Inca Silver Esquire with Italian Tortoise Guard "redo".

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by IPLAYLOUD, May 22, 2011.

1. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

The latest build by my g/f Dawn of Naked Body Guitars.
    Body was made in a shop by a guy who didn't take "exact specs" into consideration, and he threw on a quick nitro finish in Black with no sealer. The Fender neck was done in a blotchy orange (shade similar to Nash). Dawn stripped it and mildly toned it down...as well as the Inca Silver, which she "warmed" the finish in the clear coat. Lots of coats on this one.
    Her shop reshaped the neck to a nice V and had to do a lot of work to make the body paintable and have parts fit correctly.
    They made the guard from a sheet of old (60's) Italian Acryllic.
    The edges were rolled on the top to match the rounded edges of the body. It's a bit thicker than a regular guard. The light "bounces" in it, like a nice flame maple. Look at the tip of the horn....it's like an Opal.
    This one took a lot of work, and the new owner is thrilled. He handed her a "rough" guitar and got back a beautiful piece.
    The headstock is Inca to match, and yes, it's lefty-strung-righty..

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

This was shot earlier today by the the owner. You can see the thickness and the depth of the Guard, Rounded on the top. Because it's deep, the light reflects inside it.
    The swilrling is not underneath, it goes all through it.

[​IMG]

3. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

thats a NICE guard...

4. Ash82

Ash82 Member

I second that, NICE pickguard!

5. amc

amc Member

a lot a folks are drooling over that incredible pickguard...................

6. simon_62

simon_62 Member

Me three, where can I get some of that?! :D

7. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

When her client mentioned Inca Silver, she thought of that material right away. It goes so well with the Nitro Laquer.
    As he opened the case last Saturday night, we actually heard him lose his breath with a "squeak". ;-)

I believe that was the last of the old Italian Acryllic. It was totally custom made by Tony at NY Music & Repair.
    Try him at 631-225-9698.
    He made this one from 3/8" Plexi, Dawn sprayed it Gretsch Gold from the back. Notice how the screw heads sem to "float" above it. She also did the top and headstock in Burgundy Mist.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  8. farella1

farella1 Member

I have to say that these are works of art.....the Esquire, MY Esquire pictured above is as sweet as can be....the tone is immaculate...the finish and overall appointments are spectacular....

9. will richardson

will richardson The Tennessee to California Connection Silver Supporting Member

Who makes the retofit vibrato? Contact info, does it work well, price?

Thanks in advance.

will richardson

10. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

I don't believe it's made anymore. Look for "Les Trem". It came on another Reverend I bought. I think they were around $100. Works great, feel is between a Bigsby and a Strat. Has a roller bridge.