In your opinion, what does the digital modelling market need?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by NickoO, Oct 23, 2018.

1. yeky83

yeky83 Member

"The big boys" of Kemper, Fractal, or Helix? Boss is hardly a small shop compared to these companies :p

And why do you need another Katana from one of these companies if you already think it's a "fricking homerun?" Added to that, there's already other products like it, it's not an empty market.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. LaXu

LaXu Member

As a former owner, I agree about the presets. The boosts were spot on in sound though, but the combined gain and volume pot was a bad miss. The amp models themselves did not have enough gain on tap and I feel the master knob should have added more compression than it did. Could never dial the reverb to sound like I wanted. The "solid" amp model wasn’t that useful either and it could have used a higher wattage poweramp for more volume. I loved the channel blending and poweramp tube features and individual output for each amp. It got so close to being right that I definitely want a version 2.

To me the Yamaha DG80 was the yardstick for this kind of unit. Replace the motorized pots with LED rings that change according to preset or when hitting effects editing and you would have multiple knob control for both amp settings and any effects at the press of a button.

3. Matttt

Matttt Member

*rolls eyes*

You're being disingenuous. You know it's not about price, and you know it's about the quality of the models, and you know it's about workflow.

It's ok to disagree and have a different taste, but to pretend you can't comprehend how anyone could think differently is ridiculous.

I don't think many people would agree that the current offerings have the same quality of modelled amps as the AxeFx2/3, Helix, etc. In fact, some brands, such as the Line6 recommendations above (DT series, etc) explicitly state that this is the case. They might be good enough for a lot of people, I'm sure they sell, but I want the best modelling in a plug and play amp format, and it does not presently exist.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  4. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

I dunno - just above a guy with an AxeIII said it's a badass amp. I've got a Kemper but on more than one occasion I've wondered if that amp wouldn't do everything I really want/need in hardware modeling for a lot less money.

Curious: have you owned a Fractal or Kemper?

If you took an Axe II, got rid of the screen, a whole slew of buttons, a whole slew of I/O, and scaled the processor down to being just enough for amp modeling...you should be able to put it into combo format for a lot less than 3k. Same as Kemper.

5. Matttt

Matttt Member

I have not owned either an Axe FX nor a Kemper. But I have played both.

I think they sound incredible.

I played a Yamaha THR100 and thought it was great. It sounded good, but not even close to the Axe Fx I'd played the same day. I enjoyed the ease of use and workflow of the THR100 and if they updated it with Helix-level amp models, then that'd be my ideal.

If Line6 or Fractal or Kemper could produce such a unit for less than $3000 then great... The price is not very relevant for me because I'd pay whatever it costs.

The NORD analogy I made earlier... You can get what a NORD offers in terms of sound, for a lot less. And for NORD money, you can get a lot more. But what you're paying for is the design philosophy.

6. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

I like the notion of the Line 6 Powercabs, but I would like to see them made even lighter and with different speaker sizes and configurations.

7. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Wow, what a biting tone.

You're right, I don't really care about the Fractal and Helix as a simple combo, their whole thing is ultra deep editing. But the Kemper, having great profile tone without deep editing makes it my candidate for a combo.

As far as the current "competition" for the Katana, they all need deep editing, in fact for many people massive editing IS what they want. The Fender digital is nice but still requires editing, especially if you want to cop an artist tone.

The Katana is different, sure it has deep editing, but it's not at all needed for breathtaking artist tones. Dave Simpson made a great video of just this thing, he gives us around 10 artist tones only The Big Three could cop. Forget the so called competition level guys.

Listen to this video through a good system. There is zero deep editing. All tones come from the knobs on the front panal, not one soft button to go into deeper editing. Absolutely bare bones.
    Plus Dave is a fine guitarist, a joy to listen to.

8. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

I'd be down for a 2x12 with individually selectable speakers so you can mix and match.

Robot B9 likes this.
  9. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Eh? Biting tone? I don't know what part would come across as such, other than your words I quoted... :p
    This comes across as someone who hasn't actually owned these units, have you?
    No one needs to "deep edit" on anything, comes down to preferences I'd say. You just happen to prefer the Katana as-is, but plenty of people feel that deep editing is necessary for the Katana too. But I'm glad you've found what works for you :)

10. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Of course this is all my opinion, you hold no obligation to like or dislike what I say. All this stuff I say I say in the moment with little prepared.

And what you say about editing,
    another one of your talking points, that is also true, and wrong as well. The Katana tone shaping is unlike any system I've seen. Tell me any other modeler or kpa where turning the gain to ZERO, bass at 12:00, and mids, and treble at ZERO. With optional chorus set at 3:00, turned off at the moment All adjustable from the front panal.

That is very different, no other digital amp work that way.

11. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

This exactly. In the same way you can get studio monitors in different sizes like my Yamaha HS8s also come as 5s and 7s. With the proliferation of modelers in all sizes and feature levels a cube shaped powercab with an 8” or 10” driver would fit in nicely. I’d buy two pairs.

Robot B9 likes this.
  12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

A Wireless Variax with a full Helix inside it.

yeky83 likes this.
  13. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

An AX8 with a 2018 UI+Bluetooth iPad editor. For under a grand. Because, you know—progress and competition. That product would own the market.

14. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

A Kemper floorboard that could just load profiles (instead of being able to profile) would be kickass.

Christoph Kemper hinted that they have thought of a new floorboard style product, but development is taking time.

ford likes this.
  15. remmy

remmy Member

Not sure if one exists, I know it doesn't in the Helix which is what I use, but I would love to have a blackface Princeton model available to use.

I have the real thing and it cannot keep up with my band volume wise. Adding the silverface would be fine too ;)

16. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

The KPA toaster with power amp is pretty simple, light, and portable. I have mine in a small gym bag with the optional stomp and some cables. Done.

Load as many or as few models as you want. They sound high end and it takes pedals well.

Only issue is price. They run around 1800-2000 and the stock floor controller is another 400. You can also buy a cheaper controller like the Mission Audio or G-Lab stuff.

JiveTurkey and Watt McCo like this.
  17. Jon Bcn

Jon Bcn Member

A cheaper Kemper.

18. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Kemper in a combo w/ no profiling.

blandified and shizzaq like this.
  19. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I've been bugging @Digital Igloo for a Princeton model for a while now... I still have a Princeton, and it's definitely a little different than other Fender amps.

fazer, remmy and mikah912 like this.
  20. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I wish there was something like the Katana Air but bigger and ready to gig with. My ideal would be an amp with 2 ten to twelve inch speakers with 100 watts stereo (50w each) The amp models would be Clean, Crunch, Lead, Metal, Acoustic or something like that. Basically Fender, Vox, Marshall Plexi, Mesa Mark/Rectifier. Then it would have decent effects built in and you could deep edit via bluetooth and an iPhone app. Also the thing would have a lithium ion battery pack like a laptop computer so it could be used for 8 hours on a charge at half volume or something. Also would be nice to have wireless built in. The Boss Katana Air is close to my ideal modeling amp but it is still small and more of a practice amp. I want a $500 Katana Air style amp with real speakers and wattage and with a legit lithium ion based rechargeable battery.

hitchcockblonde likes this.