review and how it stack up

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Mar 5, 2008.

1. TimH

TimH Member

well got it after having wondered about it for eons. I had a stock BD2 which I always liked and got rid of it in one of my rig overhauls of days gone by. Let me tell you, with regards to working in tandem with a vintage Fender I have not played one pedal that is as transparent and similar to the natural feel and drive of the amp as the BD2 is! With the Phat mod engaged the bass response is identical to the amp which no pedal (TIM, Timmy, OCD, Klon etc etc) has been able to do. And the pedal just feels right. Most recently I gigged with an OCD and BB preamp both set for just a slight push on the amp. The OCD was the clear winner here and felt the most amp like and sounded most like the amp would if it was driven a bit harder. The BD2 is even better and as a lead pedal is way beyond the OCD with regards to tone and feel on single notes...way better feeling and fatter as well.

Let me re-itterate, in recent history I've had a Klon, TIM, Timmy, Zendrive 1 and 2, OCD, FDII Mosfet and perhaps others I can't remember but the BD2 is instantly my favorite with this amp. Don't let the price deceive you...try one if you're looking for an OD to push your vintage Fender or Fender-esque amp. It's the balls! To me the biggest winning point is there is truly no loss of bass as far as my ears can tell. The other frequencies stay in tact...transparency is the name of the game with this pedal.

Now I know some might question the honeymoon phase but I've been through enough pedals to know when I've found the winner. I've had every cool pedal on this board with the exception of BJFE which I'm not going to even bother. The BD2 is a winner for me and so much so that I might get a second one...I like both the cleanish boost tone and the drive tone A LOT!

2. jacstraw84

jacstraw84 Member

Sounds great man. I've been thinking about getting one of these as well. I've got a keeley flexi 4x2 and mod plus and love them both. Is the keeley bd-2 much different than the tube screamers? Worth getting if I already own a tube screamer?

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Tim - good to hear.
    Is it in your opinion good into a clean amp - not just pushing an amp on the verge?

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

It is great into a clean amp. It can actually be made to SOUND like it's your amp beginning to break up. It is nothing like a screamer. In fact, they compliment each other extrememly well. You could go on tour with these as your only two sources of drive into a clean amp.

5. TimH

TimH Member

yup I agree...I first tried it into the Bandmaster on 5 and then again on 2.5-3...both sound awesome! I also agree...a great compliment to a TS type pedal...my FDII Mosfet works awesome with it.

6. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I can't argue with that assessment. I had one for a while along with a Keeley Rat. I traded both my keeleys and a dynacomp I had to get the money for my EGDM which is perfect for my little Orange... but the Keeley BD2 was a great pedal and I've missed the Rat since too. I've always liked BD2's because I think they pretty much impart goodness no matter what kind of amp they are infront of. If you don't go too crazy on the gain.... it's awesome.

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I used one for a couple of years and loved it. When I got into more boutique od's, I sold it off and I've been thinking of giving it another try. The only thing I remember not liking was the fizzy decay of sustaining notes and chords. Not horrible, but I ended up selling it when I got my Tim.
    I think I'm going to have to give it another go. It is a great pedal with the mod.

8. gearboy

gearboy Member

I think the Keeley BD-2 Phat is dependent upon amp, music style, etc. I owned it and thought if I was a Strat player with a Fender amp, it would be a great pedal especially for solos. I play humbuckers, harder music through high gain heads, and didn't think the pedal was for me. However, as I just noted in another post, CMATMODS H20 mod on the BD-2 fits the bill for me. Can be a great clean boost to tighten up the amp, or push a crunchy channel into hard rock / metal land. Very happy with this little monster.

9. dancehall

dancehall Member

I don't have as much experience with all those boutique pedals so I can't make comparisons, but the Keeley BD-2 is definitely a great pedal. So, so transparent... my desert island effects pedal.

10. gregory49

gregory49 Member

you need to try a honey bee :)

11. TimH

TimH Member

I've heard it and albeit it sounds great, I can't imagine it sounds SO MUCH better to justify the insane price it sells for. Just my .02 everyone else's MMV.

12. matthet

matthet Member

I'm a proud owner of a Keeley BD-2 and Keeley TS, man, those two pedals together with the gains and tones tweaked gives some AWESOME tone! I agree the BD-2 is VERY transparent, sounds just like my Deville is being pushed, only better cause it isn't muddy.on average i use the BD-2 more than the tube screamer. i run the BD-2 into the tube screamer and us the TS for solo boosts and it sounds great!
    enjoy the pedal man, i'm always finding a new sweet spot on it everytime i play it!

13. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Keeley BD-2 didn't work for me. Love my Indyguitarist BSM BD-2 though :)

14. bestegw

bestegw Member

Love my Keeley modded BD-2 as well. Been off my board for a while and I've lent it to a friend. Now he loves it so much, he won't give it back!!!

15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Oh, I think the Honey Bee is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my price league for a single stomp pedal. You could get a King of Tone AND a Timmy for the price of one of those. . . except you'd have three pedals. . .
    However, the Keeley BD2 was what held me over until I got my Timmys. They are most certainly different, but they sound similar in the early-break-up department. I just brought the KBD2 back on board, as I am lending my second Timmy to someone to hold them over until they can get their own. Sometimes I put this down as my desert-island pedal simply because it covers so much ground. . . . .

16. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

I won't be without a Keeley or Indy blues driver. They really are that flexible and transparent. It stacks well with the Keeley 4x2 Flexi I had too. I sold the Flexi, now I want it back.

Other of my pedals get more attention in the looks department (effectrode tube-vibe, for example), but I have more guitarists come and ask what pedal that's coming from when it's the blues driver hands down.

The only negative I've encounterd is it not stacking too well with some of my other non-buffered pedals, like my Plextortion. I was hoping to use it as a boost for the Plex, but no...

17. max_1975

max_1975 Member

I have a trick (at least It works very well for me...): set your BD2 with gain at minimum, tone at 10.30 and level for unity gain and then stack it after a decent fuzz (I use this configuration with the PinkFlesh and the TopFuel)...the results are amazing!!!

18. Slideman

Slideman Member

I do the same thing but using an overdrive (either a TS or an SD-1) goosing the BD -- the results are really good...notes sing with clarity.

19. TimH

TimH Member

Awesome! I've got a Britbender coming from MJM and was hoping this would be true of the BD2 or the FDII.

20. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

One of my favorite Keeley mods is the BD-2: with gain at 2:00, tone ~10:00 and a humbucker guitar I can get nice Warren Haynes tones.