Incase Slimbag First Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aleclee, Mar 23, 2005.

1. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

When I got home today, there was a friggin' huge box on my front steps.

Friggin' huge...as in 47.5 x 15 x 12.5!

Amidst the bagged air, there was my Slimbag. I took it out and my Driskill fit in in like a glove. This is really more a soft case than a gig bag. It has great padding all around as well as that nifty internal neck support. There are nice little details like feet that keep the bag's nylon exterior from touching the ground (and protecting the strap button) when the bag is resting on end. I have no doubt that it will offer great protection to my babies as I schlep 'em around town.

The "raincoat" is a nice feature but one that I'll probably never use. I suspect it's handy for urbanites who do more than carry their gear from the parking lot into the building. The closet hook is another case (no pun intended) of hyper-engineering. It's heavy enough that it could probably support my significant weight.

The backpack straps are very nice. They're comfy and balance the weight of the bag well on my back. The part of the bag that rests against your back when slung has vented pads just like a proper backpack. If you're just slinging one strap over your shoulder, you'll appreciate the fact that one side has a non-slip rubber coating. In addition to the backpack straps, it has a handle on the side like most gig bags and another behind the guitar's neck that is handy when the bag is on end.

The bag has three zippered compartments. One small one, a medium one, and a large one (funny how that works out). The small one is the new home to my earplugs, Driskill trem bar, and picks. The medium one is the perfect size for a coiled 18' cable. The large compartment is...well...disappointing. It's fairly roomy but doesn't open as wide as I'd like. It's chock full of pockets (four to be exact) but since it doesn't open very wide, putting stuff in those pockets is kind of like stuffing envelopes within a larger envelope. :(

Overall, I'd give it a 9/10. Only the pocket access issue keeps me from finding it flawless. It contains all my regular gig bag goodies (plugs, picks, trem bar, cable, tuner, notebook, spare strings) while providing unrivaled protection.

Is it worth $150 (shipped)? Since I hate carrying hard cases (I love gig bags with backpack straps) and its primary payload set me back 20 times that, in my case the answer is "yes". Your mileage may vary but you'd be getting a premium product for that premium price.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Well done review. Here is what I'll add to your thoughts:

After pounding my Slim and Dub bags for about a year now - and I mean some real use, hot sun, outdoor shows, rain, the whole deal; these bags both look utterly brand new. The guitars I have put in them: Thorn, PRS, Hamer, Melancon, Line 6 have all been held securely, safely and with great confidence by me. Not one hitch yet. Plenty of bangs and knocks as gigging calls for; not one bit of damage to any of my guitars.

I truly feel the great genious of these bags is how well they work in everyday use over time - and they don't wear down, out or even get dirty (super easy to clean up after a stinky bar gig for instance; damp rag and some well diluted dishsoap).

So for me the cost of them will be far outweighed by the amortized cost over the years ahead that you'll (and I'll) use them.

IMHO.

3. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I have an Incase Double that I got late fall, and overall it is great. The big problem is those compartments, try putting much of anything in them and zip em'. Already have two zippers pop off the track. Anyone know a good trick to getting them back on?

Peace,
    Duffy King

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, and already I'm a big fan based on my limited use so far. I too have concerns about the pocket sizes, but hey, you can't really fit that much into a hard case, either. So if I have to carry a small bag with gig stuff, not really that big a deal.

But that said, I'm curious about whether you can fit more usefully into the "Tour" bag they do. I might just order one to find out, since I'd like to have a second gig bag for when I carry a spare. No matter what, the InCase stuff is really well engineered and built. I highly recommend it.

5. Chi

Chi Member

Curious- I went to the INcase site, didn't see anyhting about a double gig bag.... anyone have a link?

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

In another gig bag thread, it was determined that InCase doesn't make them anymore, and also that anyone who owned one would sell a testicle before selling the bag. Or words to that effect.

Too bad - I don't NEED anyone's testicles. But I wouldn't mind having one of those bags... :rolleyes:

7. Chi

Chi Member

Thanks for the info DOC...

8. fractal

fractal Member

I really liked the bag I got from them. Unfortunately, it didn't fit my SJ, so I had to return it. They still haven't returned my charges, but I'm hopeful - it has only been three weeks.

I'm glad you posted a review. I couldn't live with it long before posting a review like I wanted to.

-Garrett

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

It's http://www.goincase.com/

10. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i don't think they make the dub bag anymore...

11. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

The double bag aka "Dub" is no longer offered.

I have mine. :D Whew. :D

12. Chi

Chi Member

if anyone knows of an incase double bag for sale please contact me at my email below in my profile...

THANKS!
    Chi:dude

13. BluWonton

BluWonton Member

The Dub bag is out of stock and on back order.
    It has not been discontinued.

Email them and they'll put you on the list for one.

FWIW-I live and die by my Incase bags, the Tour bag is the best and holds enuff for an overnighter w/ clothes.

14. Chi

Chi Member

I scored one of these Incase Dub bags used for $55 in mint condition....Deal of the Century if you ask me.:dude

This thing is incredible, sturdy and practical. I would have paid much more for it...I LOVE THIS THING...

if they are backordered I can understand why. If they are discontinued...I have no idea why...

15. Powerslave214

Powerslave214 Member

Just an FYI......Incase is revving production of the Slimbags and Dub bags again. The Tour bag (which is the one I reaaalllyyyy wanted) is no more. The new ones start taking orders on April 1st.

16. Powerslave214

Powerslave214 Member

And to dig up an old thread.....I recently got the Incase slim bag...........not only is it the bomb, it's the entire friggin' arsenal!

It really is a thing of beauty. I can't recommend it highly enough.

17. bryanrheem

bryanrheem Member

Has anybody been able to order the Incase dub bag?

18. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

I pre-ordered one a couple of months ago. Should be here Friday.

19. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

All the pre-orders are sold out. Looks like they won't be taking orders again until later in the summer.

20. bryanrheem

bryanrheem Member

That's what I was afraid of. I can't even find an email address of phone number on their website.

Either way, I can't wait until the end of summer. What do you guys think of the Levy's double gig bag?