• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Incoming! 1964 Supro Vibra Verb - Mint!

FFTT

Woke up early had some coffee and unboxed the amp.

Looks Great! Hard to believe an amp in this condition
is 48 years old!

I still have to re-install the tubes and will try to get to that later.

Last edited:

Lost_Cause

It looks great. I could never sit there with a boxed amp in my house. I would at least need to unpack it if nothing else.

LPVM

:dude

The amp is Very cool too. ;) All kidding aside, I've got a time capsule amp from that area. It is such a thrill finding one that is pushing 50 but looks and sounds brand new.

FFTT

One again John helps me show off this remarkable Pristine vintage 1964 Supro.

His jaw dropped when he saw the condition it is in for a 48 year old vintage Gem.

Unfortunately, the 10" Jensen was already on its last legs and the cone failed
running under 1/2 power, shortly after this clip was captured. So I will be re-coning it ASAP.

The amp is definitely magical and a total joy to own.

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
Love it. Love that Valco sound man. PM'ed you re: the speaker. IME, Gordon Kjellberg in Seattle is THE MAN for reconning old Jensens and Oxfords. I've had these types of speakers reconned by others before and Gordon does the best work IMO.

FFTT

Always appreciate your insight Leon.

The only hassle is that I'll have to pull the chassis to get to the speakers.

FFTT

These original Jensens leave much to be desired, but I'll get the blown 10" re-coned ASAP and then probably box up both of the original drivers for preservation.

It is clear that these speakers are inefficient, greatly limiting the potential output of this remarkable amp, in both power and tone.

The available room for replacement speakers is limited by the preamp section tubes hanging down rather close behind the speakers.

This amp is 48 years old and if speakers are my only real concern, I'm delighted!

Cornholio

These original Jensens leave much to be desired, but I'll get the blown 10" re-coned ASAP and then probably box up both of the original drivers for preservation.

It is clear that these speakers are inefficient, greatly limiting the potential output of this remarkable amp, in both power and tone.

The available room for replacement speakers is limited by the preamp section tubes hanging down rather close behind the speakers.

This amp is 48 years old and if speakers are my only real concern, I'm delighted!
Not a fan of brown label Jensens either. They are nice at low volumes with a strat. But I find them too dark and muddy at higher volumes. I'd be curious to hear how this sounds with some replacements.

FFTT

I'm a bit amp rich, speaker poor for the rest of the month :)

I'm not complaining.

Reeves Super 78
Reeves OS 2X12
Fane Medusa 150-C
1964 Supro

I kinda sorta splurged a bit this month.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom