In your opinion, what does the digital modelling market need?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by NickoO, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Matttt

Matttt Member

It's a cool amp for sure, but the modelling is from the HD series so not really comparable to the Helix/Axe-Fx/etc.

Also, and this is just personal preference, but I like to play actual modelled amps that sound like the originals... rather than vague 'British' or 'American' models.

2. Matttt

Matttt Member

I'd pay $3000 for such a product.

In my opinion, the modelling on the Katana, etc... just isn't there. It's ok, but it's $400 ok.

I want the pinnacle of modelling... the kind we see now in the Axe-Fx and so on... but in a simple easy to use amp format.

LaXu likes this.
  3. Matttt

Matttt Member

As a keyboard player myself, I disagree with you. Soft synths have 600gb libraries these days and thousands of adjustable parameters. Even the hardware often looks like a NASA control panel.

Sure, there are club players who play in soft rock bands and they just dial up a couple of ready made presets, but on the whole... keyboard players are tweakers. This is evidenced by the products available to them.

NORD saw a gap in the market. The professional musician who needs a stage-reliable instrument of the highest quality, that is easy to tweak on the fly.

The key thing here is 'of the highest quality'. The Line6 Amplifi and Firehawk are not that at all. Stick a Helix brain into a similar format and I'll pay attention. That's what I'm getting at here. If a keyboard player buys a NORD, they get that ease of use along with industry leading sound.

I understand the problems of not being able to please everyone, but NORD have done a pretty good job with keyboards. I don't see why someone can't do it with a high-end modelling amplifier.

Toby Krebs likes this.
  4. Matttt

Matttt Member

It's to do with workflow and ease of use.

I have a Yamaha THR 10, a great practice amp. One of the things I like about it is that I just flick a switch and it's on and making sound. I can instantly adjust it.

With a Kemper/Helix/Axe... it's not like that at all, is it? Not even if I set up three basic patches for use. Because at the very minimum, I've got to plug it into something (speakers/powercab/whatever) and suddenly I have two volume controls and sometimes 2 eq systems going on (one on the speaker itself, one on the modeller). Then, if I have pedal controls... chances are I've got a dozen switches I don't want or need, and it needs to be programmed in some way. Then, I hit one wrong button and suddenly I'm adjusting ******** like amp sag or IR's.

I don't understand how people cannot comprehend this? The popularity of the Helix is in part because it is easier to use than Fractals stuff. With a better work flow and user interface. The reason people are not abandoning tube amps completely is not just because of sound, but ease of use. The reason people didn't ditch stompboxes for Eventide Harmonisers was because of workflow and ease of use.

It's a huge gap in the market, I'd say.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    LaXu and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  5. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Agree completely. Before windows few people really could use computers. The enthusiasts would say “it’s easy once you learn basic code” but few felt like they wanted to and pretty much ignored early computers. Once Apple and MS implemented great GUIs they took off. UI and ease of use is key to adoption.

6. Matttt

Matttt Member

The Yamaha THR100 is the closest thing to what I want. It's almost perfect. It just think the modelling tech is not quite top shelf.

Since Yamaha own Line6 now, I'd like to see a Helix brain in the THR100 user interface. That'd be cool.

I'd even by happy if they left the fx out of it as they do now with the THR100.

7. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

The Line 6 Team are now managing all Yamaha Guitar products.

Matttt likes this.
  8. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

Get a Kemper powered head. Sit it on top of a non-powered guitar cab. Plug the speaker cab into the Kemper. Turn on the Kemper and it's ready to make noise, with hardware gain, bass, middle, treble and presence knobs (and reverb time/mix, delay feedback/mix/tap tempo, and modulation depth and speed hardware knobs as well as effects on/off hardware buttons for all effects) waiting for you to touch and tweak. Grab a knob and spin it to call up any one of hundreds of different amps.

Jimmyno likes this.
  9. yeky83

yeky83 Member

There's a ton of plug-and-play digital modeling amps from Line 6, Boss, Roland, Vox, Fender, Marshall, etc., basically any guitar brand lol. I don't think there's a gap in the market like you describe at all.

10. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I agree with what a lot is being said about just having a great sounding modelling amp
    That isn’t necessarily a specific model

You can pick parameters for preamp bias tubes power tubes. Circuit transformer
    Bias is on the right track IMO
    But it’s sound isn’t there but as an actual model to have players build there custom amps I think it’s a great concept

11. Watt McCo

BUT THEY CAN'T SOUND GOOD BECAUSE THEY DON'T COST $3000!!!!!!!! DESPITE EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY!!!

yeky83 likes this.
  12. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Member

These amps kick ass.

KenG, yeky83 and Watt McCo like this.
  13. Southpawed

Southpawed Member

14. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Guitar profiling is here already. Heard it, saw it at the last Musika Show in Rome, Italy.
    Colour me (highly) impressed!:eek: Looking forward for mine to be delivered :D

The team is highly responsive on forums and have been improving XT-1 since the very beginning. They also have a Store (like Kemper's Rig Exchange) where you find both community- and factory-released guitar sounds, as they call them.
    Oh, and it profiles acoustic guitars too :eek:

In this demo (there are many around) the profiling procedure starts around 1:45. Sound demos start around 5:20

EDIT: Thinking about it, "profiling" your guitar(s) serves two purpose: one is to create the profile and share it; and one is to let XT-1 analyse your instrument and gab the information it will use in order to have your guitar properly drive the model(s).
    Hope this makes sense.

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  15. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I really don’t think anything is needed. You have many great tones from many different platforms to choose from. You have many great sounding FRFR monitors to choose from. Many great ways to hear your amp via FOH instead of micing it. As guitar players we have lots of great choices! This is a great thing!

The one thing I don’t have is a footswitch for my Axe III. ;)

Still waiting on that one..........

16. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

The big boys need to follow Boss's lead in putting out a simple amp combo showcasing steller sound you can get without deep editing. I think Kemper could pull it off. Fractal and Helix would probably have to give them a zillion tweaking options, and imo they would have missed the idea of getting everything from the front panal.

Boss hit a fricking homerun with the Katana. Let's see those other guys do it too.

17. Watt McCo

What kind of deep editing is required in Kemper for stellar tone?

18. ghostrider

ghostrider Silver Supporting Member

That’s definitely a fair point. I owned the DT25 and it was an excellent sounding amp. Did ‘American’ on it sound like a Deluxe? I mean, you could get close but I have a Deluxe and I’ll say no. How about ‘British’, nah. Even though they didn’t sound identical, they really did sound excellent, but if identical is what you’re going for, those amps aren’t for you.

19. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'd like a small, nice looking amp head or combo..... loaded with a rotary knob for selecting amps... and then just these controls as knobs...

Bass, mid, treble, volume, gain, master volume. Built in effects loop on back, along with speaker outs and direct recording out.

No effects. Maybe ten diverse amp models to start and more can be added or purchased... and a nice and simple online editing program.

I've mentioned this before and someone recommended the Bias amps, but after hearing clips and reading reviews, they just don't seem quite right for me.

Just now came across another thread that mentioned the Bias Mini Guitar head. This is close to what I just described... how does it sound? I'm not a fan of how it looks, but I could build a head for it pretty easily for a fun project if I wanted to. Sound and performance are most important.

After checking out online reviews and sounds from the Bias Mini, I still think they fall short of what I have heard from the top modelers. I'd like to see a much simplified AxFx like this... or Helix.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  20. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

What I would really like is a new Yamaha THR to carry around the house, out on the patio, jam out at work, and so forth. I sold my THR10 almost two years ago, thinking that was surely the year they would come out with a new version at NAMM. I'm still waiting.

Essential features:
    • All the amp models from all the THR units, including bass and acoustic.
    • Keep it battery-powered and as simple as possible (as the current THR10 is).
    • A way to store more than 5 presets. Some ideas on doing this as simply as possible:
      • Add the ability to set the channel default, i.e. I switch channels and it defaults to my own setting for that channel.
      • Maybe have 5 master presets, then another 5 presets per channel. Would 2 rows of 5 preset buttons be too confusing?
      • Or just go for a large number (64, 128, or more) of user presets.
    • Bluetooth for jam-along playback.
    Bonus features:
    • Bluetooth patch editing.
    • Built-in rechargeable and user-serviceable battery pack.
    • Foot controller support. Maybe Line 6 FBV, or a new line of Bluetooth add-on foot controllers, or something.
    • Built-in wireless, like the Spider V series.
    • Built-in rhythm and looping, like a Digitech RP360 or Zoom G3N.

Jarick and fazer like this.