Inadvertently started my first parts guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by infiniteposse, Apr 11, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I just snagged a guitar off CL that was simply listed as a telecaster. I spoke to the guy on the phone and he'd gotten the guitar from an estate some time ago, so that made the guitar at least 15 years or so old. After playing the guitar and liking the basic's of it, though it was a fixer for sure, I figured what the hay... I paid $170 for it and I figure I'll get an education.

So I've got this guitar and I've broken it down. It turns out the neck and body are old Warmoth parts. The necks well worn and could use some cleanup on the frets, but overall it's nice birdseye maple. It seems it's an ash body and overall, the guitar is featherweight and quite resonant. The bridge pickup is a Duncan of some sort and the neck is unidentified and has no marking, just a brass/copper looking back. The route for the bucker isn't pretty, but it works and I've wanted a tele with a S/H setup for some time, so here we go.

Questions:

- The guitar has a 6 saddle tele bridge that's stamped Fender. Decent or not? Should I look into upgrading?
    - Anyone know what the Duncan pickup is?
    - The guitar's been taken apart a few times and some of the screws are too tight or too loose. Thoughts on how to remedy these issues? Is there a filler to use to create new holes with?

That's about it for now.

Any help appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. majordelt

majordelt Member

Bridge pup looks like a quarter pounder. I'd say you did quite well my friend.
    One thing, If your looking for a real tele tone, swap out the 1/4lb'r for just about anything other than that!

3. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Thanks for the feedback.

I forgot to take some shots of the control cavity and the pots. I'm curious if I should upgrade any of the electronics while I'm at it. I'm unsure if you can anything about the pots just by looking, but if so here's some shots of the pots and guts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

I'd go with Callaham hardware and a brass 3 saddle setup...an RS tele wiring kit (soldering looks pretty horrible) and new pickups depending on what your tonal needs and goals for the guitar are...I like traditional tele pups and currently have Lollar AL 3 tele pups and have a set of Stuarts on the way...I'd like to try the Mare pups...I'd go that route with a new pickguard...

I use Titebond wood glue and a wooden matchsticks for the holes that are too loose...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Bridge looks fine to me, BUT having just got a Joe Barden Tele Bridge, I doubt I will use anything else on a tele.
    Looks like a nice guitar! Bolt it together, maybe get new frets and play!

6. 205

205 Senior Member

Apart from fret clean up it looks pretty much ready to go to me!

7. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

The other thing I forgot to mention was the tuners are sort of cruddy. They're japanese copies of a Fender f-style tuner and they're sort of stiff and unpleasant. I'm a tuner snob:)

Has anyone had any experience with the newer re-issue F-style tuners? Should I bother with them? Should I just plop on some other kind of tuners instead?

Also, does anyone have experience matching a single coil bridge pup to a HB in the neck, keef style? I'm curious if you're just supposed to expect a pretty significant volume change or if there's an art to making the 2 pickups co-exist harmoniously.

Thanks for the help guys!

8. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Schaller makes F-style tuners. $59.79 at Guitar parts resource.

[​IMG]

Don Mare can make you a bridge PU to match your HB. Call him and tell him what you need. He'll know what to do.

BTW, $170 sounds like a great deal!

9. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

Looks badass. That was a screamin' good deal.

It's hard to say if the pots are of decent quality--the switch looks fine. The wiring job is terrible, though. I'd re-do all of the wiring. If you can spot any codes on the pots, that would help ID them.

I second the matchstick repair for loose holes. Other than a cleanup, I'd tune in the setup / clean the frets and inspect the nut, get it playing well. Spend some time with it and evaluate the tone as is, tweak from there. If you want a tele sound, that bridge pickup is probably gonna have to go, but you might dig it. Who knows?

10. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

Schaller also makes the new fender labeled f tuners. I have them on my partsocaster, and think they are great. I had some cheap ones that looked like them on my first electric (a squire) and those are reversed from the f tuners, so you would still have exposed screw holes. When I built my partsocaster, I used my squire neck for a few months waiting on the real neck to come, and I had to enlarge the holes for it.

11. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Excellent info guys.

Rockinrob - It looks like I've got the same cheap tuners you're talking about and it seems they're reversed like you mention... You guys think I should go for the same style and exposed holes or just put something different on there with some exposed holes?

Re: wiring - yeah, it looks pretty fugly. I checked out the RS kit here http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=211 and it looks like I could replace all of the electronics for about $35 or so.

Pickups-wise I've got some (I think) older 70's Gibson Tim-buckers that are around 7.5k or so that I thought I'd try in the neck. I've actually wanted to find a project guitar to toss them into and this way I'll give one a shot.

I think I will try out the Duncan and see how it sounds. From their site I think it may actually be a Hot Lead stack as opposed to a quarter pounder. I'll check it out though and see how it sounds. I've got a CS 63 tele and a Nocaster, so I'm covered for traditional tele sounds. I'd like to just have fun with this one and get it sounding and playing great. Having said that, I'm usually not a fan of stupid hot pickups, so we'll see what I think a little later on. I can always get another bridge pup later.

BTW - did I mention that the neck/body joint had never used a backplate? Well, uh, yeah. Don't ask me how, but the neck was attached the body by just the 4 screws, so some unreal torque was on those screws, hence two of them being stripped out. It all looks fine - no damage done, but how the heck do you manage to buy a decent neck and body and forget the neck plate?

Re: it being a deal... Yeah, I actually thought I'd made a silly decision as I'd walked away from the place. It was an hours drive from home and I kind of thought it might be a 70's body and some other neck. One hour is a long time to make up some pretty fantastic stories in your head about what you'll find. He had been asking $270 and I figured if it was an older tele body or something, sure, why not. When I got there though and it was so strange and completely unmarked until you cracked off the neck, I wasn't sure what to make of it. I new it was a parts guitar, but I couldn't figure out how with it being as old as it seemed to be... I should have thought Warmoth, but I spaced. So I offered him $150 for it, knowing I was going to have to drop some TLC on it and he asked $170 to get all of his $$$ back out of it and I said sure.

Last night I looked up the pricing for these kinds of parts - Birdseye maple neck with BE maple fretboard and what I think is a swamp ash body. Whoa. Not cheap stuff these days. I'l make her play like a champ though, so she's found a good home.

Thanks again for all of the help guys!

12. buchla300

buchla300 Member

re tuners: I put Klusons on my tele and like 'em...the Schaller ones are great too. Those are on my G&L F100 I believee
    Yes, those warmoth parts are not cheap these days!

13. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

14. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Just a little update on this guitar...

I took up soldering last week, so I decided to try and get into the guitar and do some work. A friend tried to get the electronics sorted out and that didn't work out so good, so I took it all apart and put it back together with some nicer pots and cloth wire.

I also dropped in a Duncan Little 59 into the bridge to give it a shot, but I'm not liking it very much, which is another story... I think I may give a Harmonic Designs Super 90 a shot and see what I think. The Gibson HB I had around the house sound amazing though.

The frets feel very rough when doing any bending, so I may need a dress. I figured I'd try to get it sounding good before I got into that aspect of things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]