• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

"In the City" or "Heavy Metal"?

"In the City" or "Heavy Metal"?

• Joe Walsh, "In the City"

Votes: 64 68.8%
  • Don Felder, "Heavy Metal"

Votes: 29 31.2%

• Total voters
Dostoyevsky’s Crime & Punishment, set in gangland NYC, when Rascal, a kid from the wrong side of the tundra but with good intentions gets caught up in questions he can’t understand.

Asked The Grand Inquisitor*: Cannnnn Youuuuuu Diggggg Ittttt????????

*I know, that’s Karamazov; but like Belushi in Animal House, I was on a roll ;)
Toss in a guy with liver problems and you've got yourself a Dostoevsky hat trick.

Now that you mention it, the story of the Czechoslovak Legion maps pretty neatly onto the Anabasis/Warriors formula. They were POWs from the Hapsburg Empire who fought their way out of Civil War-era Russia by seizing towns along the Trans-Siberian Railroad until they reached Vladivostok.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Toss in a guy with liver problems and you've got yourself a Dostoevsky hat trick.

Now that you mention it, the story of the Czechoslovak Legion maps pretty neatly onto the Anabasis/Warriors formula. They were POWs from the Hapsburg Empire who fought their way out of Civil War-era Russia by seizing towns along the Trans-Siberian Railroad until they reached Vladivostok.
Just so long as the Trans Siberian Orchestra isn't involved.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member

You know, that’s exactly what I was thinking.

Well, except for the whole “never heard of it” aspect of things.

Once again, ignorance fought, sir - tip o’ the hat to you.

And just because we are nerding out, I will say that my limited exposure to Russian History can likely be best summed up in Minard’s Map of the Napoleonic Campaign to Moscow ;)

[If you care about the visual display of information, the Bible is Edward Tufte’s book, called strangely enough, The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. On the cover, and in the body of the book, Tufte uses Minard’s map as the acme of the craft, showing so many variables in easy-to-grasp form. I got this book, read about Minard’s map - boom, Russian history.]

1606066214974.gif

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
'Tis the season for that ubiquitous, insufferable version of "Carol of the Bells."
The word you are looking for is Tintinnabulation. Insufferable tintinnabulation - something Poe could relate to - perhaps he was inspired by an early incarnation of TSO.

[Sorry - WordMan and all...]

Last edited:
You know, that’s exactly what I was thinking.

Well, except for the whole “never heard of it” aspect of things.

Once again, ignorance fought, sir - tip o’ the hat to you.

And just because we are nerding out, I will say that my limited exposure to Russian History can likely be best summed up in Minard’s Map of the Napoleonic Campaign to Moscow ;)

[If you care about the visual display of information, the Bible is Edward Tufte’s book, called strangely enough, The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. On the cover, and in the body of the book, Tufte uses Minard’s map as the acme of the craft, showing so many variables in easy-to-grasp form. I got this book, read about Minard’s map - boom, Russian history.]

View attachment 321520
I use that map pretty much every year to show my students what an unmitigated fiasco the Grande Armée's invasion of Russia was; it's a fantastic resource.

Also, I think this thread has set some sort of TGP record for going from inadvertent genitalia jokes to Anabasis and tintinnabulation in just two pages.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
I use that map pretty much every year to show my students what an unmitigated fiasco the Grande Armée's invasion of Russia was; it's a fantastic resource.

Also, I think this thread has set some sort of TGP record for going from inadvertent genitalia jokes to Anabasis and tintinnabulation in just two pages.
Just another day over here in the WordHouse ;)

And I *totally* knew you’d know that map - it is so darn cool and informative.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Joseph_Minard#The_map_of_Napoleon's_Russian_campaign
Minard is best known for his cartographic depiction of numerical data on a map of Napoleon's disastrous losses suffered during the Russian campaign of 1812 (in French, Carte figurative des pertes successives en hommes de l'Armée Française dans la campagne de Russie 1812–1813). The illustration depicts Napoleon's army departing the Polish-Russian border. A thick band illustrates the size of his army at specific geographic points during their advance and retreat. It displays six types of data in two dimensions: the number of Napoleon's troops; the distance traveled; temperature; latitude and longitude; direction of travel; and location relative to specific dates without making mention of Napoleon; Minard's interest lay with the travails and sacrifices of the soldiers.[4] This type of band graph for illustration of flows was later called a Sankey diagram, although Matthew Henry Phineas Riall Sankey used this visualisation 30 years later and only for thematic energy flow.​

kd2024

I’m not a big fan of either but I’m a big fan of Joe and not a fan at all of Felder (mainly due to his thinking he was more important to the Eagles than Frey and Henley)....

All that said, give me Joe, along with Hagar’s dong show version of Heavy Metal!

spaceman39

Just listened to both songs and changed my my initial reaction/choice. I have to go with “In the City” as the better song. Took a listen to “Standing Hampton”as well,as I haven’t heard that one in quite a while. Great song, no wonder Van Halen wanted him, between Montrose and his early 80’s solo material it was apparent he had what it takes.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
Just listened to both songs and changed my my initial reaction/choice. I have to go with “In the City” as the better song. Took a listen to “Standing Hampton”as well,as I haven’t heard that one in quite a while. Great song, no wonder Van Halen wanted him, between Montrose and his early 80’s solo material it was apparent he had what it takes.
My work here is done.

;)

Think Floyd

Gold Supporting Member
I've seen both movies many years ago. The only thing I remember about "Warriors" is the phrase "Warriors, come out and play". However, I remember many scenes from "Heavy Metal" and lots of good music!

Winner: Heavy Metal

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
I've seen both movies many years ago. The only thing I remember about "Warriors" is the phrase "Warriors, come out and play". However, I remember many scenes from "Heavy Metal" and lots of good music!

Winner: Heavy Metal
You don’t remember lines from The Warriors?!
- Can youuuu dig it?
- RIFFS!!
- Okay, Boppers.
- You mess with the Orphans!?
- Swann’s Warchief, we’re going with him.

Off the top of my head.

Edited to add: forgot
- Are we done running?! Well, good, I’m sick of running from these wimps!!
- I’ll shove that bat up your a$$ and turn you into a popsicle!!

Last edited:

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Love Joe, but Heavy Metal for me, no contest.

Also, awesome movie. A sequel languished for ages and eventually turned into "Love, Death, and Robots" which is a pretty cool series of shorts on Netflix.

Trending Topics