In Search of...Sustain.............

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pale Rider, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

I'm looking for a pedal that will aid me in, as the kids say, sustaining for days, like butter.
    seriously, I'm looking for something that won't affect my tone (transparency)
    and will beef up the sustain-
    I want the most out of it-so I'm looking for clean sustain-I can do this with distortion easily-THINK PEDAL STEEL!
    I have a EH Black Finger-which I like but I feel I can "hear" it (plus it's huge and a bit squishy I think) and I want something that will just ring out and be fuzz friendly as well
    I'd list gear but It's really the effect I'm going for regardless of my rig-
    I'm thinking drone- an almost Ebow in a box

Thanks for any help

2. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Tone Press. Don't waste your time & money with any other pedal.

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

My Korg Pandora PX-4 has an Ebow in a box patch that works pretty cool.

I alsow liked a Zendrive into an OCD v4. That produced that Santana note hold for long periods of time.

4. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I once got a good 30 seconds out of a DOD 280 compressor boosting a Dano Fab Distortion.

5. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

The Tone-Press is a mighty fine pedal - I'm one of those who leave it permanently one, and - like you - am after clean sustain. A pedal I'd like to try - or see others' comments on - in this regard is the Pigtronix ASDR (from reading the PDF of the manual at their website, I'm not sure it really does this, because of the auto-retrigger function). ALso wishing I could roadtest an EH Hog as the Freeze-Gliss option sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if that applies to the raw guitar or the generated pitches only. (As this might also satsify my 'let's pretend to a peda steel player' urge!).

6. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Tone Press!! - you will leave it on all the time. The blend feature makes it the most useable compressor you will find. It is also a great clean boost. It gets great sustain that doesn't sound artificial like some compressors when it kicks in. Works great with OD pedals too.
    :BEER

7. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Tone Press all the way.

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

9. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

10. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

11. doublee

doublee Member

The Tone Press is compression also, judging by the name. What sustain is good if you dont want no stinkin compression?

thanks

12. Jam119

Jam119 Member

And I think the Tone Press Has it! Now buy it and you won't look back!

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Turn up the sustain and turn down the blend and you have sustain without squashing your attack. I set the sustain almost full and the blend at about 8 o'clock and leave the pedal on almost all of the time.

14. doublee

doublee Member

So the Tone Press does sustain without the compression? I cant make no use so far for the comp....

15. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I use a compression pedal with a volume pedal, to control the sustain, mine is a Vox Snake Charmer compressor, it can be set to be transparant, and my volume pedal is a Morley Little Aligator, I like the morely, the passive volume pedals wear out, my morely is still working after a lot of years, also I can set up for controlled feedback, the volume pedal gives me that control which is really cool.

16. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Just to reinforce the point re the blend control on the Tone Press: use the blend control to blend in some of the dry signal so you don't get noticeable clipping of the attack and you wind up with the sustain aspect of compression but the rest of the compression principle is unnoticeable. I use a volume pedal too - although for swells. I also get noticeably more sustain by using a clean boost after the Tone Press I use either a Hao Rust Booster (which can be used a a 'fattener' as well as a boost, depending on the balance between boost and level - an excellent pedal, which I much preferred to the Fulltone Fat Boost) or a Snarling Dogs Very-Tone (on either the Bypass or Wild Dog settings). By boosting the output levels at each stage (Volume control on the Tone Press, Level on the Hao and/or Snarling Dogs), I get a warmer tone and considerably more sustain (and balance the resulting final volume by turning the amp down a touch). Same principle as using a Treble Booster as originally developed (to drive the pre-amp in the amp harder), but with a full range boost rather than just the top end. Currently experimenting with using a Morley FX Blender to fade in/out the Snarling Dogs (along with a few other gadgets I like 'a touch of' - Chorus, the Octo setting on a Line 6 Verbzilla) so I can bring in extra 'boost' when I want it.