In re: The "out of print" Blackguard Book (which is readily available)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FrankHendrix, Mar 11, 2017.

1. FrankHendrix

FrankHendrix Telephile Silver Supporting Member

I posted this over in the Pub, but someone recommended that I publish it here too. It's a great book. I have bought three in the last few months; one for me, one as an experiment to resell, and one for a gift for a friend.

Nacho Banos wrote a great coffee table book on the earliest years of the Blackguard Teles and Esquires. It is easily purchased, new, for about $160 from him direct, with a nice signature addressed to you if you like. That's the total price, shipped from Spain.

Oddly, there are people who seem to proffer their new copies, still in the nice packaging which clearly states "theblackguardbook.com" right on the top of the carton, as "Out of Print" and "Extremely Rare," etc. for $400-500 dollars or more.

I'm all for people making a buck but this reeks in my opinion because they are blatantly lying.

The book is NOT out of print. It is NOT rare. Nacho has a couple thousand copies available, I think. Over at Reverb, where the copies routinely are offered for $500+ I offered one I specifically ordered as an experiment. I offered it for what I paid, plus the cost to ship it to the next guy, plus the reverb + paypal fees, plus the cost of a sandwich at the local dive and sold it in about an hour...

It just bugs me that people describe it as "out of print" when they bought their own copy, directly from Nacho, a few days earlier. If, on the other hand, they fell for the "out of print" lie too, and paid the big bucks, then I'm sorry about that and wouldn't want anyone else to make the same mistake. I don't work for Nacho, I paid the price asked. But if you want the book, click this link and buy yours for $160: http://theblackguardbook.com

Nacho insists on using Flash to enhance his presentation. If you click the link and it doesn’t load for you, you’d just get sent to his email address if you clicked the buy link which is how you order them anyway. His email address is nacho@telecasterplanet.com

You can just email him, ask him how much (150 euros, shipped) and do the Paypal thing. The books I ordered from him were delivered, from Spain, within four days.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Jerrod, mrfett, TonyBony and 6 others like this.
  2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Wow, I should have got one when they were $85..

EDIT; Just went to the site and see them for $85. still.

Has it not been updated?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    FrankHendrix likes this.
  3. alamere

alamere Member

Crazy.. I'd always wanted a copy.. but had heard it was out of print AND saw it selling for $3-500?! thanks for the info!

4. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different!

I'm with you! Nothing wrong whatsoever with making a couple of bucks, but I don't condone lying and that's ridiculous what they're asking! I really hope that people don't go for it.

5. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

There's one for sale here right now for $400 +. Yes, I think I got mine for about $80 several years back. You'd have to want that book pretty badly! :)

fretless likes this.
  6. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

Flash? Ohhh.... that's why I just see a black page on my iPhone....

7. FrankHendrix

That, and not be willing to spend sixty seconds doing a search for it on Google !!

8. sws1

sws1 Member

Yeah - but if you want to get one that's addressed to me, it'll cost you $400. It's a one-off, hand-built (signed) book.

9. FrankHendrix

Link please. If you mean J.K. Lutherie, it appears that book is out of stock in their inventory.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  10. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Site still says they are $85 plus S&H

11. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Yes, this is where I ordered mine from. I was inspired to pick one up after browsing through Rick Kelly's copy during a visit to his New York shop.

12. FrankHendrix

Link please. If you mean J.K. Lutherie, it appears that book is out of stock in their inventory.

13. Hulakatt

It's just the link in the OP: http://theblackguardbook.com/
    Navigate to the How To Order page and it says quite clearly that the book is $85 +S&H. Clicking the Order button opens up a script to email Nacho for a copy but I do not know if you can order a non signed book.

14. FrankHendrix

Of course. You will notice the date of that information is 12 years ago. JK Lutherie does not have that book in their inventory apparently - for any price. So to get one, you have to click the "Order here for signed copy" one which is the only way you can get one now. Still better than $500 bucks ... if you really felt you wanted one.

15. walkthewalk

walkthewalk Silver Supporting Member

The books are individually numbered. When I purchased my copy from JK Lutherie you could request a specific serial number if it was still available. I don't own an original Blackguard :( but some people who do requested a copy with a serial number that matched the serial number of their guitar :) I requested number 2046.

16. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

My Blackguard is # 0887. Love the book!

fretless likes this.
  17. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I didn't buy the Dumble book either.

I do have Beatles, Stones, and Grateful Dead gear books. Don't have to sell a kidney to get those.

Doesn't bother that people did buy those books.

18. Hulakatt

Looks like he's working on a Pinecaster book now

19. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

That's for the normal version. The relic'd version is the one that costs more. I've never seen such beautifully torn paper.

20. Jay K

Jay K Member

Just purchased one from Nacho's website for $160. It took a while to realize one has to press a button towards the upper right of the opening page of the website and ignore the link to J.K. Lutherie to get one. Ordered it last night and UPS already has it with delivery scheduled for this Wednesday.

Thanks OP for the heads up!