1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

In what way does a hollow guitar sound different from his solid twin?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by adrinalino, Feb 5, 2011.

1. adrinalino

adrinalino Member

In what way does a hollow guitar sound different from his solid twin?

What exactly changes to the sound if a solid body guitar gets hollow spaces in it and does it matter if there are openings in the body (f-shaped holes for instance).

[​IMG]

Um abra├žo,

Adriano.

2. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I think the attack softens and the tone warms as you move from solid to chambered to semi to fully hollow.

3. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Well I've owned solid and chambered Les Pauls, both with HBs and P90s. While I appreciate the tone of the solid Les Paul and recognise that it is the sound that made the guitar what it is, in both P90 and HB formats I prefer the chambered guitar. The sound might be a tiny bit "thinner", but I gain better defined bass strings and a less compressed feel. My only LP at the moment is a chambered R8 with HBs and it sounds incredible to me. It sounds like a great Les Paul but with better then normal bass string twang. I love it!

However with Telecasters I probably prefer the solids. Because a Tele with regular Tele pickups already has all the twang that you could want the chambered (thinline) version can be a bit too airy and bright. Bear in mind that I seem to gravitate towards hollow and semi-hollow guitars and that I like uncompressed, punchy fat sounding guitars. But I have to have a well-defined, some would say twangy, low-end.

4. adrinalino

adrinalino Member

If you say the sound is a bit thinner does that mean there is more high in it and less bass?

Groeten,

Aad.

5. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I've had both solid and chambered Les Pauls as well. The solid LPs to me are edgier and cut through a band better. The chambered LPs are warmer and to my ears a little fatter sounding but with less midrange. Here's my chambered Les Paul Elegant (Custom Shop).
    http://postimage.org/image/zthwrs84/

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Play some and find out for yourself :)

7. lumco

lumco Most of the roads I travel are muddy Gold Supporting Member

I have Tom Anderson Hollow T Style guitars which are very light and sound great, but the Solid T I have from Tom Anderson I always seem to play first and more. More vintage feel, more vintage sound and little less spanky. Hollow T's are very much in your face airy sounding ( in a good way if that is your style). I just like the Solid better. It all works though.