In Praise of Vintage Acoustics

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Tidewater Custom Shop, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

If you sold it to someone from Chicago, I might actually own it now. Picked up a '72 FG2000 in a pawnshop basically about 2ish years ago. It looked like it had sat somewhere for a long time. I have a '69 FG300 and a '72FG2000.

DBBlues and 84Bravo like this.
  2. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

I sold it in St Louis in 84. You never know.

DBBlues likes this.
  3. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

Any old pictures, or you happen to have the serial number anywhere? It has a pretty distinct backside.

DBBlues likes this.
  4. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

No pictures I can readily find. A friend inlaid a rose in MOP on the headstock, so that’s the defining feature. Everyone commented on the sound of that guitar.

DBBlues likes this.
  5. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

Whew, I'm in the clear. No rose on the headstock here.

DBBlues and 84Bravo like this.
  6. plexigary

plexigary Member

It hurts to post this pic, since I no longer own any of these three. But they are definitely among my favorite vintage acoustics ever.

[​IMG]

L-R:

1953 Martin D-18, with rare factory "shade top" finish. I bought this from the original owner, a nice lady named Alma who walked into a Baltimore music store in 1953 and asked for a Martin, since her brother in law told her they were the best. She walked out with this, played it for a few years, then put it in her basement.

1943 Gibson "Banner" J-45, with firestripe guard. An early J-45 with a lot of J-35 features. This one was included in the book “Kalamazoo Gals” about the WWII banner years at Gibson. This guitar was also used as the pattern for Gibson's "Legend" series J-45's.

1955 Gibson J-185. This was one of the finest acoustic guitars I've ever played. Absolutely kicking myself for selling it a few years ago.

Cheers!

DBBlues, WordMan, Mobass and 3 others like this.
  7. WordMan

WordMan Member

Oh, you’re killing me! Beautiful. Are you “plexi” on the UMGF? That person found my ‘46 J-45 in Michigan before it ended up in a shop. Given your obviously great access to wonderful Gibson’s I thought I’d ask ;)

DBBlues and plexigary like this.
  8. vintagejunky

vintagejunky Member

1921 Gibson L1

1976 Mossman Golden Era

1980 D W Stevens

DBBlues likes this.
  9. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

I have a few nice old acoustics, but this one is my favorite. I just love the tone of an old Hummingbird...this one is from 1964 and sounds absolutely incredible. I had it re-fretted so it plays great too....probably better than it did when it was new.

[​IMG]

DBBlues, zacmac, Phila67 and 3 others like this.
  10. dhodgeh

dhodgeh Silver Supporting Member

As seen in a previous thread: My 1947 D-18

[​IMG]

I don't normally like a 11/16th width nut, but the chunky neck on this guitar makes it extremely playable. Sounds great to boot..

D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Mayo5, DBBlues, zacmac and 4 others like this.
  11. Mobass

Mobass Silver Supporting Member

Some beautiful examples shown here folks. My humble contribution. 1967 Hoboken Guild F20 Troubadour. In all her bear clawed glory.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. plexigary

plexigary Member

Yep, that's me, I don't get over to UMGF that much these days. And I remember that script logo '46, that was a nice guitar. Cheers!

DBBlues likes this.
  13. WordMan

WordMan Member

Ha!! What a great connection. Yeah, the UMGF changed dramatically and I haven't visited much in a couple of years.

I had walked into the shop and they had at least 7 40's J-45's. Banners, all-Mahogany's, an SJ - great selection. I was there as part of a regular tour of places to find "my vintage J." About 3-4 of them in, I picked up this one, played a lick on it once and never looked back. While researching, I had played a special '40 J-35, and a special Banner J-45 - both priced way out of my range - and this '46 reminded me of those two guitars immediately. Tight lows and the mids that compress so wonderfully when you push it. And I could get it in a swap for my '57 LP Special - I've never looked back. It's my son's favorite guitar, too (go figure) - he's off at college now, but music is a core thing we share, and he grew up with this guitar as this special thing he knew was amazing and he got to play on special occasions. It will go to him when the time is right.

All of which is a long way to say: Thank you very much for finding it. It's part of my family now.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    DBBlues likes this.
  14. james warren

james warren Member

i have a Hagstrom from the early 70's it was made in switzerland or sweeden. it's a classical and still plays well and has the most mellow sound i've ever heard.

DBBlues likes this.
  15. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I have a '65 Gibson SJ southern jumbo--cherry sunburst, square shoulder, very similar to a Hummingbird of that era but without the pickguard, kluson tuners and some other differences (neck scale, two piece back). I was worried about the adjustable bridge but it sounds great even with light gauge strings so I keep it stock. Good acoustics always have some natural reverb in certain spots where you play and you definitely get that. Also ridiculously easy to play.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 4:15 PM
    DBBlues and zacmac like this.
  16. zacmac

zacmac Supporting Member

I’ve had a dozen or two vintage Gibsons from the 30’s - 70’s and my favorites that I’ve kept were:
    49 SJ
    55 J45
    64 dove
    66 J50
    64 Lg0
    65 B25

The more you play Gibson’s the more you realize that they all sound the same more or less

DBBlues and Mobass like this.
  17. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Here's my latest vintage acoustic: 1962 Martin D-28. I got it after it had a pro neck set and fret job. I added an WAHI nut and saddle, and FWI pins. It's a joy to play, to hear, and to look at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DBBlues likes this.
  18. Pauly B

Pauly B Member

My little, humble acoustic is a toy compared to some of these on this thread. Amazing guitars!

I have a 1976 Yamaha Black Label FG-165S. It's 43 years old now, and well played. I don't know how it sounded when new, but whoever owned it before me played it. A lot. It sounds big, and has lots of low end and midrange. It holds it's own with a fancy new Taylor. $200 with OHSC (also beat up.) Perfect busking guitar.