Incoming 10 yr old Santana II

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
I have always wanted a PRS Santana. One with the classic look of Santana Yellow or Vintage Yellow, zebra pickups, dark (hopefully Brazilian) fretboard, and a old wood looking top, big neck carve (not the later pattern carve), old birds, volume control away from bridge pickup.

I finally found one with all that, and at a good price. Looks to be in mint shape even though it is a decade old. The Vintage Yellow color is of the darker variety, almost Santana Yellow, but you can see in the cutaway it has a cherry back. Guitar should arrive tomorrow. If I can get it setup in time, I will gig with it this weekend.

I'm pretty excited. Here are a few pictures the previous owner sent me:

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Thanks. I love the body carve on these guitars.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
I love those guitars and that's a great example. Hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks.

songtalk

Love it! Carlos rules too. I remember pining for one of these when I was 14. Those were good times.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
I am really looking forward to it.

My favorite Santana recordings are before he was playing a PRS, but I have always loved this model. I played some early ones that were just wonderful. I hope this one is just as good.

sidekick

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats ... Reminds me very much of one, (similar age) that I once had.

It was a really nice guitar, but as I don't play/sound like the man himself ... and with some, (then) expecting 'play bit of Santana', it went to a Carlos enthusiast in North East England.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Just got an update. I will be picking it up today at the FedEx office. He sent me pictures of wrapping the case in bubble wrap, and then a heavy box, so I think it will arrive in good shape.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Well, its here, and it is spectacular. I love the shape and the way it hangs on my body. Just under 8 lbs, no neck dive.

Neck carve is wonderful. Arrow straight neck. Dark Braz board that needs cleaning and conditioning. The trem is decked, and the strings are old and light. In spite of all that, it sounds sweet, with a nice chime in each position. The top is PS quality at least. Above Artist grade, with really old school rippled flame. WIDE flames that are really deep. You would have to go Private Stock to get a guitar like this now, unless you got really lucky with an Artist Pack Santana.

Once I get it strung up, cleaned up and ready for the weekend, I will post a new guitar thread.

Trending Topics