In praise of the Suhr Koko Boost Reloaded

dburns

Booster, always-on tone enhancer, low-gain overdrive...this thing does it all. I've had (and still have) a bunch of great overdrives and boosters (Timmy, Barbers, Wampler, J Rockett , Xotic EP, etc) but this is the one pedal that hasn't left my board for a few years now. Always delivers on the gig. Doesn't get much talk so I figured I'd "shout it out" after having another good night with it. Sounds awesome with my Carmen Ghia cooking.

Not even sure how I found out about it, don't remember, but I'm glad I did. Definitely recommend it for any gigging guitarist.

homeunit

Supporting Member
Thanks guys, I’m running a pretty gainy head, so I want to make sure it wasn’t totally over the top.

I've talked about the Koko quite often over the years. I use the reloaded.

It's wonderful as a versatile high voltage mid boost, and beats out any mid humped overdrive too, if your amp has good gain. This is just opinion. First time I turned mine on it was like the best overdrive, which was shocking as there is no onboard gain. This is the pedal for just kicking the crap out of your amp and having that turn out well.

Really kills with a 40w Dirty Shirley.

I have a lot of great pedals, but this one could be my only pedal other than a reverb. It's that good.

Basically, it is what a tube screamer wishes it was, times a hundred.

You just need an amp that responds well to being boosted. A good amp with some internal gain you can make happen.

zul

Silver Supporting Member
Not familiar with their boosts, but my Jack Rabbit is post drive before delay and I often use
it as a post clean boost when needed by just kicking the trem depth down. It is set up for a
slight boost since tremolo often has a perceived drop from unity for me live. The slight boost
is all I need sometimes when the horn section has more lungs than usual. Boost is full range.
Even when I don't kick the depth all the way down, it's sweet, since a little wiggle never hurts.

papersoul

Supporting Member
Hey guys!
I have the KOKO RELOADED as my current solo boost. Question, I have it on buffered bypass. You guys find a big difference?
Also, there is a little plastic black switch on the very top of the box. I think in the back it says off - fx -off? What is that? I don't notice a difference where I have that set.

jhumber

Also, there is a little plastic black switch on the very top of the box. I think in the back it says off - fx -off? What is that? I don't notice a difference where I have that set.
That determines whether the pedal powers up on or off, I believe, or whether it’s controlled by a remote switching unit.

papersoul

Supporting Member
That determines whether the pedal powers up on or off, I believe, or whether it’s controlled by a remote switching unit.
Oh right! Thank you! That's what that is. I couldn't find it in the manual. I keep it off.
I forget, but I think I have it on buffered too.