1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

in the spirit of gibson p90 specials?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Aug 6, 2006.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

I really like the spirit of the gibson p90 specials I've played. The good ones can get jangly-poppy on the bridge, crunchy/roary in the middle, and jazzy or growly in the neck. They seem flexible, durable, more comfy than an LP, and nice.

Problem is that the only really nice ones I've played are $$$.

So what're the non-Gib options?

I've thought of: Hamer specials and getting less hot pups. Godin LG's. (Doesn't J. Silberman have some HD Z90's in an LG? How's that thing treating you, Jon?) Whatabout Guild? Most of the Japanese guitar makers I like don't seem to do the slim-all-mahog thing. What about finding an MIJ LP Custom copy and popping in p90's? Other suggestions?

-thi

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I vote Hamer Special:

[​IMG]

I like the pickups myself, but if you don't, they're easy to replace and Specials are still relatively cheap on the used market.

-Austin

3. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I love my hamer korina jr!!

[​IMG]

4. Raymund

Raymund Member

+ 1 for the Hamer Special.

But nothing can beat a good Les Paul Special especially when you exchange the P-100´s with Jason Lollar´s. According to my opinion the best are the mid 90ies Specials with bound neck. It took me several months to find a good one (I bought it in Japan from Soundpal!) and it was even pretty cheap (around USD 650,- + shipping). It is definitely a keeper with very nice cleans and crunches.

The newer ones don´t kick me off, neither the Custom ordered ones (one I tried out had very bad frets with lots of filler, rough and were even coloured - maybe rust !)

[​IMG]

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've got one just like the one in the picture above. It's really nice, and I concur that the bound-neck ones are better.

One of the better deals out there, presently. It's made as well, and plays as nicely, as any other guitar I've got. Slightly lacking in "vibe" but then, it hasn't been played in for twenty years... <g>

I've left the P-100s in mine, as I gig it a lot and can't abide the hum. They sound just fine, for my needs. Supposedly, you can just snip the wire to the second coil on the P-100s and they turn into great-sounding P90s.

Loudboy

6. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've got one of the 90's gibson lp specials too, great guitar for the cash, and contrary to popular opinion I like the p100's too and see no reason to take em out.

7. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Have you tried out the LP Special Faded Doublecuts? Some guys don't like the finish, but I love mine - and it was around $7-800. No slam on the Hamers and other suggestions - all are good guitars - I just love Gibbys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. rorschah

rorschah Member

Hmm... I'll look into Hamer Specials AND 90's Gibbys.

How do you tell the good 90's ones? Is it just the bound neck?

-thi

9. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Austin, where'd you get one with a wraptail? All of the Hamers I've seen short of the pricey Korina Jr. have stoptails.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

This model of Gibson Special was also produced in the '90's. It came with P90's not P100's. This link was on the Gibson site on a page that showed discontinued models for various years, I believe this one was discontinued in '96. I don't know if you can even find a link to this page on the Gibson site, but the page is obviously still on a server somewhere.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/LesPaul/SpecialDoubleCut.html

I think you can find these for seven or eight hundred bucks. I have one and it's a pretty good guitar. I don't know much about other versions in the ninties or how it compares.

11. utterhack

utterhack Member

There's a red '90 Singlecut Special up on the bay this week (not mine, no relation to seller - I just like Specials). Red and burst tend to go for less than yellow, so this could be a decent deal. Yellows have been going for $850 - $1250 shipped lately, though they seem to be cooling back toward the low end of that range.