In praise of The Police.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
Definitely dug them. Definitely there were filler tracks. Doesn't mean the albums weren't solid! I think I like the mood of Ghost In The Machine best. Quite dark.

gem

When RdB came out it blew my mind, not having headphones I would lay on the floor with my head between two speakers rip a fatty and drift in to that amazing musical atmosphere. They have always been a favorite.

As I mentioned earlier, I will def take some of the filler over some of the hits.

While I don't mind Every Little Thng.... at all, I like Omegaman and some of the other non single tracks more.

I don't like Every Breath You Take very much, would rather listen to Mother. On the other hand, Synchronicity II is great and kind of one of the weirder songs to have ever been a hit for a major band.

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Gold Supporting Member
That clip was great. They are great. You are great for posting it. That is all.

mid-city tim

Love, love, love The Police!

I initially dismissed them as a punk band but a squadron mate of mine insisted I listen to the drums, as he was always bragging on them. I did and have been a fan since.

Does anyone know how The Ghost In The Machine came about?

I met them at the Conspiracy of Hope re-union.

Sting = Prick (SC's words, not mine)
Andy = Weirdo, picked his nose the whole time.
Stewart = Cool Dude, apologized for Sting and hung out with us watching Peter Gabriel's set.

As a band, I can take them or leave them.

Recon

Drums became my first instrument because of Stewart. Listening to his attack and melody (yes, great drummers play with melody) when I was 12 left a tattoo burned in my brain. "Re-humanize Yourself" The fluid one hand high hat speed he has going there is something that I always refer to when I have a show to play. Better get on up! Andy's clean, spacious guitar voice. Before I played guitar when i listen to the police i would think to myself that they must of hired a keyboard player and wondered if it pissed off Andy. Like "Behind my Camel" That guitar sound seems decades ahead of its time.

Hah, I knew it was going to be that video before I clicked the thread! What a great performance.

What's really impressive to me about The Police is how fresh they sound over thirty years later, their first album sounds like a blueprint for pop punk and alternative rock. I love how they broke away from blue-based rock while maintaining a more ambitious scope than your average punk band.

Omegaman is my fave.

AaeCee

Supporting Member
One of the few perfect bands IMO
Yup. They were one of the very few whose new releases I'd automatically buy as soon as they came out, without waiting to hear any cuts or reviews. Among the all time greats.

Route234

Great band. Regatta is my favourite album from their catalogue.

I can't believe that Sting got sole songwriting credit for almost all of their music. The other 2 contributed a lot to the songs.
And pretty early on they butted heads over it and Sting gave them more royalties and they were happy enough to do like 2 more albums till Sting bolted. Sting was always the primary song writer which is obvious by the output by the 3 of them since they broke up. Only Sting has made any kind of music that is even close to what the Police made. No question Sting was the primary song writer for the group. Not saying the other guys didnt provide valuable input as evidenced by the weakness of a lot of Stings solo work (a lot of it is very good IMO though), but Sting was the epicenter of the band no question. Copeland should get a lot of credit, which I think Stings autobiography attests to, for pushing Sting to give up prog rock and to bring some punk and some harder edges to his style of music.

whackystrings

Reggatta de Blanc and Zenyatta Mondatta - quite simply the best inspiration for owning an Electric Mistress. :aok

I have Message In A Box and there are some tracks that get skipped. Not every track is "essential listening" IMHO.
Spirits In The Material World has remained as one of my top ten songs of all time since it was released. Crank that up!!
The "crack" of Copeland's snare is a hallmark of their sound. Love it.
Saw them 2x when they started their 2007 tour here in Vancouver. That was necessary.

45RPM

Watching MITB on the Synchronicity video catch Copland @ 15 seconds in send a drum stick flying over his left shoulder off the rebound of his ride tom. Doesn't miss a lick as he keeps knocking off the fills while the kick drum drives the tune forward. How much time do you have to put into getting your chops together to be able to do stuff like that on the fly while playing with such intensity and precision?

Not to knock the rest of the boys. Pure talent.

Jube2550

Great band indeed. There is so much more hitting the inner ear, having bought all the albums on vinyl, and after doing the outer ear or casual listening to the "hits" on the radio. Went to Synchronicity Live show where it was recorded over a sold out two night performance in November 1983 (I guess it was close enough to October:)) for $11, still have the tix stub, tour book, and baseball jersey shirt. I watched the VHS concert release many years later. I was astonished at how nuanced and effortless Andy's notes riffing around the melody was (VH also did it two weeks ago just in a different style of playing).

I had never seen this until a fellow TGPr posted in a few years back...Andy's raw but emotive solo, rarer on the later albums, had me astonished all over again. A few hundred folks, a young Sting in fine vocal form, and SC ...what a treat those folks got but didn't probably know..

I still love noodling Synchronicity II's, BOTN, and Miss Gradenko's finger picked guitar parts.

TubeStack

Supporting Member
I love 'em, too. :beer

I bought the Message In A Box set in university, and I swear, I didn't listen to anything else for five months, no exaggeration. I'm a bit obsessive that way. :D

I had a Sony Discman and went all around the campus with one of those four discs constantly playing, at all times, everywhere I went.

Now I have it all on vinyl and it sounds incredible.

Love "Shadows In The Rain," especially.

GerryJ

I met them at the Conspiracy of Hope re-union.

Sting = Prick (SC's words, not mine)
Andy = Weirdo, picked his nose the whole time.
Stewart = Cool Dude, apologized for Sting and hung out with us watching Peter Gabriel's set.
True story from Jay Leno, which he told when I saw him on a stand-up tour between his big TV careers, probably late 90s.
He was beginning his run as a frequent guest host for Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show, so he brought down his parents from Boston, as a proud son, was giving them a tour of the NBC bldg in NYC.
His dad was this old, crusty Italian guy from Boston. They're on an elevator, and who walks on but Sting.
Leno is all buzzed, introduces him to his parents.
His dad: "Huh..? Stigmond?...Stingstein?"
Leno: No Dad, just Sting, his name is Sting.
Dad, peering directly at Sting: "What the Hell kinda name is that?!"

GAT

Gold Supporting Member
I love the Police, one of my all time favorite bands. I saw the Synchronicity tour in Northern California and it was absolutely magical. I was blown away that night.

Trending Topics