In violation of the Pedal trend, Guitar effects with Rack Gear

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Saint Luminus, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

Everything is about pedals nowadays. Check out my latest video where I use a Lexicon PCM 81, and a Lexicon MPX-1 to create a moody melodic theme which starts with a pad.

What you will see at the beginning is me playing an Fm chord and rolling in the volume. I then set the PCM to turn on its infinite Reverb so its Reverb tail continues as a pad. I then play the theme using a delay effect with the MPX-1.

The rack gear of yesterday has some amazing sounds and control.

Ok I admit it. I did use a pedal, the Boss BD-2. :) Click the youtube link below.

2. laneychris

laneychris Member

Nice I would love to have a lexicon PCM 81!!

3. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Hey William

Really NICE tones! No pedals sound like that, you bet.

@laneychris get one! Cheaper than the trendy pedals of the moment...

4. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt Member

I'm interested in hearing more of your opinions specifically on the MPX-1. I have one that a guy basically abandoned with me and I've never hooked it up. What's the goods/bads in your experience? Sounds good in your vid, anyway.

5. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Do you recall the PCM 81 preset number?

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It might not have the sheer depth of reverbs that the PCM81 has but it's a beast for being able to make cool sound. The Effects Construction Kit or whatever that preset is called lets you tie all kinds of interesting things together. It is a LOT to program from a little LCD panel, though.

7. fechart

fechart Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not exactly your point OP, but here's my kinda hybrid setup

Saint Luminus likes this.
  8. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

I have to give credit where credit is due. What you hear is because of Italo. His insight from another forum encouraged me to get a PCM 81 and start to use it. And I'm so glad I did. Further, the Lexicon MPX-1 is using a preset which Italo graciously shared called "Tailspinnin''.

I am humbled that you like it Italo. :) But really dude, you blew my mind when I heard what these unit could produce. And your eargasm examples on your website are sounds you just can't get out of pedals. Oh and the amount of control the user has over the parameters and ways to be creative about it? Incredible.

I highly recommend a PCM 80 or 81. Is there a steep learning curve? Yeah. Is it worth it? HELL YES!

Hey why are you still reading this? Go find one on Ebay or Reverb or Craigslist etc. :) :) :)

9. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

From the Manual,

"
    4.5 AutoInfinite ADJUST: FX Mix 0–100

With signal present the reverb time runs long. With signal absent the infinite process is switched on. The threshold for the event is set high such that after a source is running in the infinite process, you can play softer passages against it which chorus and echo at the same time. AR Envelope parameters are included in the soft row. Adjust the threshold to suit your application."

Here is how I changed it to do what I wanted. I didn't use the AR envelope, instead I used a midi CC to turn the Infinite Reverb ON and Off. I have that specific midi CC programmed on my midi pedalboard. Further, I set a different midi CC to Bypass the input to the PCM 81. This way the Reverb continues and doesn't change no matter what I play.

On top of that, I'm using the MPX-1 with Italo's amazing sounding preset. I kept the preset as is for this video, but I've been messing with it in very fun ways.

Hey, thanks guys for your interest. Since this is the Gear Page, let's talk gear and not just pedals. Oh and I do like that Keeley modded BD-2. :)

10. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

Awesome demo!
    I too have been messing with Italo's TaleSpinnin', and didn't even realize that's what you are using. It's a very versatile preset (obviously).
    Are you running in stereo?