In your opinion...what is lacking in today's guitar instruction?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by mojazzmo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

It depends on the level players are at, but for most novice and intermidiate players they are severely lacking right hand rhythm and technique. All this can be built, but few teach it.

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Member

Nothing is missing.
    The same as it ever was.

3. Lpmusicservices

Lpmusicservices Member

Using research-based instructional practices to maximize rigor and relevance. As an Elementary Music Teacher, we have seminars and in services that give us tools to teach. I would love to see something like a group of great guitar teachers in popular styles that are helping to advocate and promote great teaching practices. Classical guitarists and most other instruments have organizations like NafME to help out.

In the meantime, research Bloom's Taxonomy, Orff Schulwerk, Suzuki and Kodaly. I don't know how I got any progress done before understanding the principles of being an effective teacher!

4. mike walker

mike walker Member

As a teacher, my goal is to give students the confidence to teach themselves.
    Narrative is a big thing in my teaching. Improvisation that has narrative.
    This doesn't have to mean melodic, harmonic, scale based stuff.
    It can mean a whole bunch of things to do with Rhythm, Sound, Energy, Dynamics, etc etc.
    Trying to bring out a students natural creativity (loaded subject right here) is something
    that has been a passion of mine for years. Getting a student to realise they have as much to say, if they so chose, as the next guy.
    And where scales modes arpeggios etc etc are concerned - don't blame them. They're just tools...... a means to a never ending story - bad workman always blames his.......

5. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

6. mike walker

mike walker Member

Zackly.

7. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Gigs..cause that's where much of the important learning happens.

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

I'm not sure I'd agree there's anything lacking in instruction. In fact, compared to when I came up there's more opportunities than ever to get instruction - and I'm not just saying that because I'm a professional teacher. I'm also a student...most professional teachers are also students at some level or another. I take lessons with other players, my colleagues...I take classes to expand my credentials - and probably always will

Man, when I was growing up there were a dozen electric guitar books at the most, Guitar Player magazine, and two colleges nationwide where you could major in any guitar style other than classical - and I had no problem getting the instruction I wanted.

9. Jarrett IFD

Jarrett IFD Member

I think it's a combination of a couple of things, but mainly it's lessons in rhythm and timing. The reason that I think it is lacking with most teachers is because it takes work and patience for the students to learn, which in today's short attention span world doesn't hold the student's attention. I think the key to finding good instructors who can emphasize the importance of rhythm and time while making it fun to learn and emphasizing it's importance for future growth as a player.

10. icarusi

icarusi Member

I'm missing the 'How do I get to sound different to other guitarists I'm hearing'. When I started that was quite important. Now there appears to be more 'How do I get to sound more like players x,y & z (who all happen to sound very similar). I'm not hearing too many guys recently that I can't group stylistically, although some are pushing the development of their particular niche, others are being 'consistent'. Usually it's the guys who straddle styles who come up with the interesting stuff, to my ears. Maybe that stuff can't be taught directly, more a suggestion to listen to what you're producing, and how unique it is, experimenting more.

11. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Serving the song.

Listening to the other musicians in the room.

Playing, or *not playing* (leaving space) in a manner that helps to create a living, breathing musical moment right now using whatever current skills you have.

Playing music, not merely regurgitating whatever fingerings you've been practicing lately.

-bEn r.

12. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Agreed, and your guitar teacher alone ain't gonna teach you all those things.

13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

That's a journey most stylists walk by themselves as they have to find their own path.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Exactly.