In praise of the venerable Fulldrive II...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rockapede, Feb 20, 2015.

1. rockapede

rockapede Supporting Member

It's the pedal I keep coming back to. I know, I know: it's just a TS (or is it an SD-1?), it's not cool anymore, Mike Fuller's a meanie, and it's not boutique enough because it's sold by major retailers....but it's the pedal I keep coming back to. Plenty of gain for anything I play plus a boost, awesome comp cut mode, Mosfet mode for sparkly, open grit....the list goes on. Other dirt pedals have come and gone (and will continue to) but I suspect I'll always have a Fulldrive. Am I crazy?

2. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

Not crazy at all. It's an excellent overdrive.

3. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

i like fulltones product line. his distortion pedals are well made, sound great, and are reasonably priced. not many boutique builders can claim that.

i owned a fulldrive 2 for a few months but that was during a period i didnt have a need for an sd1/ tubescreamer type drive. i also didnt like how the boost was implemented- not capable of being used independent of the drive channel.

id like to try it again sometime, especially now the fd3 is out. fd2s are readliy available for good prices.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

i've never had an issue with fulltone and i've been using his stuff since i started playing around with pedals. they're great pieces of gear. and i've always had and used a fulldrive over the years. that and the hot cake tend to be the ones i return to all the time. and quite honestly, there are pedals made by others i've used with equally great results, but the fulldrive is still one of my fave pedals for an overdriven signal.

i think the fd3 is excellent and i'll pick another up but i'm content with my non-mosfet one.

5. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

You might be crazy, but not because you love your FD2. I've had my FD2 for about 2 years now and it's the only pedal on my board that I never felt any need to replace. It just does the job and is very versatile. Some knock it because you can't use the boost independently but you sort of can.
    Leave the boost engaged and switch it on off with the left button - I use it to go from clean to mean like that all the time.
    I also have '69 MkII that I sometime like and sometimes don't (maybe it's a germanium thing) but it always sounds sweet and ballsy when boosted with the FD2, throw in a little delay and it's rock star bliss.
    There's so much discussoin in these pages about OD but I'm really content with my FD2.
    Now you wanna talk about fuzz or delay? I'm ready to try anything.:aok

6. rockapede

I can see how the boost would be an issue for some. For me, though, I never a) boost volume for solos or b) boost my amp. I run my amp clean, FD for dirt, and boost to add more dirt. I don't bother boosting solos because sure as shooting most guys boosting solos are getting cut at the board when the FOH guy doesn't like the volume jump. They just don't know it...then, when you turn off your solo boost, the FOH guy forgets to turn you back up. It's easier for me to dial in a tone that cuts and then forget about it.

7. gigs

gigs Member

Bought the FD II when it came out. Use it in Comp Cut mode only. It has never left my board and if it breaks I will replace it immediately. The best pedal I have ever played. Run it at 18v, of course.

8. rockapede

I've only recently switched over to 18v on my FDII and dunno why I waited so long. Awesome!